My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Green screen with HDR-2000T

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

grahamlthompson - 40 minutes ago  » 
    To add to the confusion the latest EICTA specs specify Full-HD sets as HD Ready 1080p (this adds 1920 x 1080 playback of 1080p50/60/24.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

Great!

imagine going into a pub and being asked whether you want a pint of beer or a 'full' pint of beer or we can sell you a glass that's ready for a pint of beer, but doesn't actually hold a full pint of beer.
    I think my head would explode.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 14:02:57 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

Ok, the TV works when disconnected from everything else. I've removed the HDMi cable completely and now have the tv and pvr connected via scart. The Humax now shows 'Welcome to China'
    but at least I can now access the menus, so have set the installation going again and will see what happens after that.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 14:33:13 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

damian - 36 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 40 minutes ago  » 
    To add to the confusion the latest EICTA specs specify Full-HD sets as HD Ready 1080p (this adds 1920 x 1080 playback of 1080p50/60/24.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

Great!
    imagine going into a pub and being asked whether you want a pint of beer or a 'full' pint of beer or we can sell you a glass that's ready for a pint of beer, but doesn't actually hold a full pint of beer.
    I think my head would explode.

Back in 2005 (when the HD Ready specification was launched) there were no 1080 line displays nor any TV's with built in HD tuning capability. The first HD displays were largely Plasma 720 line displays with only analogue component inputs, later LCD TV's largely had 768 lines apart from those using panels generally intended for PC monitor use. Sky boxes supported these for a number of years by virtue of allowing component HD outputs. Of course these did not support the HDCP requirements of the then experimental anamorphic HD BBC Test HD satellite service (1440 x 1080). This required both the capability to natively support 1080i sources and have HDCP capability via DVI or HDMI connections.

EICTA specified HD Ready to ensure that any new TV's bought would work with the only available broadcast sources at the time and foreseen for the foreseeable future. Blu-ray and 1080P didn't appear on the market until the following year and Freeview-HD using DVB-T2 and satellite services using DVB-S2 didn't exist.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 14:52:13 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

Still laughing at Damian's glass of beer analogy - brilliant!

Ta Da!.... we now have a fully working TV and pvr again. Wonderful. It seems after all the faffing about, that the HDMI cable may be the culprit. I've got everything connected with scart now and it's fine. Many thanks for all you help and Happy Easter!

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 14:54:32 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Charlies - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Still laughing at Damian's glass of beer analogy - brilliant!
    Ta Da!.... we now have a fully working TV and pvr again. Wonderful. It seems after all the faffing about, that the HDMI cable may be the culprit. I've got everything connected with scart now and it's fine. Many thanks for all you help and Happy Easter!

Unfortunately it means that you are now watching HD programmes in SD.

If you replace the HDMI cable, does it affect any of the Freeview channels you can watch on your TV using it's own tuner while the box is booted ? HDMI cables can radiate frequencies similar to those used for Freeview TV and knock out reception. The solution is usually separate the HDMI and aerial cables as far as possible but most of all use decent properly screened coax cables for the interconnects (are you using the very thin cheap coax cables ?). It's by far the best to make your own using WF100 satellite grade cable.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 15:26:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Charlies

Haven't got another cable to check it with at the moment - I would have to go out and buy one, but I will do so after the holiday. Likewise, I'll look at the other issues that you've mentioned. To be honest, we can't see much of a difference on our size screen and mum's happy that she can just use it again at the moment, especially as a bank holiday is looming!
    Thanks very much anyway.

| Thu 2 Apr 2015 18:24:11 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.