My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDCP problem with Epson EH-TW2900 projector

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Paulchesh

I bought an HDR1100S. When I connected it up to my projector- Epson EH-TW2900 (about 6 yrs old) - via HDMI - the improvement over my old Foxsat-HDR was striking. But after 5 mins the screen went blank and the projector Epson EH-TW2900 briefly flashed up a ’not supported’ message. I called the Humax support line and the person I spoke to got me to unplug and restart the box and said 'if its not working its because your projector doesn’t support HDCP’. She was clearly under time pressure, and didn’t even ask what equipment I was using. Without much troubleshooting she told me my only option was to buy another projector or to return the HDR1100S. So I returned the box.

After doing this I contacted Epson support, who have told me that my projector model EH-TW2900 does support HDCP content. I also see from online forums that Humax has had problems with HDCP on some items of equipment. Is it possible there will be a fix pending to this known problem that would enable me to get an HDR1100S to work with my projector? I'm willing to try again.

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 14:55:14 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The Humax HDCP issue is supposedly fixed with a new software update. What version of software do you have on yours ? However without HDCP support your projector shouldn't work with any HDMI kit with HDCP built in. That would be all kit with a broadcast copyright source. About the only source of non HDCP protected content would be your own gameplay output from a HD games console.

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 16:39:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Paulchesh

Thanks for the quick response Graham -
    Can I just clarify two points:
    Software:
    I don't actually have the HDR1100S any more so I can't check what software version it had. (And this was not something Humax support asked me to do).
    HDCP support:
    Epson claim that my projector does support HDCP. I have never had any problem connecting it to other hdmi devices (Cambridge Audio Blu-Ray 751BD, Humax Foxsat, Roku 3, Amazon Fire TV).

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 16:53:35 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paulchesh - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the quick response Graham -
    Can I just clarify two points:
    Software:
    I don't actually have the HDR1100S any more so I can't check what software version it had. (And this was not something Humax support asked me to do).
    HDCP support:
    Epson claim that my projector does support HDCP. I have never had any problem connecting it to other hdmi devices (Cambridge Audio Blu-Ray 751BD, Humax Foxsat, Roku 3, Amazon Fire TV).

In that case it must have HDCP support. Without knowing what software you had on it before returning it, no way of knowing if the new software would have fixed it.

Was it connected to the internet ? I ask because the software was originally internet only. It's only recently it was OTA. It was made available by Freesat prior to release (using usb stick). If you had known this and updated it may well have fixed the issue.

See this thread.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/phased-roll-out-of-software-version-30020

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 17:04:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Paulchesh

Thanks for the further thoughts... I realise it's hard for you to advise with so little information and I appreciate your efforts!
    In case there is a time record of when software 30020 would automatically have been downloaded either OTA or via internet, I can pinpoint that the HDR1100S arrived on Tuesday 1 March. I successfully established an internet connection (ethernet) during the set up process around 2pm, and the reboot while connected to support was probably around 3pm. Could the HDR1100S have downloaded the latest software as part of that process? I estimate it would have been online for about 45 minutes in all.
    If this was a critical time re software downloads, I'm surprised the Humax support didn't check that out. I had not even heard of HDCP, or this issue except in the very general terms on the Humax website, so I was not in any position to ask further questions. I guess my best option would be to book a visit to a retailer with a demo HDR1100S (like Richer Sounds) with my projector and see if can get a trial that way...

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 17:41:06 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Problem came to light following a software update that affected some older kit around Mid November last year.

Betafix released mid december.

See this thread and the link in post 1.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/phased-roll-out-of-software-version-30020

The approx dates for IP general release and ota general release are in the other thread. I updated my HDR1000S box (due to hdcp issues when using a modulator from the beta release, this went on to be the official release). It fixed my problem and afaik for all the other affected freetime boxes when they got the update.

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 18:11:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Paulchesh

Many thanks, Graham. You give me hope! I will see if I can have a proper compatibility trial at a retailer, when I get some time.

| Thu 3 Mar 2016 18:19:49 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.