My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Ethernet vs Wi-Fi

(44 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A WiFi Phone app would show you how good the WiFi signal is in the desired location. While Home plugs do provide more or less the same connection as a wired cable they could be an unnecessary extra expense.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:57:03 #41 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 minute ago  » 
    If you refer back to post #7, she cannot run a cable. I think she means Powerline plugs.

Without more information hard to say if Homeplug adaptors will work and the newer ones with power saving can be a pain in the neck. I ran a CAT 6 cable through wall ran it up the wall behind a drainpipe into the loft and down behind the plaster board to the router.

In the end wireless may well work, without more info no one can possibly know.

Perhaps a friend with some WiFi kit could simply connect to her router to find out what the signal and speed is like.

Edit Repassac posted while I was adding the above

The single cable services all my kit using a network switch. (7 items).

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:59:33 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Christina... Graham is correct, you need to get a relative, friend, neighbour to stand at the new location and hook into your WiFi. No need for a special app, just go into settings/WiFi and get a speed reading (Mbps). That should be sufficient to give some indication of the WiFi capability.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 11:52:27 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

I've managed to do a broadband speed check, I used a BT one as the one recommended on here wouldn't work for some reason. It says I have 'good speed' and the numbers are 11.5Mb/s. I think that's from the exchange to my BT Home Hub. If I need to do it wi-fi then I'll have to wait until someone can come around with their modern gizmos (phone/iPad etc) :-). Thank you for all the help so far- I'm finding all of this one big minefield at the moment.

| Thu 16 Aug 2018 10:29:01 #44 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.