My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Fire at Bilsdale mast, total loss of freeview.

(12 posts)
  1. barrados

barrados

You may have noticed your TV and radio has gone off…

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue along with crews from Cleveland Fire Brigade were in attendance at a fire involving Bilsdale Mast which provides the TV signal for the region.

TV and radio services for more than a million people will remain off air indefinitely after a transmitter fire.

The blaze at the Bilsdale mast on Tuesday disrupted Freeview, DAB and FM radio signals across North Yorkshire, Teesside and parts of County Durham.

Operator Arqiva said it would bring in temporary equipment but could not say when services would be restored.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 8:46:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Apparently some service has been restored in the area on one or more of the affected relays, presumably by hastily rearranging the signal feed.

Also, Darlington Council have warned people about a scammer who is going to houses claiming to be able to restore service with an expensive new aerial.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-58184228

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 14:26:48 #2 |
  3. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

barrados - 7 hours ago  » 
    North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue along with crews from Cleveland Fire Brigade were in attendance at a fire involving Bilsdale Mast which provides the TV signal for the region.
    TV and radio services for more than a million people will remain off air indefinitely after a transmitter fire.
    The blaze at the Bilsdale mast on Tuesday disrupted Freeview, DAB and FM radio signals across North Yorkshire, Teesside and parts of County Durham.
    Operator Arqiva said it would bring in temporary equipment but could not say when services would be restored.

That sounds really serious. You can still get TV via the catch up services presumably in the meantime?

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 16:15:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Paul Bton - 9 mins ago  » 

barrados - 7 hours ago  » 

That sounds really serious. You can still get TV via the catch up services presumably in the meantime?

Yes, assuming you have suitable kit and do not rely on one of the mobile phone services from the Bilsdale mast.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 16:27:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Accidental duplicate post deleted.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 16:28:22 #5 |
  6. barrados

barrados

If you live in county durham and point your antenna towards pontop pike transmitter, then you would be able to pick most if not all channels.

As for broadcast been restored (they don't say where or what regions!) But as of 4pm I know nothing has changed , Newton Aycliffe, Tindale, Bishop Auckland, Darlington, Northallerton.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 17:12:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

This issue is nothing to do with the Aura, but there does not seem to be an obvious forum section where it should be located.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 18:45:45 #7 |
  8. brian

brian

special member

A1944 - 5 mins ago  » 
    This issue is nothing to do with the Aura, but there does not seem to be an obvious forum section where it should be located.

Possibly https://myhumax.org/forum/forum/broadcast-news

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 18:52:01 #8 |
  9. barrados

barrados

A1944 - 5 mins ago  » 

No definitely not anything to do with the Aura (unless you own one and unaware of the situation) , but I've had friends phone me up for advice who are Aura owners from my recommendation!! Asking how to fix the no signal banner.. not knowing about the mast fire.
    Any how, fingers crossed and a few weeks it will be all in the past, depending on the actual damage.

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 18:59:05 #9 |
  10. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

barrados - 43 mins ago  » 

A1944 - 5 mins ago  » 

No definitely not anything to do with the Aura (unless you own one and unaware of the situation) , but I've had friends phone me up for advice who are Aura owners from my recommendation!! Asking how to fix the no signal banner.. not knowing about the mast fire.
    Any how, fingers crossed and a few weeks it will be all in the past, depending on the actual damage.

Maybe we need a special transmitter section or is that covered on other forums (fora)?

| Thu 12 Aug 2021 19:45:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.