My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Have Now Opened 2000T For Close Inspection.

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    Interesting Minstral - hope your investigations and alterations prove useful.
    As an aside I recently got one of THESE I got mine free as I have subscribed to BT for 12 months - cost £60.
    This box is basically a 2000T albeit in a much smaller case.

Really? I would have thought that the T2100/T2100 would be closer to a T2000 rather than a 2000T.

| Sat 28 Jan 2017 22:04:16 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Oh Thanks Monty for the excellent advice on drives. I was looking on the internet but its very difficult to make a choice.

I thought it will be getting a new drive in future but maybe not if I can get this working better for now.

Quite a few people have had this problem with the 2000T. Reviews on Richer Sounds and elsewhere show people can hear it loud from metres away so Im not the only one.

I wish I had bought it from Richer Sounds because it would have been a better experience and I wouldnt have felt the anxiety of taking it back.

As I said the chain store I bought it from tried to palm me off with a damaged used unit first and I just couldnt stomach facing them again (to my cost!)

I feel there must be many others who havent even bothered reporting it.

Anyway I like to do these things myself...thats me even if I cut my own nose off to spite my face

Best wishes

| Sat 28 Jan 2017 22:06:18 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

On the subject of the lid Ive had a Porsche 1/18 model on it on protective paper and that didnt damp it (or cause it). I will keep items off the top while I test it out

I recon with a foam lining and foam dampers in key places I can isolate and damp the lid. I will take that out of the equation.

Its still a head scratcher why a hardrive could set up a sharp echo chamber or transmission line that I could hear through in my kitchen over 6 metres away. It was like every noise from the head was given amplification and cutting sharp noise.

Now its much softer and quieter I can hear the natural disc spinning with my ear close up but thats not a problem and never was.

In a way I dont care as long as my tweaking resolves the problem.

Best wishes

| Sat 28 Jan 2017 22:32:17 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Luke - 5 hours ago  » 

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » 
    Four of my photos showing whats under the hood of a 2000t.

Didn't the early production models have a fan?

I seem to remember the advertising that this unit was good because it had no fan and therefore no fan noise. I dont know about earlier versions but its been in production for a good few years

Theres clearly a fan cutout there but I will assume it needs a bit of air venting and not block everything off.

The general area of soundproofing will be the lid and nearer the front and side of the drive. Maybe something along the inside bottom when Ive removed the drive mount. I dont know if the unit could overheat but it seems best not to block too much of the natural ventilation.

The noise is already reduced so I dont have to smother the unit in foam sheets...just enough will do and its sticky back away from the electrical contact areas.

Ive just spent £5 for three sheets of this foam

| Sun 29 Jan 2017 1:28:41 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 14 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 
    As an aside I recently got one of THESE I got mine free as I have subscribed to BT for 12 months - cost £60.

Really? I would have thought that the T2100/T2100 would be closer to a T2000 rather than a 2000T.

From my reading about both models on various forums they basically share the same underpinnings. Similar to Skoda Fabia VW Polo etc.

The point is that if you are happy to use Youview and why wouldn't you be, then it's possibly a better buy in terms of compactness silence etc. Plus at £60 (years subscription) whence the box is yours, it's also a bargain as it will continue to work even if you no longer subscribe, albeit you will lose the subscription only channels.

| Sun 29 Jan 2017 12:48:40 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 14 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 

From my reading about both models on various forums they basically share the same underpinnings. Similar to Skoda Fabia VW Polo etc.
    The point is that if you are happy to use Youview and why wouldn't you be, then it's possibly a better buy in terms of compactness silence etc. Plus at £60 (years subscription) whence the box is yours, it's also a bargain as it will continue to work even if you no longer subscribe, albeit you will lose the subscription only channels.

Oh yes Faust. I do wish I had bought another model. I was brand loyal to Humax and nothing else in the price area grabbed me. The Panasonic was uninspiring and the Humax looked a good buy as I didnt know about any possible issues.

I tried Youview on a Huawei 360 unit but didnt warm to it much as I thought I wont use it. Its a fairly good feature to have there though. I tend to use BBC i player when I need to go back

If I get this 2000 sorted I will be content. It has caused me a lot of stress over the months though as I dont like making bad buys. Really I should have taken it back after the first day

They caught me on this one and I got a bit confused. Ive lost my warranty but worse things happen at sea.

| Sun 29 Jan 2017 13:09:39 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Minstrel SE - 10 hours ago  » 

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 14 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 

Oh yes Faust. I do wish I had bought another model. I was brand loyal to Humax and nothing else in the price area grabbed me. The Panasonic was uninspiring and the Humax looked a good buy as I didnt know about any possible issues.
    I tried Youview on a Huawei 360 unit but didnt warm to it much as I thought I wont use it. Its a fairly good feature to have there though. I tend to use BBC i player when I need to go back
    If I get this 2000 sorted I will be content. It has caused me a lot of stress over the months though as I dont like making bad buys. Really I should have taken it back after the first day
    They caught me on this one and I got a bit confused. Ive lost my warranty but worse things happen at sea.

The BT version is a Humax - a totally silent one.

| Sun 29 Jan 2017 23:20:10 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Minstrel SE - 10 hours ago  » 

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 14 hours ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 

The BT version is a Humax - a totally silent one.

Yes and Humax do generally get it right but they seem to have some quality control or build issues with the 2000T. As I study it more the red cable is a nonsense and I will route it down through some sticky back cable lugs with cable ties.

My unit isnt a one off in terms of the noise fault. I could only assume it was a faulty hard drive but I now find its some combination of what the lid has been in contact with

I didnt find their customer service particularly helpful although they were right when saying the model should be quiet.

Im possibly being a bit harsh on them as the usual process is to be refered back to the shop but I couldnt face that shop again. I was confused and I havent bought a faulty product in a long while. I also saw stories that people had got another one which was just as noisy.

I may report my findings to Humax but then again I cant really be bothered having sacrified the two year warranty. I bank on it lasting anyway and I certainly wont damage it by opening it.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

| Mon 30 Jan 2017 0:39:23 #18 |
  9. black knight

black knight

special member

Hi Minstrel. I have one of those whisper quiet HDR 2000T's and looking at your pics I may see a reason why.

It looks like Humax have been cost cutting again, this time with the hard drive caddy. Yours just seems like an open piece of plastic with the drive screwed onto it, whereas in my old 2000T the disk is held in a more enclosed caddy that has rubber dampers where you screw the drive in place.

One end of the caddy also has a fan installed which sits against that hole in the outer box. It's very similar, if not identical to the one in my Foxsat HDR

I think your cheaper caddy is probably causing vibration issues and thus making the box seem a whole lot noisier.

Here's pic of the caddy in my 2000T.

and removed from the case you can see the rubber dampers to help stop vibration.

| Mon 30 Jan 2017 15:52:45 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Aaah Thanks black knight.

Thats very interesting and that looks a much better caddy with sound shielding, rubber dampers and the cable is properly routed down and secured.

Yes they have been cost cutting since then and its not acceptable when its clearly likely to affect the quality of performance noise.

On mine they have used a combined plastic drive connnector for the data and power cables...taking the data cable vertically up straight towards the lid which is daft

I havent taken my drive out yet but I bet theres no damping in the mounts. It just looks like a cheap flexi plastic shelf bolted straight onto a very thin casing.

The red cable was forced down by the lid so it was angled and touching the hard drive at a point of maximum stiffness. The lid isnt far above so the drive the case and the lid are all pretty much connected.

I have yet to do further tests but I reckon that was just amplifying it straight into a lid which is barely 1mm thick and acting like a membrane or drum skin. Its also been travelling through the mounts to the casing

Your picture shows how they have since been cutting corners and cutting costs. Its not on really and their main customer service policy seems to be deny everything and refer me to the shop. If all the later 2000ts are made like mine how was I supposed to get a quieter one next time??

Best wishes

| Wed 1 Feb 2017 4:24:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.