EPG is tiny and unreadable

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

JamesB - 39 minutes ago  » 

Hogweed - 1 hour ago  » 
    Looks like my humble telly (Samsung UE40EH5000) hasn't got that. Tempting fate I know, but the Humax hasn't misbehaved since I set the output to 1080p, as suggested above. Fingers crossed...

On my ES5500 it's Menu -> System -> Anynet.

There's a thread somewhere that if I remember correctly was a Samsung TV), that had no way of disabling CEC. The poster in the end bought one of the HDMI adaptors that disables the CEC contacts. I did have a look at the OP's TV manual, despite it clearly having some advanced features it makes no mention of CEC control at all.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindy-HDMI-Less-Female-Adapter/dp/B00DL48KVI/?tag=blusas008-21

/?tag=blusas008-21

I notice there are some negative reviews on Amazon for this device. One reviewer says:

Verified Purchase
    Using this did not disable CEC on my device as it still continued to work, i eventually resorted to peeling the sleeve off a HDMI cable, finding the core that was connected to pin 13 and cutting it, worked a treat... now i am going to do the same to another HDMI cable but this time with a bit more care and neatness so that i can use it permanently :-).

Might be the only sure way...

| Fri 1 May 2015 19:40:49 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

There's a discussion at http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=4694.15 about disabling Pin 13.

Diagram at http://www.hdmi.org/installers/insidehdmicable.aspx

I would do a trial first using a cheap Poundland cable.

| Sat 2 May 2015 8:45:34 #32 |
  3. Hogweed

Hogweed

I think when I was a little younger I might have started opening cables up and things, but too old and tired now, I think

I studied the amp manual and, like the TV, it doesn't seem to have any facility for turning this CEC business off.

Still performing OK (he said, horribly tempting fate again...) now all I have to do is write 15-step macros on my Harmony remote to assign single button presses to all the routine functions

| Sat 2 May 2015 9:06:29 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Fingers crossed. If it does flare up again, it's worth asking in your local Maplin's. At one time they would have sold you a suitable cable or bent the pin for you. Not sure if they do that kind of service anymore.

| Sat 2 May 2015 9:24:20 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The SKY box which it replaced is fast, easy, intuitive, bug-free, and doesn't require multiple button presses to perform tasks which should need only one – the only reason I got rid of it is that I don’t want to pay SKY a subscription just to be able to record free channels.

Sounds to me like you got a faulty one then

We had two Sky boxes when I was a subscriber and I wouldn't say they were the sort of units you could set and forget. Lock ups were frequent - I ended up with house maids knee from crouching behind the TV unplugging the darned things.

The Humax 1000s on the other hand has been a pleasure to own and to use (touches head repeatedly). Simply a different perspective from another owner.

| Sun 3 May 2015 23:35:30 #35 |
  6. Hogweed

Hogweed

Can’t find any menu option on the TV for CEC or Anynet. Switching the telly on and off etc does seem to mess about with the Sony receiver, but never the Humax.

I think someone posted my Sony manual above, showing where to disable it there… so I think I’ll try that. Unfortunately I have little understanding of this stuff, but am I right in thinking, if I disable it in the amp, it won’t “get through” to the Humax either?

| Wed 6 May 2015 13:14:43 #36 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.