My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Have Now Opened 2000T For Close Inspection.

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

That is indeed very interesting and a significant difference in design. I would say without doubt Humax appear to have added further cost cutting measures to a product that was already cut to the bone.

I suppose in their defence Humax will argue they have to make them to 'a price' in order to make a profit. Well that's all well and good but the product should meet certain standards and one wonders what those standards now are.

Pity you can't see one of the Humax BT Youview models in operation Minstrel as I am really pleased with the performance of mine - much better than my 2000T.

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 14:36:53 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes I spent all day today revamping it and have put the lid back on to find its noisy again tonight. Maybe a bit quieter but It seems to be something to do with the casing and lid. I really thought I was on to something with the damping and proofing I have already done

If I really squeeze the lid an casing at the other end I can damp it down so its something to do with the whole cheap unit working against itself.

This product will send me into madness The lid will be coming off again tomorrow

They have cut it to the bone buts it a trend that must stop. I would have happily paid more if thats what was necessary for a good product.

I thought with their economies of scale that they could do it for this price They cant and when you factor in that £30 of it is VAT, to make a marging they are building them for very little indeed.

| Thu 2 Feb 2017 23:50:55 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Very interesting to see both older and newer boxes with lids off.
    The newer fvp4000t is quiet and has the drive bolted directly to the case, but the case is made out of plastic.
    What the box is sitting on will also have an influence on resonated noise. I don't think rubber spacers will have much effect as the drive is still directly bolted.
    What happens if you leave the lid off and simply turn the box upside down? Add a blob of blu-tack to each corner to help further.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 5:00:29 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

It would be interesting Minstrel just as an experiment if you had a spare 2.5" Laptop HDD to pop that in an see what difference it would make.

Having read your post I have just picked up my new BT Youview box and placed it directly against my ear. The noise is almost imperceptible. Again this is in a plastic case with a 2.5" HDD.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 14:49:14 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes And Im going to have to take this more seriously now.

The plastic shelf is just rubbish and Ive tried to damp it from the case

Even damping the drive is difficult because its connected at the edge ridges of the hard drive which just groove into the dampers at normal torque.

Im looking for dampers as rubber washers are next to useless. I just thought any layer would be better than nothing.

I will try another hard drive when I get round to it. I have 2.5 drives but dont know if they will fit on that power connector.

The lid is off tonight and its quiet and not bothering me. Im about to set it to record two channels to give it maximum noise potential.

Im going to damp eveywhere the lid touches with strips of compression foam over the top edges.

I still dont understand why its head noise I can hear. Maybe only a change of hard drive will prove things once and for all

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 23:15:04 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Minstrel SE - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Yes And Im going to have to take this more seriously now.
    The plastic shelf is just rubbish and Ive tried to damp it from the case
    Even damping the drive is difficult because its connected at the edge ridges of the hard drive which just groove into the dampers at normal torque.
    Im looking for dampers as rubber washers are next to useless. I just thought any layer would be better than nothing.
    I will try another hard drive when I get round to it. I have 2.5 drives but dont know if they will fit on that power connector.
    The lid is off tonight and its quiet and not bothering me. Im about to set it to record two channels to give it maximum noise potential.
    Im going to damp eveywhere the lid touches with strips of compression foam over the top edges.
    I still dont understand why its head noise I can hear. Maybe only a change of hard drive will prove things once and for all

Do you have a spare 3.5" HDD to hand? Although not a proper PVR AV drive you could nonetheless drop a PC drive in there simply to see if the existing drive is the issue, or is it as you seem to believe the case.

| Fri 3 Feb 2017 23:36:17 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes Its definately the lid as Ive sat on the floor lifting the lid slighty to fully off and it reduced the noise right down especially with the front slot of the lid taken out from the front.

Ive already foamed certain areas and the lip has a thick paper stuck on lining.

So far Ive found that cables touching the lid wasnt the problem but cant have helped.

The lid amplifies the noise to the unacceptable levels. Lid off its acceptable but obviously I cant use a unit with the lid off.

The drive may be noiser than other drives but in itself doesnt appear to be the noise problem without the casing amplifying it.

So the next step is cushioning for the lid whereever it may touch the metal sides and more paper padding round the front lip.

I do have a seagate 160gb 3.5 drive and im just worried if I have to format it whether it will mean I have to format the 500 when it goes back in and lose all my recordings. It seems to have different connectors as they dont seem to have a standard set up on the 500gb drive

Nightmare this but it will be sorted even if I have to buy something else

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 2:01:48 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As far as I am aware your existing Humax drive would not be affected in any way by you slotting in a 'new' HDD. It would format that HDD but providing you have nothing on there that you want then it doesn't matter.

You would only be doing this as a brief test. Even though you say your current Humax drive appears okay, it could be that the noise from the HDD is just on the right frequency to set up a harmonic with the box acting as an amplifier.

Given you already have the lid off I can't see you have anything to lose by trying another HDD.

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 12:48:37 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » 
    Yes Its definately the lid as Ive sat on the floor lifting the lid slighty to fully off and it reduced the noise right down especially with the front slot of the lid taken out from the front.
    Ive already foamed certain areas and the lip has a thick paper stuck on lining.
    So far Ive found that cables touching the lid wasnt the problem but cant have helped.
    The lid amplifies the noise to the unacceptable levels. Lid off its acceptable but obviously I cant use a unit with the lid off.
    The drive may be noiser than other drives but in itself doesnt appear to be the noise problem without the casing amplifying it.
    So the next step is cushioning for the lid whereever it may touch the metal sides and more paper padding round the front lip.
    I do have a seagate 160gb 3.5 drive and im just worried if I have to format it whether it will mean I have to format the 500 when it goes back in and lose all my recordings. It seems to have different connectors as they dont seem to have a standard set up on the 500gb drive
    Nightmare this but it will be sorted even if I have to buy something else

Your spare drive if it doesn't have the same connectors is likely to be a PATA (ake IDE) drive and unsuitable for your box which requires a SATA (Serial) drive.

Does it look like this ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=IDE+interface+photo&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=615&tbm=isch&imgil=cpMW_chwQi_vMM%253A%253BsZRfFt3Xg7Ox5M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.talktoanit.com%25252FA%2525252B%25252Faplus-website%25252Flessons-ide-sata.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=cpMW_chwQi_vMM%253A%252CsZRfFt3Xg7Ox5M%252C_&usg=__pcGsDddhB1RRzIQhRxzjXGffm5Y%3D&ved=0ahUKEwixhNz6xfbRAhUEKsAKHTw0CdEQyjcIMw&ei=9taVWLGxL4TUgAa86KSIDQ#imgrc=cpMW_chwQi_vMM:

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 14:27:43 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

My goodness, IDE drives, I thought they were something that you now only see on the Antiques Roadshow.

I disassembled about half a dozen of those last year - big lump hammer.

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 15:56:09 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.