My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDMI cables / Sony Bravia / low sound level

(3 posts)
  1. Trevor Wright

Trevor Wright

Hi all - I have just replaced my Scart-connected TV with an HDMI-connected Sony Bravia, and have two questions:
    1) via the HDMI cable, the Bravia sees a very low sound level. A previous answer on this forum suggested changing the Sound setup on the Fox-T2 from Multi-channel to Stereo, and then rack up the volume level. Yes, this works - I had to go to max (20). My question: is this an unsurmountable hardware issue, or is there another fix, maybe in the custom firmware? I presume it's better to stay Multi-channel if possible...? and,
    2) I connected the Fox-T2 to the Bravia using the HDMI cable which came with the Fox-T2. The Bravia has HDMI 2.2 inputs, so my question is: can I gain any benefit by using a higher spec cable, e.g. a "High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet" or something else?
    Thanks for your advice.

| Thu 1 Dec 2016 22:51:00 #1 |
  2. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

1. The custom firmware has no facility to change the way audio is output through the HDMI lead. Does your TV have built in 5.1 speakers? If not it makes no difference if you output to stereo rather than multichannel. In any case, if you wanted surround sound you would most likely use the optical output on the HDR-FOX and connect this to a suitable amplifier or soundbar system.
    2. The HDMI lead that came with the HDR-FOX is fine. I am yet to come across a device that has ethernet over HDMI implemented, and in any case, the HDR-FOX does not support this. HDMI 2.2 is needed for 4K video. As the HDR-FOX outputs up to 1080P only, a better lead than the one supplied is unnecessary. If you had say an Amazon 4K box this would need a lead made to higher specifications, but not the HDR-FOX.

| Fri 2 Dec 2016 4:09:36 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The problem is just down to the way your TV handles Dolby Digital (aka AC3) audio input on a HDMI socket (HD channels use Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 with the greatest majority being 2.0 - Stereo).

Changing the output from Surround to Stereo (A Very misleading label as most of the output will be stereo only anyway) simply tells the box to recode to lpcm stereo (the same as output for SD channels).

When connected to a AV receiver (Yamaha in my case) the HDR-FOX-T2 is the same as any other kit outputting DD audio (My bluray player for instance) so there is no problem with the actual box.

As MontysEvilTwin says unless you are using kit with a proper Dolby Digital decoder you are losing nothing in quality.

| Fri 2 Dec 2016 11:23:27 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.