My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB-1000s USB HDD

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DesW

Have just purchased my HB-1000s which works well. Wanting to use the record function, on instructions from Humax have bought a 128 Gb USB stick. This failed to record. I have used my PC to reformat the stick to NTSF. Still doesn´t record. Any ideas anyone ?

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 9:12:47 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

A USB stick will not work, Humax should be aware of that!

See the FAQ for HDD I have tested so far with this unit.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hb-1000s-is-this-unit-pvr-ready

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 9:38:20 #2 |
  3. IAINB

IAINB

Dear DesW,

My personal HDD is the 1TB Intenso which is self-powered via the USB socket, and you could even use two, one in each USB socket. You should format the HDD (NTFS) on a PC before use and the HB should then find it at once. Welcome! Regards. IAINB

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 10:35:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

DesW

Thanks Barry

It was Humax the recommended it ...! I´m seriously irritated .

Des

Thanks also IainB

I may try that after I have calmed down and heard from Humax.

Cheers
    Des W

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 17:09:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I know it's a little late, but USB sticks are not suitable and never have been for pvr's that use it to buffer/pause/rewind live TV.

A pvr will normally buffer the last couple of hours of TV so that live tv can be paused/rewound etc. A USB stick will constantly have this data written and over-written to it and a USB stick is simply not designed for that sort of operation, the section on the stick will wear out eventually. It's fine for playing back stuff that's been recorded on to it from a different source, moving files around, backing up a pc etc.. but not for having data constantly being written to the same memory section.

A 500GB or 1TB small portable 2.5" drive at around £40 - £50 makes most sense and as they're usb powered from the hb1000s there's little clutter. It's a shame as some of the USB sticks are tiny in size and in principle they seem like a very good idea, unfortunately they're just not suitable.

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 19:07:06 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

DesW

Thanks Damian,
    This USB HDD just doesn't work at all on the HB-1000s and Humax help are not replying to my e-mails after recommending this USB device.

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 19:44:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Des,

if you asked Humax whether a 128GB usb hdd would work then the answer is yes. The difficulty is that a usb pendrive/stick/thumbdrive etc. etc. is not a usb hdd (hard disk drive). Added to the confusion is solid state drives ssd, which don't have moving parts like usb sticks, but are designed to be used as a hard drive and would have worked.

it should still be possible to playback files recorded from another source on the usb stick, if you can't and you want to test....
    It's highly likely that the PC has formatted the usb stick as ExFat format, I believe the hb1000s uses NTFS.
    Format the usb stick as NTFS on a PC/Laptop, put a couple of photos jpeg, music mp3 and video files mp4 etc (i don't have a hb1000s so just for testing purposes) and you should be able to view the photos and some of the video files, depending on format, on the hb1000s.

Long term this isn't going to help much, it'll just show/prove what can and can't be done with a usb stick

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 20:39:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

DesW

Hello again Damian,
    The HB-1000s recognizes the USB HDD (NTFS formatted)and correctly identifies the two jpg´s I put on it but won´t display them. Any attempt to record to the stick is just ignored. Ány attempt to format the HDD from the Humax receives a not possible reply. I think I´m giving up now so off to Media Markt tomorrow to buy a proper HDD and send the USB stick back to Amazon. Seriously irritating !

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 21:08:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Crumbs! roll back 25 years and I used to spend hours in Media Markt marvelling at the technology.

You're not going to be able to record onto the usb stick for reasons given above; however it's very interesting that the hb1000s can recognise the jpg's, but can't display them on the 128GB stick you have.
    I have a built-in Navi in my car that struggles with 32GB usb sticks, SD cards and above, I finally found a 64GB that worked only to find the Navi can't read more than 1500 mp3's! Sometimes the technology just doesn't do what I want.

Sending back the usb stick and getting a 2.5" usb portable drive sounds like the best way forward.

I don't have a hb1000s, but it'd be useful for future reference if any owners could confirm playback, size/manufacture on 32/64/128GB or above usb sticks and maybe Barry could add this to his FAQ hb1000s hdd section

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 21:47:38 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The jpegs might simply be too big. Without knowing what size they are hard to comment. Remember the box has at best to display them on a display with just 1920 x 1080 pixels.

| Fri 7 Mar 2014 21:55:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.