My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

File Transfer for storage and back? 9200T

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

I have a 9200T and wanting to perform a HDD format and default reset. This is due to it occasionally 'locking up' and the other faults people have seen so hopefully it will fix the issues. It's also been 5+ years since I bought it so probably about time.

So, I am currently backing up the stored TV recordings. Basically it's lots of programs and movies which helps to keep the kids entertained (as I don't have any smart TV etc keeping the recordings is the simplest way). I managed to find the details for installing windows 7 transfer software so everything is good there.
    It is currently transferring files to my PC storage and this is where my questions come in.
    It is currently transferring at 1400KB/s. Is this the fastest it can go over USB?? I think it took over half an hour just to transfer 1.7Gb (one program).
    Next, once I have got all the files off (which may be in several days) can I put them all back on once formatted?

I would just like to give my Humax box one more chance at working fully again as I just find it so easy to use and don't know what would be a suitable replacement anyway.

| Thu 3 Dec 2015 20:21:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

adon30 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I managed to find the details for installing windows 7 transfer software so everything is good there.

Which software are you using?

| Thu 3 Dec 2015 22:48:11 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

adon30 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have a 9200T and wanting to perform a HDD format and default reset. This is due to it occasionally 'locking up' and the other faults people have seen so hopefully it will fix the issues. It's also been 5+ years since I bought it so probably about time.
    So, I am currently backing up the stored TV recordings. Basically it's lots of programs and movies which helps to keep the kids entertained (as I don't have any smart TV etc keeping the recordings is the simplest way). I managed to find the details for installing windows 7 transfer software so everything is good there.
    It is currently transferring files to my PC storage and this is where my questions come in.
    It is currently transferring at 1400KB/s. Is this the fastest it can go over USB?? I think it took over half an hour just to transfer 1.7Gb (one program).
    Next, once I have got all the files off (which may be in several days) can I put them all back on once formatted?
    I would just like to give my Humax box one more chance at working fully again as I just find it so easy to use and don't know what would be a suitable replacement anyway.

Do you really mean locking-up, the 9200 will not respond at all, or that the 9200 sometimes takes a while to respond to remote commands but does eventually respond? If the latter I'm afraid this is and old computer trying to cope with too much data, mine has the same problem. I have now bought a Panasonic machine but like you I like the 9200 so want to keep it going. I am going to try installing an earlier version of software, pre Freeview+, to see if the machine can be as slick as it used to be. I will of course be forfeiting Accurate-Record and Series-Link but these features seem to be working well on the new Panasonic. I don't think formatting the hard disk will help, however a Default Setting and a Manual Search might be worth doing.

| Thu 3 Dec 2015 23:11:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

Martin Liddle - 11 hours ago  » 

I'm using the Humax Media Controller V1.02 (GUI Interface)

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 9:55:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

Biggles - 10 hours ago  » 
    Do you really mean locking-up, the 9200 will not respond at all, or that the 9200 sometimes takes a while to respond to remote commands but does eventually respond? If the latter I'm afraid this is and old computer trying to cope with too much data, mine has the same problem. I have now bought a Panasonic machine but like you I like the 9200 so want to keep it going. I am going to try installing an earlier version of software, pre Freeview+, to see if the machine can be as slick as it used to be. I will of course be forfeiting Accurate-Record and Series-Link but these features seem to be working well on the new Panasonic. I don't think formatting the hard disk will help, however a Default Setting and a Manual Search might be worth doing.

It does lock up but yes the freezing of commands does occur but it is getting to happen more often. It does usually recover but it has the odd occasion where it will not respond at all and needs a power off.
    I have noticed that the 'slow' responses usually occur after power on so it is busy doing other things I guess.
    Previously the auto search would pull up weird channels (was it 800s or 900s) and I've deleted these from the search. In fact I delete about 50% of the freeview channels after a search. Because they are either data, pay channels or just plain junk.
    I will try a manual search as well and continue the back up for now.

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 10:03:54 #5 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

adon30 - 1 hour ago  » 
    It does lock up but yes the freezing of commands does occur but it is getting to happen more often. It does usually recover but it has the odd occasion where it will not respond at all and needs a power off.
    I have noticed that the 'slow' responses usually occur after power on so it is busy doing other things I guess.
    Previously the auto search would pull up weird channels (was it 800s or 900s) and I've deleted these from the search. In fact I delete about 50% of the freeview channels after a search. Because they are either data, pay channels or just plain junk.

Your experience sound very similar to mine these days with the 9200 but mine very rarely locks up completely. Simply deleting the 800s channels is not good enough, you need to prevent the unwanted multiplexes being received in the first place, a Manual Search allows you to do this. I tune the 9200 to just four multiplexes which gives a fully populated EPG and may reduce the delay to remote commands. The data channels must be deleted after whatever type of search you do as selecting one of these channels will lock up the 9200 big time requiring some nifty button pressing to recover from. Using Edit Channels delete from channel 225 up to, but not including, the BBC RB_ channels plus any junk channels you personally want to remove. If you do format the hard disk I will be interested to hear if you see any improvement in 9200 performance, personally I don't think it will.

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 12:00:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

adon30 - 2 hours ago  » 

Some time since I last used that; is that transferring only the .ts file? If so I don't think you will be able to put the recordings back. The alternative would be to use humaxrw which will transfer the other associated files with the .ts and will allow the recordings to be replaced on the 9200 after formatting. However it requires a direct connection to the hard drive (I have used an IDE to USB converter) rather than the USB port on the Humax.

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 12:11:18 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

adon30 - 2 hours ago  » In fact I delete about 50% of the freeview channels after a search. Because they are either data, pay channels or just plain junk.

Deleting individual channels will not make the slightest bit of difference. The reason being is that the Humax stores the entire data for the channels it original found for the multiplex whether or not you delete them, pr didn't store all of them when tuning. You can check this mu manual tuning against a multiplex where you have already deleted channels You will find that the channels you previously deleted are instantly populated in the programme guide.

To avoid stressing the box with the data from a multiplex you will need to wipe out all channels by starting and stopping an auto-tune and then omit the multiplex from your manual tuning.

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 13:05:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

Martin Liddle - 54 minutes ago  » 

adon30 - 2 hours ago  » 

Some time since I last used that; is that transferring only the .ts file? If so I don't think you will be able to put the recordings back. The alternative would be to use humaxrw which will transfer the other associated files with the .ts and will allow the recordings to be replaced on the 9200 after formatting. However it requires a direct connection to the hard drive (I have used an IDE to USB converter) rather than the USB port on the Humax.

Yes they are .ts files which to my surprise do actually play on the PC.
    Is Humaxrw any faster? I need to look into what connections I have inside the PC as it's fairly new and don't remember it having an older IDE cable.

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 13:09:02 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

Luke - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Deleting individual channels will not make the slightest bit of difference. The reason being is that the Humax stores the entire data for the channels it original found for the multiplex whether or not you delete them, pr didn't store all of them when tuning. You can check this mu manual tuning against a multiplex where you have already deleted channels You will find that the channels you previously deleted are instantly populated in the programme guide.
    To avoid stressing the box with the data from a multiplex you will need to wipe out all channels by starting and stopping an auto-tune and then omit the multiplex from your manual tuning.

Will try that as people have suggested. Sounds like a good staring point. Hopefully have some feedback on that in a day or two.

| Fri 4 Dec 2015 13:12:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.