My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Ethernet vs Wi-Fi

(44 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Pollensa1946 - 15 minutes ago  » 
    ..but what does that mean in practical terms, relates to wifi speeds?

I am not an expert in this field but my understanding is that power is not related to speed. The increase in speed with the newer standards come from improvements in the way that the data is transmitted and more efficient use of multiple aerial configurations. Increase in power is related to the distance that the signal can be received at and the ability to penetrate through walls and other obstructions.

| Sat 4 Aug 2018 21:20:28 #31 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

We are losing the whole point of this thread, not sure why Christina2018 doesn't simply post the results of a simple (and free) download/upload test.

Without this info how can anyone comment ?

Chances are that this is not an issue that could easily be resolved if the OP simply gave us the information requested more than once

| Sat 4 Aug 2018 22:22:07 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Chances are that this is not an issue that could easily be resolved if the OP simply gave us the information requested more than once

I don't think there is an issue. When the thread started she hadn't purchased the Humax and was just looking for general guidance.

| Sat 4 Aug 2018 23:15:46 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hi Christina.
    Generally. On I have a BT router. With my 5000t connected via Wi-Fi.
    This is without any problems. I haven't had hardly any speed drop off, or internet drop out. My router is a series 4( not the newest ). If you have a connection problem from your box to the router there is a way around it.

B T has a Wi-Fi range extender box. It's simple to set up you plug it into the mains anywhere that's a lot nearer to your 5000t than your router.

You then link it to the Wi-Fi side of your router like anything using the router password.

Then you would set up the Wi-Fi on the5000t linked to the extender.

This bit can be a bit tricky, when you link the 5000t to the extender remember,the extender has a different name than your router.

Going back to setting up the extender there are 3 lights 1 red that's also marked too near, another red that's marked too far. want the only green light to be on that means it has a good lock onto your B T router.

My situation was the reverse of yours, and I had to set my extender on the other side of our house, but upstairs. If the extender is next to your 5000t you can then have a choice of Wi Fi or ethernet connection between the two of them.
    The extender really does need a very weak signal from your router in order to boost it. my BT booster is twin channel as is my router.

Of course, you may be ok and when doing the first install & set up the 5000t may find your router itself, rather than going down the signal booster route. Good Luck.

| Sun 5 Aug 2018 9:27:04 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Mesh systems put everything else in the shade. Get one of these systems and the days of iffy WiFi are just a distant memory. Makes all the latest routers look like yesterdays tech.

| Sun 12 Aug 2018 13:59:28 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 week ago  » 
    We are losing the whole point of this thread, not sure why Christina2018 doesn't simply post the results of a simple (and free) download/upload test.

This message came across a bit rude I feel. The reason I haven't replied is I have had family staying over and haven't been online for a while. I do not have any other wi-fi products in the house to check for speeds. I use a desktop computer and don't own a tablet, laptop or smartphone. Also I'm not very au fait with wi-fi so I didn't know if there would be a general 'wifi is better' or 'ethernet is better' answer to my question.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:08:23 #36 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Christina2018 - 4 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 week ago  » 

This message came across a bit rude I feel. The reason I haven't replied is I have had family staying over and haven't been online for a while. I do not have any other wi-fi products in the house to check for speeds. I use a desktop computer and don't own a tablet, laptop or smartphone. Also I'm not very au fait with wi-fi so I didn't know if there would be a general 'wifi is better' or 'ethernet is better' answer to my question.

I answered your question way back in this thread. A wired ethernet cable is the best option but of course requires a cable running. Wireless may well work as well or not. Without some sort of idea as to the wireless strength at the location no one can possibly know, As the box will have built in WiFi all you can do is try it. If the signal is poor other than a wired solution you can try a pair of homeplug adaptors that use your house wiring. Ideally both units should be on the same ring main, if they are not then speed is adversely affected.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:18:15 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

Thank you for your reply. So is Ethernet the same thing as putting one of those plugs in the socket that then makes sockets in other rooms have the internet? I really have never come across all this before as I've never need internet in any other room other than the one where the computer is in (which the bt box is in) so it's always been easy until now.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:23:01 #38 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Christina2018 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for your reply. So is Ethernet the same thing as putting one of those plugs in the socket that then makes sockets in other rooms have the internet? I really have never come across all this before as I've never need internet in any other room other than the one where the computer is in (which the bt box is in) so it's always been easy until now.

Examples here. Just buy one long enough to reach from box to the router network switch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xethernet+.TRS0&_nkw=ethernet+cable&_sacat=0

The flat cable can be run round a carpeted room fairly easily by just tucking down the carpet edge.

Run this on your desktop and post the speed you get from your isp

https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:28:01 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

If you refer back to post #7, she cannot run a cable. I think she means Powerline plugs.

| Mon 13 Aug 2018 10:49:39 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.