My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Ethernet vs Wi-Fi

(44 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

So before I buy a 5000t I was wondering which way should I connect it to the internet- Ethernet or Wi-Fi? Is there any difference or is it just personal choice? I have normal broadband (not fibre) in case that makes any difference.

Thank you

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 9:49:30 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ethernet cable is the best way and likely to give you the fastest connection. You can easily share a single cable with multiple kit.

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-V14-5-Ports-Ethernet/dp/B0766D8HZ3/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&tag=blusas008-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1533200174&sr=1-6&keywords=network+switch

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 9:57:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I would always have said Ethernet. However, since getting a 'Mesh WiFi' kit our property now has blazing fast and very reliable WiFi not just within the property but right down to the bottom of our garden too.

As a result I've now switched all our TVs and other kit over to WiFi and made our HomePlugs mostly redundant.

Best bit of tech I've purchased in a long while.

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 11:20:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Christina2018 - 1 hour ago  » 
    So before I buy a 5000t I was wondering which way should I connect it to the internet- Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

My advice would be if it is easy to run an Ethernet cable from the router then that is likely to be the least troublesome and best performance. However if that isn't easy then try the WiFi; if the signal strength is reasonable then it should be perfectly adequate.

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 11:38:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

Sorry I probably should have said our internet modem (I think that's what it's called, it's the box next to the computer from BT) is upstairs and the TV/Humax set up downstairs. Does that make any difference?

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 11:51:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Christina2018 - 7 minutes ago  » ...Does that make any difference?

Only in that can you run an ethernet cable easily? If not then try wifi. It's built in to the box so no cost to try.

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 12:00:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

I wouldn't be able to run a cable downstairs but thought I could do it through the electricity sockets? As you might be able to tell I'm new to all this

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 12:04:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Mine works quite happily on Wi-Fi. That being said, if you cannot see the Wi-Fi signal at the Humax it won't work!

You can buy "Ethernet across the mains supply" adapters. Google it.

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 14:14:53 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Christina2018 - 4 hours ago  » 
    ... I have normal broadband (not fibre) in case that makes any difference.

That should probably be OK - I don't think that watching on-demand uses more than about 1 Mbits/sec which you should get on your non-broadband internet connection.

Go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ or similar site and measure your download speed. What is it?

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 14:20:23 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 4 minutes ago  » 

Christina2018 - 4 hours ago  » 
    ... I have normal broadband (not fibre) in case that makes any difference.

That should probably be OK - I don't think that watching on-demand uses more than about 1 Mbits/sec which you should get on your non-broadband internet connection.
    Go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ or similar site and measure your download speed. What is it?

iplayer-HD uses 2.8 Mbps for best quality pictures. Netflix HD needs 5 Mbps. Not sure what Christina 2018 means by normal broadband. Very very few have fibre into their homes, it's normally coax cabled from a street pillar. my 100 Mbps Virgin connection is coax cabled.

| Thu 2 Aug 2018 14:29:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.