My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Given up on Aura, any tips on replacement?

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

timiambeing

Hi all - after weeks of not being able to load any catch-up apps, now my Aura seems to be switching itself off and rebooting in the middle of recordings!! Has anyone dumped their Humax and found a reliable replacement? I make loads of recordings and I really can’t be resetting all the time and losing them…

| Tue 21 Nov 2023 23:37:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Have you tried getting a replacement?

Manhattan are about to release their new T4-R box, although not a lot is known about it yet, and has been delayed a few times.

I was looking to wait and see this myself, but couldn't wait in the end.

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 7:34:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

timiambeing

james_uk - 3 hours ago  » 
    Have you tried getting a replacement?
    Manhattan are about to release their new T4-R box, although not a lot is known about it yet, and has been delayed a few times.
    I was looking to wait and see this myself, but couldn't wait in the end.

No I haven’t tried to get a replacement, it’s several years old now so I’m sure way out of warranty, and I don’t think it’s a hardware issue, seems to me Humax released this and then went on holiday and have never came back! No updates ever, and of course the apps keep updating and the damn thing can’t cope…

So what did you go for in the end?

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 10:43:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TIM-SUE

Don,t hold your breath, the new manhattan will not be released until sometime in the new year according to the makers

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 11:05:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

If you are about to give up on it have you thought of doing a full reset (not just Freeview) including formatting the hard drive?

Maybe worth a try as there isn’t anything else out there currently with three tuners.

If mine was to pack up today I would happily go straight out and buy another as I seem to be one of the lucky ones with a good reliable machine with just a couple of oddities which I am happy to accept.

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 12:40:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

As a replacement the only real option at the moment in my mind is a secondhand BT TV Pro. Trouble is it looks like everyone else is going down the same route. CEX are now out of stock and the prices on ebay are rising.

I gave up using the Aura with apps ages ago and its now stable, all be it with a couple of minor issues.

So another option is buy a 4K firestick, with the gen 2 just out grap yourself a cheap gen 1 for apps and delete all the apps you can and disable the ones you can’t on the Aura then just use it as a PVR till the Manhatton comes out.

As Harters has said at the moment, now I’ve got it stable, with no alternative out there I would probably also buy another Aura if it broke tomorrow. But I have a Firestick and an AppleTV for streaming.

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 17:55:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

timiambeing

Dave480 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I gave up using the Aura with apps ages ago and its now stable, all be it with a couple of minor issues.
    So another option is buy a 4K firestick, with the gen 2 just out grap yourself a cheap gen 1 for apps and delete all the apps you can and disable the ones you can’t on the Aura then just use it as a PVR till the Manhatton comes out.
    As Harters has said at the moment, now I’ve got it stable, with no alternative out there I would probably also buy another Aura if it broke tomorrow. But I have a Firestick and an AppleTV for streaming.

Well I use my Samsung TV for the apps now, so are you saying deleting or somehow disabling the apps improved reliability?

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 20:07:18 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

In addition to my post, below are the Apps I successfully use on the Aura

SmartTube
    iPlayer
    Plex
    Jellyfin
    Proton VPN
    NBC
    AirScreen
    ITVX occasionally

Others installed, but rarely used.

| Wed 22 Nov 2023 20:51:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

are you saying deleting or somehow disabling the apps improved reliability?

It did in my case.

As well as some of what Harters is using I had Prime, Disney and some others I can’t remember now and suffered with random crashes and freezes regularly.

So I uninstalled everything I had put on (doing a factory reset will clear all those out) and then went into Apps and clicked on each one that remained, it opens a box that gives you the option to either Uninstall or Disable the pre-installed apps like YouTube.

After doing this my Aura became stable and I can’t remember the last time I had a crash or freeze, except when using ITVX (see ITVX Crashes thread) as I did leave the Freeview Play Apps (I now watch ITVX on the Apple). Also if the broadcasters move things around it can crash shortly after startup but a quick rescan sorts that out.

Do be careful when doing this especially if you go into System Apps (I think I left everything in there alone) as some apps are required for the Aura to work, its generally obvious which ones to leave.

So all we’re left with is intermittently jumping back to start when fast forwarding, not remembering the position of a part watched program and the waking up from Deep Sleep every few days, which we live with as there is no alternative at the moment.

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 9:55:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

timiambeing

That’s interesting ok I’ve done the same and we will see! Like I say I use my TV for the apps anyway, started to do that when the Humax just wouldn’t load any - it’s much faster and reliable. I’ve got loads of recorded programmes so a reset is out of the question, unless I could get them off somehow?

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 10:31:25 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.