My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDD is not found

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

randall

Hello

Seems to be popping up lots this so sorry if its duplicated - I have attached my process of what I have done.

Ever since getting a Humaxx Freesat HD 1TB box we used to go through phases of the "you have no recordings" issue - usually a few cycles of unplugging it from the mains and restarting got it to find the recordings again.

About 6 weeks ago, we got to about the 10th cycle and still no luck - so I guessed it had finally died, as the box is out of its 2 years, I opened up the box and too the HDD and replaced it but still nothing the box didn't know a HDD was there at all (changed all the jumpers etc and formatted it to Linux) - so i just put the old HDD back in.

I then took the old HDD and plugged it to a external HDD caddy plugged it into a linux machine and i could see all my recording on the computer - did some HDD heath checks and said the old HDD was working correctly - so can't be the HDD?

I read through this forum and saw some it might be too hot and the fan might be dead so its not spinning the HDD, so I went to Maplin and replaced the fan, the fan spun more often but the HDD is still not recognised.

any good tips i could try?

| Sun 21 Feb 2016 15:31:09 #1 |
  2. andyfras

andyfras

You haven't quoted the model number, but I always suspect failing capacitors with this sort of fault.

On older versions (Foxsat and earlier), the suspect capacitors were on the PSU board. On later versions, they are likely to be on the mainboard.

See: https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/dtr-t10x0-successful-repair

| Mon 22 Feb 2016 9:30:52 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

These three models have an external power supply.
    My money is on a firmware problem.

| Mon 22 Feb 2016 10:36:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

randall

The model is a HDR - 1000S/GB/1TB

| Mon 22 Feb 2016 21:23:37 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

randall - 13 minutes ago  » 
    The model is a HDR - 1000S/GB/1TB

It's a known issue, and some boxes appear to mysteriously reincarnate themselves after a considerable period of not being used.

Humax and Freesat are aware of the issue but these sort of faults are very difficult to replicate and even more so to figure out why it happens.

No consolation I know but this thread has much more detail.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-drive-issues

Given the fact that this happens it's hard to imagine it's as simple as a power supply issue. This would be the first thing to check on a returned box with the problem, and would not fix itself. My HDR1000S (one of the first) with a 2TB drive has experienced the lack of recordings a couple of times. So far a power cycle has fixed.

The file system used on the freetime boxes is more complex than previous generation Humax Freesat kit, featuring LUKS encryption on the recording partition. I do wonder if this is involved in finding the cause of the problem.

| Mon 22 Feb 2016 21:40:27 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.