My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

EPG Recieving data , not.

(15 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

avalon65 - 31 minutes ago  » 
    It seems some people are missing the point or I am not explaining it very well.
    My wife like to watch a lot programs on what we commonly call catchup tv. For the first week or so of having the box, catchup tv was working fine. If she wanted to watch a program which was on BBC1 or 2, then the BBC iPlayer is used to watch the said program.
    Now it is my understanding that the BBC iPlayer needs an internet connection, because when a BBC program is selected to watch on catchup, a message appears saying 'Checking network connection'.
    I left the box on the epg list for a couple of hours earlier, and at some point during that time the small picture which shows the current program did appear. I then tried to watch a BBC1 program from 2 days ago, and the BBC iPlayer came up with the brocken ring spinning around, and finally said 'Something went wrong'. I then exited back to the epg, which was now blank. The box is powered on for most of the day and night, and after 2 hours the epg was still blank, and I had to do a hard restart.
    If I don't need an internet connection, why does it give the message about checking network, and also why doesn't BBC iPlayer work then if I don't need a internet connection.

The internet connection is of course required for Video On Demand services. It is not needed for the epg to work and use as a PVR recording satellite delivered programmes. The internet is of course needed for the backwards epg VOD services to work.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 20:23:03 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Yes, I thought that an internet connection would be needed for video on demand as it called , and maybe not catch up tv.

I have been having trouble with video on demand for a few days now, and started coincidentally when the weather changed earlier in the week.

Anyway, not that I'll ever find out why BBC iPlayer would not play or work before, but now it does, and the pig is there for the current program.
    As I said in my op, I have a good internet connection and all my other devices connect to where ever without any problems.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 21:11:28 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

avalon65 - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Yes, I thought that an internet connection would be needed for video on demand as it called , and maybe not catch up tv.
    I have been having trouble with video on demand for a few days now, and started coincidentally when the weather changed earlier in the week.
    Anyway, not that I'll ever find out why BBC iPlayer would not play or work before, but now it does, and the pig is there for the current program.
    As I said in my op, I have a good internet connection and all my other devices connect to where ever without any problems.

Video On Demand is all the free catch up services plus the few you have to pay for.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 21:20:44 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Just to confirm,
    you need internet for iplayer

sometimes when scrolling back in time on the EPG there will be programmes that aren't available for catchup due to licensing issues or they've not long finished live so you need to wait an hour or two after live broadcast.
    Channel 4HD won't show any catchup as they don't offer HD catchup so you need to look at normal SD Channel 4

Sometimes iplayer have a problem at their end and you just need to try again and again. Sometimes it's your local internet provider that is having problems.

Sometimes the Humax box simply gets confused and powering down and restarting normally fixes it if the box becomes unresponsive.

Catchup TV will never be as reliable as live broadcast. I'd advise recording as much as possible and watching that and using Catchup to catch up on programmes you've missed

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 21:29:43 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Ok thanks for the information re iplayer and the Humax box.
    I have a 750Gb HD connected and because we not recorded any programs in years, we never think to record programs now. That will change soon enough!

We had VM for years and their catch up tv worked almost 100%, but then some programs were not always available.
    Thanks.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 21:46:16 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.