My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

HB-1000s USB HDD

(43 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DesW

Media Markt were just the ticket. A 500Gb TOURO proper hard disk. Plugged it in and "bingo", I immediately got a positive response from the Humax and am currently recording s trial piece.

Humax are a real pain, they must know that a USB stick doesn´t work. That´s all time money and significant frustration.

Anyway thanks "Forum"

| Sat 8 Mar 2014 17:47:43 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

Hi all I have recently bought an HB-1000s & have just joined this forum.

The user manual is very sketchy regarding the fitting of a hard drive via the USB port so I sent the following to Humax Support :-

"Can you tell me what is the power (in MA) available from the USB ports on this freesat box.

Is it possible to run a 2.5” hdd that is designed to be powered solely by USB from the humax box."

To which their reply was :-
    " Thank you for contacting Humax Support. It is not possible to power a USB drive from the USB port. You would need to use an externally powered USB hard drive with the Humax Box."

This seems to conflict with information that appears on this forum as it seems that members are using USB powered Hdds.

I was under the impression that the USB standard allowed up to 500ma to be drawn from each port & probably most 2.5" drives do not draw this amount of current.

Can any one enlighten me

Thanks

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 18:06:53 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

KDBCOM - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Hi all I have recently bought an HB-1000s & have just joined this forum.
    The user manual is very sketchy regarding the fitting of a hard drive via the USB port so I sent the following to Humax Support :-
    "Can you tell me what is the power (in MA) available from the USB ports on this freesat box.
    Is it possible to run a 2.5” hdd that is designed to be powered solely by USB from the humax box."
    To which their reply was :-
    " Thank you for contacting Humax Support. It is not possible to power a USB drive from the USB port. You would need to use an externally powered USB hard drive with the Humax Box."
    This seems to conflict with information that appears on this forum as it seems that members are using USB powered Hdds.
    I was under the impression that the USB standard allowed up to 500ma to be drawn from each port & probably most 2.5" drives do not draw this amount of current.
    Can any one enlighten me
    Thanks

See the HB1000S faq.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hb-1000s-is-this-unit-pvr-ready

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 18:20:40 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

Thanks Graham
    I had read that but after being told by Humax that it is not possible to power from the Humax box I was a bit concerned about doing damage to it & negating the warranty. Some external 2.5" caddies have 2 USB plugs one taking power & data & the other drawing power only (using a Y lead).

How has Barry powered his USB drives, using 1 or 2 USB outlets ???

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 20:16:35 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barry would have said if he had used a dual power usb cable. My HDR1000s will happily power a 1TB USB 3.0 portable drive when used as a media player

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 20:38:45 #15 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

KDBCOM - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham

How has Barry powered his USB drives, using 1 or 2 USB outlets ???

Only the one for HDD the other is used for powering network adaptor

| Wed 28 Jan 2015 20:45:08 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

Thanks Barry.

It is a pity that Humax have only allocated just 1 measly page regarding recording. Nothing about types of drives or how many can be connected or how they can be used. Nothing about USB in their specsheet either Even the HTML info link they quote does not work.

Nice piece of hardware marred by poor usage instructions. Luckily this forum is here, though I bet the average 50- 70 year old would not be aware of the use of forums. I'm in that age range but have come from a computer background so I know of the usefulness of them.

| Thu 29 Jan 2015 0:07:16 #17 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I rather think that the manual is mostly freesat's work rather than Humax's.

I think that Humax customer support gave you advice for the Foxsat rather than the 1000S units. Some users have experienced problems with unpowered drives on the Foxsat.
    Hard drives can vary a great deal in their power consumption. AV drives, which are intended for continuous recording , tend to be very low power.

| Thu 29 Jan 2015 8:48:35 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

KDBCOM

Thanks for that info.

My query to Humax was headed HB-1000s but customer support probably did not read the heading.

Am using a WD 320 Gig 3.5" externally powered drive at the moment but I am probably going to replace that with a spare Seagate Replica (formatted as a standard ext drive) 2.5" 500 gig unit, may use a combination of them both.

Think the Seagate may be a bit hefty in the power requirement side so I may externally power that using the "red wire snip" modification to the USB cable power +ve lead that I have read about. This will give power to the drive but not supply it to the Humax socket. I have spare 5V PSUs about.

| Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:00:13 #19 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I am using one of these with my HB-1000S. http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800020.pdf

Note how low the power requirements are.

| Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:14:38 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.