My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

frozen at 'starting' screen

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yorky

the display shows 'starting' and that's as far as it goes. The remote doesn't move it or turn the machine off - I've had to unplug from the mains and I've no idea what to do next - I am in no way technical minded!

| Thu 14 Jul 2016 23:14:57 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Have you tried turning it on again ? Welcome to our forum.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 8:04:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yorky

Hello Graham, thank you for the reply and welcome. Yes I have unplugged all the wires etc and turned on again just now but still stuck at the 'starting' display. Any more suggestions?

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:24:56 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yorky - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Hello Graham, thank you for the reply and welcome. Yes I have unplugged all the wires etc and turned on again just now but still stuck at the 'starting' display. Any more suggestions?

How old is the unit ? If out of warranty do you have a friend that could try disconnecting the hard drive (it's very easy) to see if the box will then boot ?

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:34:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yorky

Thanks Graham The box is just under 2 years old. I don't know anyone that could disconnect the hard drive but as you say it's easy could you talk me through what to do and I'll have a go although as said previously I am not in the least technical and being a female am from 'Venus'!

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:41:31 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yorky - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Graham The box is just under 2 years old. I don't know anyone that could disconnect the hard drive but as you say it's easy could you talk me through what to do and I'll have a go although as said previously I am not in the least technical and being a female am from 'Venus'!

If you registered the box with Humax, it will have a 2yr warranty. Contact them by phone and describe your issue.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 13:53:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yorky

When I purchased the new TV in Nov 14 I was sold the Humax box at the same time. Unfortunately although the receipt shows the purchase of the TV is doesn't show the Humax so I have to presume that I didn't register it even though I did register the TV.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 15:41:28 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yorky - 48 minutes ago  » 
    When I purchased the new TV in Nov 14 I was sold the Humax box at the same time. Unfortunately although the receipt shows the purchase of the TV is doesn't show the Humax so I have to presume that I didn't register it even though I did register the TV.

If you ring Humax they will be able to tell you if you registered the purchase. To get into the box you will have to break the security seal and invalidate any warranty you may have. Disconnecting the hard drive may or may not allow the box to boot. If it boots without the drive a new hard drive should get it working again. It should have come with a card you can send to Humax or you could have registered it on the internet.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 16:33:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Yorky

Thanks Graham, I have emailed them as I am in France. A long story but when I bought the TV & Humax box as suggested by the retailer, the store set everything up for me so that all I had to do was get on the ferry and collect it. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I didn't have an invoice so I got onto the shop who emailed an invoice but it did not include the Humax purchase which I hadn't noticed. I was not given a registration card otherwise I certainly would have registered it.

However, I do still have the email correspondence where the retailer states he has got the box for me, the price etc and that he would register the TV for me (although does not mention registering the Humax) and my reponse telling him that payment had been sent electronically. However I realise that this is not the same as actually registering it.

So I will probably break the seal and if I need a new drive then I may just take the view 'c'est la vie' and get a new Sky box instead. I do have an old Sky box but it is not HD and is why the store recommended a new HD box to go with the TV.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 16:58:51 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You do realise that a Sky-HD box will not record unless you have a subscription ? You cannot subscribe to Sky from an address not in the UK.

Basically it becomes a single tuner non recording set top box.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 18:14:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.