My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Have Now Opened 2000T For Close Inspection.

(43 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    My goodness, IDE drives, I thought they were something that you now only see on the Antiques Roadshow.
    I disassembled about half a dozen of those last year - big lump hammer.

The 9200 and the Topfield pvrs used IDE drives. I still have a few scsi drives knocking around as well.

| Sat 4 Feb 2017 17:19:23 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Thanks everyone.

This will be a longer term project as the more I think and do things when ready, I will learn and it will get better.

I have managed to quieten it down with damping of the case. Not as much as I would like but its sort of ok. Im sat here typing this and the box is on in the background without the telly on. Its better and this is all about the hard drive and the casing combination.

I dont know whether they thought we all have noisy families and the tv will be on full blast but in my view its not an acceptable product. have I just been unlucky? Im not not the only one.

The casing is thin. The lid is only bolted at the back and there are all sorts of nooks and crannies to cause amplification resonance. its taken me two days damping every edge and possible suspect area where the lid contacts the main body

The hard drive may not be a quiet as others. It may be faulty but I wont be able to test that for a while. It will all be SATA but I have to study the standard connectors and decide what hard drive to buy to test a quieter one. Im sure you understand that I wanted to do preliminary work before shelling out on another hard drive. £60 for a hard drive is money I could put towards another model. Even getting another used one is a niggle and may not prove anything

Humax seem to have made a special connector plug and at the moment Ive no idea if that will fit the pins of another hard drive. the cables are designed to fit this PCB so its not an easy swap really

With some proper hard drive daming this unit may get quieter still. Ive ordered some more M5 rubber washers and Im going to have them top and bottom of the plastic shelf. 2mm a side will help. Rubber washers are not ideal but while I thinkon, its better than nothing....Any ideas?

The problem with dampers is I cant see what would fit other than washers. Ive no idea why humax didnt design damping into a production run where it would have cost them pence per unit.There are no stock silicone dampers that will fit this awkward mounting system. The hard drive mounts are standard but the plastic shelf is anything but standard

I find it hard to believe than anyone with a 2000T built like this, got a quiet one.

Anyway I know what Im doing so this is my project. Im not recommending others try this. It is much quieter now so Im getting there slowly but surely

Great Forum and Best wishes to everyone

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 11:28:48 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

grahamlthompson

Your spare drive if it doesn't have the same connectors is likely to be a PATA (ake IDE) drive and unsuitable for your box which requires a SATA (Serial) drive.
    Does it look like this ?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=IDE+interface+photo&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=615&tbm=isch&imgil=cpMW_chwQi_vMM%253A%253BsZRfFt3Xg7Ox5M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.talktoanit.com%25252FA%2525252B%25252Faplus-website%25252Flessons-ide-sata.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=cpMW_chwQi_vMM%253A%252CsZRfFt3Xg7Ox5M%252C_&usg=__pcGsDddhB1RRzIQhRxzjXGffm5Y%3D&ved=0ahUKEwixhNz6xfbRAhUEKsAKHTw0CdEQyjcIMw&ei=9taVWLGxL4TUgAa86KSIDQ#imgrc=cpMW_chwQi_vMM:

Yes my spare drive is an IDE drive removed from a Humax 9200. Its only 160gb and not worth anything now. I was going to fit it to an 8000t but can be bothered now as Im using the 8000t as a radio receiver only with the hard drive power lead removed.

Im learning more about SATA connectors now

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 11:50:25 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust - 23 hours ago  » 
    As far as I am aware your existing Humax drive would not be affected in any way by you slotting in a 'new' HDD. It would format that HDD but providing you have nothing on there that you want then it doesn't matter.
    You would only be doing this as a brief test. Even though you say your current Humax drive appears okay, it could be that the noise from the HDD is just on the right frequency to set up a harmonic with the box acting as an amplifier.
    Given you already have the lid off I can't see you have anything to lose by trying another HDD.

Yes I just think its an annoying physical combination of just the right frequency for the lid mounting and casing to be increasing the noise.

Ive never known anything like this before.

I think Ive proved with the lid off the hard drive is not a problem and thats with no shielding. I cant really call the hard drive the main problem and it seems to be the cheaper design of everything its mounted to.

ZERO mount damping seems unforgivable though

Lid on and I can hear it from my seating position about 3 to 4 metres away... I can hear it through in the kitchen about 7 metres away and thats around corners.

Damped it down now but its an ongoing project
    Cheers

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 11:58:27 #34 |
  5. black knight

black knight

special member

The drive in my 2000T is a Seagate Pipeline 500GB, which is the same as in my other boxes. I've never had any problems with noise from them although they are all held in caddy's similar to the one in my 2000T.

A 2.5 inch SATA hard drive will connect perfectly well in a 2000T. The connectors are in the same position so it would just be a case of plugging the block in to the end of the drive. There's also the option of getting a rubber 2.5 - 3.5 inch caddy to hold it in too, if you went down that route.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 12:20:44 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I'm not currently using my 2000T as I now have the BT Youview plus box so the 2000T is back in it's original packaging. However, apart from the noise the CPU makes on boot followed by the slight hum and rhythmic bump of the platters I can't say I found my 2000T noisy.

I could hear the bump of the platters every so many seconds, but only if the TV wasn't switched on and even then it wasn't obtrusive or annoying. In fact now I don't have the 2000T running I can hear a similar noise from our 1000s.

Does your have a fan at the end of the caddy black night? I don't know if mine does or not or if it's in a caddy. I think I will have to go into the loft and check it out.

I don't know why Minstrel doesn't simply drop a SATA HDD in his unit to check if the issue is the HDD. Even if he doesn't own one I'm sure plenty of his friends or family will have a spare one to hand without going to the expense of buying one.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 15:04:44 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Right - curiosity got the better of me. I have just been up in the loft and retrieved our 2000T. It's just like yours minstrel i.e. no caddy, no fan etc. just a bog standard SATA AV/CE HDD.

I really really would advise that you drop a different SATA HDD in there minstrel, 3.5" or 2.5", beg or borrow one from someone. I may not have the hearing of a bat but I simply cannot believe that your HDD is so very noisy and mine is barely audible and the case is the issue. I think it has to be a very noisy HDD and it is that which is setting up the harmonic.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 15:18:42 #37 |
  8. black knight

black knight

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    Does your have a fan at the end of the caddy black night?.

Yes. The pic I posted of the caddy removed from the case shows the fan. Not sure if it runs all the time, but it has always been silent.

I noticed the 'cost cutting' 2000T motherboards no longer have a fan header on, so it would be impossible to connect a fan even if you had one of the older style hard drive caddys installed.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 16:35:43 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

It's such a pity there's no facility on the forum for uploading an audio file then we could listen to what minstrel can here.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 19:06:01 #39 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    It's such a pity there's no facility on the forum for uploading an audio file then we could listen to what minstrel can here.

No reason why the file can't be uploaded to a free file share site and then downloaded.

Perhaps we might start a trend, the loudest hard disk of any forum member

Mind you I suspect that I don't have enough audio gain to record zilch from any of my kit with internal hard drives.

| Sun 5 Feb 2017 20:54:17 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.