My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s dropping out of 1080p to 576i on start

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

peteBro

Hi I am new to this forum so I hope that I am doing this right.

I’ve had this HDR 1000s box connected to the same Panasonic TV for about 5 years ( along with a HUMAX FVP-5000T connected to the other HDMI port) with no problems both always running at 1080p, but the last month the HDR 1000s has started to play up, sometimes on starting from standby it will drop out of 1080p to 576i sometimes with no sound, it will do this some times as soon as the booting is over other times after 2-5 minutes of watching a program.
    I can get 1080p back by turning the HDR 1000s off at the mains weighting a couple of minutes then Turing it on I then get a 50-50 chance of it working correctly.

Any help please, I could change Capacitors etc if needed if I could be pointed to the correct ones.
    Thanks Pete

| Sat 26 May 2018 18:43:35 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Guessing it's a handshake issue with the TV telling the box it's only 576i capable. Try a different hdmi port on the TV and/or a new HDMI cable.

Check the Panasonic website for a possible firmware upgrade.

Welcome to our forum.

| Sun 27 May 2018 9:36:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

peteBro

Thanks for reply and the welcome.

As I am a newbie to the forum I didn't know how much to post on what I have done just incase I put off a useful reply also i don't want to waste anyone's time. I am a bit of a hobby dabbler in computer's and older in older electronics (the smaller direct mount components are outside my capabilities) so have probably carried out the most obvious things.
    Your thoughts are the same as mine, but I think I have ruled out the TV and cable as I did replace the cable and tried it on another TV but no change to the HDR 1000s behavior. I am thinking its an software problem or more likely a voltage level signal ie 5 Volt = on 0 Volt= off and maybe i'm getting 3 Volt and it does not know it it should be on or off
    but i don't know where to test it or where go next.

Another observation when it starts correctly at 1080p the TV will automatically change from the TV program to the humax Program when it starts on 576i i have to use the TV's remote to change the TV to the
    HDMI port.

The TV has 2 HDMI ports. I connect a HUMAX FVP-5000T to port2 and the Humax HRD 1000s to port 1. swapping ports make no difference and the FVP-5000T always works correctly at 1080p

I have also swapped/changed the CEC and stand by setting and most other settings that i can but to no avail

| Sun 27 May 2018 11:16:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Did the problem start when you first hooked up the 5000T? If so, does it go away when you take the 5000T off the TV hdmi input? That's one obvious thing I would try.

EDIT... you tried it on another TV, same result. Without the 5000T?

| Sun 27 May 2018 12:45:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

peteBro

Did the problem start when you first hooked up the 5000T?

No thay have both been working together for about a year at first I had to change the remote handset chanel apart from that no problems.

I have tried with 5000T removed but it makes no difference, also both combination on the other TV a newer Samsung.

Thanks

| Sun 27 May 2018 13:00:18 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

peteBro - 8 minutes ago  » 

Did the problem start when you first hooked up the 5000T?

No thay have both been working together for about a year at first I had to change the remote handset chanel apart from that no problems.
    I have tried with 5000T removed but it makes no difference, also both combination on the other TV a newer Samsung.
    Thanks

During a HDMI handshake the display tells the source what video signal capability it can handle. Additionally it identifies itself as a display device and not a recorder (copy protection).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

The source then switches to that resolution. It seems very likely that this is causing the Humax box to switch to output SD video. Using a far east HDCP stripping splitter (try e-bay) may resolve the issue.

| Sun 27 May 2018 13:14:22 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

peteBro

Hi grahamlthompson

I can see your logic and I think its sound thinking. I am aware of the handshake and copy protection protocols, HDCP are strictly applied by blue-ray players (UHD/4K) but are not always applied by PVR’s, I think the Humax just use file software encryption key rather than HDCP as 1080p is not that a good resolution for a HD copy master. A few copies of films that have been broadcasted is not a big deal, but of illegal copying should be discourage.

I have a HDMI manual switch 3 inputs to 2 outputs and an amplified HDMI splitter 1 output to 2 displays (that can be of different resolutions) which strip out the copy protection which I have tried, along with a different TV and 4K computer monitor (I think that now covers all thing I have tried).

In my mind, I think I have ruled out HDMI display side problem (TV, Monitor or cable etc) but I can’t prove it without expensive test equipment. A work shop manual for the Humax, circuit diagrams, test points etc would be useful but is not to be found on the web.

There is always a good chance I have missed something obvious so please keep the ideas coming

P.S. I have just read your "2018 new UHD capable Freesat box" post, do you have info on time scale of when we could see one by Humax?

Thanks for all the input and your time.

| Sun 27 May 2018 20:44:48 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have no further info on the 2018 new box launch. It's gone very quiet since the first announcement.

Does the box display the SD analogue outputs in full screen ?

| Sun 27 May 2018 21:27:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

peteBro

Yes always full screen but sometimes without sound.

| Sun 27 May 2018 22:05:12 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

peteBro - 11 hours ago  » 

Yes always full screen but sometimes without sound.

The lack of sound is also likely to be hdmi handshake issue. Similar was widely reported with the HDR-2000 models which had a recent firmware upgrade fix.

No issues with my HDR-1000S which connects via a Yamaha AV receiver to a Panasonic TV.

Is the loss of audio always on HD channels ? If so Home - Settings - Picture and Sound - Digital audio out - change from Multi-Channel to Stereo

| Mon 28 May 2018 9:39:37 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.