My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T won't turn on!

(44 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brian H

Well, I have found the perfect solution to the Humax lock up problem. Throw it in the bin, buy a Panasonic!! It works first time out of the box, no problems with any applications, never locks up, always records as it should. Software it sorted and reliable. Humax need to take a long hard look at themselves with such a poor product.

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 11:44:45 #31 |
  2. Freddy

Freddy

Hi Brian, nice one mate, appreciate your humour.
    Ive already been there and done what you're about to do.
    I bought the new Panasonic , great piece of kit easy set up no real problems with it OTHER than you can’t pause/rewind any program that you are actually recording for some reason.
    Found this very frustrating as having started to record Coronation Street for example,, you then can’t intervene and pause it whilst the adverts come on etc etc if you are actually recording it.
    Strange phenomenon the Panasonic. This is just the way they are built Im afraid and then I switched over to the Humax 4000T

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 12:16:39 #32 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Freddy - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Brian, nice one mate, appreciate your humour.
    Ive already been there and done what you're about to do.
    I bought the new Panasonic , great piece of kit easy set up no real problems with it OTHER than you can’t pause/rewind any program that you are actually recording for some reason.
    Found this very frustrating as having started to record Coronation Street for example,, you then can’t intervene and pause it whilst the adverts come on etc etc if you are actually recording it.
    Strange phenomenon the Panasonic. This is just the way they are built Im afraid and then I switched over to the Humax 4000T

Surely you can replay the recording as it happens (a minute or so behind real time - ie chasing playback). You should then be able to pause etc to your hearts content

This is the best way to view ITV, if you watch a recording about 15 minutes after the programme starts you can skip all the ads and finish viewing about the same time as the live programme finishes.

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 14:39:13 #33 |
  4. Freddy

Freddy

Nope sorry to disappoint but I found this impossible to do.

It states in one of the reviews that one of the big disadvantages is
    "Most functions work without fuss – copying files from USB to the hard disk is easy, and I had no problems accessing DLNA servers via Wi-Fi. Blu-ray discs load quickly and the Quick Start mode means you don’t have to wait long for the deck to boot up. The main limitation – and it’s a pretty big one – is that you can’t access DLNA playback or copy videos when a recording is in progress.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmr-pwt550-review#mOvwtgg3yTemHkSA.99,

Unless I was doing something wrong. I explained this problem to the bloke in the shop when I took it back. He agreed with me and didn't hesitate in giving me a full refund and I then bought the Humax to replace it.

By the way the problem of the Humax locking up has completely disappeared on my machine since I turned the server setting to OFF. Hope this helps.

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 17:59:44 #34 |
  5. anthonygriff

anthonygriff

Brian H - 8 hours ago  » 
    Well, I have found the perfect solution to the Humax lock up problem. Throw it in the bin, buy a Panasonic!! It works first time out of the box, no problems with any applications, never locks up, always records as it should. Software it sorted and reliable. Humax need to take a long hard look at themselves with such a poor product.

Which three tuner Panasonic model is this?

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 19:53:24 #35 |
  6. Freddy

Freddy

PANASONIC DMR-PWT550, there,s a link to the review in my post I think

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 20:27:17 #36 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Freddy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Nope sorry to disappoint but I found this impossible to do.
    It states in one of the reviews that one of the big disadvantages is
    "Most functions work without fuss – copying files from USB to the hard disk is easy, and I had no problems accessing DLNA servers via Wi-Fi. Blu-ray discs load quickly and the Quick Start mode means you don’t have to wait long for the deck to boot up. The main limitation – and it’s a pretty big one – is that you can’t access DLNA playback or copy videos

when a recording is in progress.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmr-pwt550-review#mOvwtgg3yTemHkSA.99,
    Unless I was doing something wrong. I explained this problem to the bloke in the shop when I took it back. He agreed with me and didn't hesitate in giving me a full refund and I then bought the Humax to replace it.
    By the way the problem of the Humax locking up has completely disappeared on my machine since I turned the server setting to OFF. Hope this helps.

I was replying to your post re time shifting and your Panasonic PVR.

All Humax pvrs have been able to watch recordings in chasing playback for many years. I just assumed your Panny PVR could do the same.

If it can't it lacks one of the major advantages of a modern pvr.

1 Chasing playback of a recording in progress

2 Independent forward and reverse skip keys (default, -15 seconds, forward + 2 mins, minus 2 seconds). Most ad breaks are around 2 mins. Two forward is a few seconds over 4 mins, a small overshoot is easily corrected.

Of course your Panasonic unit has only two tuners, the Humax has three.

However Humax twin tuner units have the capability to watch a third channel with only two tuners. No idea if Panasonic boxes have the sanme capability but posts from owners seem to indicate not. Adding a third tuner adds a clear advantage if you only have a single pvr, especially in watching third channels while recording three (which the Panasonic can't do anyway_.

I don't have a 4000T, however given that Humax does eventually sort out the software issues reported here, would seem that once this is sorted that the Hunax box will be more versatile than the Panasonic unit.

Additionally the Humax unit has the capability to export SD recordings so you can view on a mobile device anywhere. Afaik the Panasonic box cannot let you do this.

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 22:16:40 #37 |
  8. Freddy

Freddy

Yes agree that once the niggles have ben sorted out on the Humax 4000T it will be a great piece of kit. Mine has sorted itself out now and I am extremely grateful.

To answer the point you raised about watch a third channel with only 2 tuners on the Panny; it says Dual Freeview HD tuners let you record two channels at once. You can even watch a third channel while two others are recording, provided it’s on the same Freeview multiplex as either of the channels being recorded. The DMR-PWT550 also brings all the PVR functionality we know and love, such as series recording, pause/rewind live TV and clash alerts.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmr-pwt550-review#c0wLQ9hUuWX8qrlx.99

So yes it can in theory.

Must admit the picture quality with its fully fledged 3D Blu-ray deck with 4K upscaling was incredible and that was why I chose it in the first place as Ive got 4k Ultra HD Samsung tv. Sadly I had to take it back.
    Thanks for your input.

| Sun 10 Jul 2016 23:05:31 #38 |
  9. anthonygriff

anthonygriff

Freddy - 21 hours ago  » 
    PANASONIC DMR-PWT550, there,s a link to the review in my post I think

Thanks for your reply but I already checked the link and as someone else has said, that only has two tuners. That's why I asked the question of which THREE tuner Panasonic. It was a serious question as I'm getting a bit cheesed off with this machine and have been looking for an alternative for my wife.

I don't want to go the EE route though.

edit: Oops, should have said an alternative machine on behalf of my wife.

| Mon 11 Jul 2016 18:28:01 #39 |
  10. Freddy

Freddy

Ha nice one, might be easier looking for an alternative for your wife than a reliable 3 tuner replacement for the Humax.
    I don't think there is one, & hence your question I suppose.

I forgot the Panny was only 2 as I remember reading that you can operate it in effect as a 3 tuner machine by watching 1 & recording on the other 2 at the same time in certain circumstances.
    You could always set one programme to be recorded off the +1 channel I suppose?
    What problems are you still having with your Humax then?
    Mine were solved with switching the server to OFFin settings and by rebooting the machine.
    Touch wood all the problems I had with not coming on automatically and recording etc have disappeared.

That Panasonic is a great piece of kit though, especially inked to a good quality 4k Ultra HD TV, well worth a try and if youre not entirely happy then take it back, most reputable high street retailers eg John Lewis etc would normally do so with receipts etc

| Mon 11 Jul 2016 19:21:00 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.