My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1000S in Italy

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Drinan

I live in Italy and while on a trip to England I purchased a HDR-1000S from John Lewis. I was assured by the sales person that the box would work in Italy.
    When I got the box home I connected it to my dish which is set at 28.2E. The engineer who installed my dish checked the signal on his machine and got a strong signal with a good picture.
    When we connected the decoder and tried to install the box it says weak signal and could not find any channels.
    The question is, if anyone can help. Do I have a faulty box? Or is it ristricted in some way that the box will not work in Italy.
    I tried calling technical support at Humax in Bracknell but to be honest they were not much help.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 6:30:14 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Channels from the Astra satellites at 28.2E have several different beams which target different area's. The relevant two that you need to receive are the UK beam and the Pan European beam.

The footprint of these are as follows:
    Pan European
    UK

To setup the unit it must receive the freesat transponder on the UK beam which I think is your difficulty. Even with a massive disk I doubt this is possible.

It you could setup the unit in the UK it should function with a limited amount of channels but weather these are of interest is another matter.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 7:14:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It might be worth contacting John Lewis, if you can identify which shop you bought it from and the day/approximate time you bought it. If they accept that you were given wrong information, they might refund. At the least, they will probably clue up the sales assistant not to offer such ill-founded assurances in future.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 11:28:51 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Might be worth the OP trying to use non-freesat mode. There is likely to be at least some fta content on the PE beams. At least he will some TV to watch.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 12:27:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Might be worth the OP trying to use non-freesat mode. There is likely to be at least some fta content on the PE beams. At least he will some TV to watch.

If that is his only fall-back then he can achieve that with a generic box at about 1/3rd of the price of a 1000, and with a better EPG for FTA channels.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 12:59:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Drinan

Thanks to evryone for your inputs, I really appriciate your time and effort.
    I spoke with Technical Support at Humax this morning and they told me that Freesat had been limited outside of the UK. They suggested I call Freesat, I did this only to be told that Freesat is suposed to be for UK viewers only. Some people might get it outside of the UK but Freesat are not licenced to offer its product outside of the UK.
    My conclusion is that being in the very South of Italy I am very unlikely to be able to get Freesat. Therefore I will get my 1000S back to John Lewis get my money back and watch Sky (which I have)
    It is a shame as it would have been nice to see ITV BBC CH4/5 and the various Players but if it's not possible, so be it.
    Thanks once agin for all your contributions!

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 13:11:03 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Drinan - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks to evryone for your inputs, I really appriciate your time and effort.
    I spoke with Technical Support at Humax this morning and they told me that Freesat had been limited outside of the UK. They suggested I call Freesat, I did this only to be told that Freesat is suposed to be for UK viewers only. Some people might get it outside of the UK but Freesat are not licenced to offer its product outside of the UK.
    My conclusion is that being in the very South of Italy I am very unlikely to be able to get Freesat. Therefore I will get my 1000S back to John Lewis get my money back and watch Sky (which I have)
    It is a shame as it would have been nice to see ITV BBC CH4/5 and the various Players but if it's not possible, so be it.
    Thanks once agin for all your contributions!

Your Sky box will be unable to view any channels on UK spot beams just the same as a freesat box. With a suitable subscripition and viewing card you should be able to access any remaining fta, ftv and subscription channels you have a card for that are on PE beams.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 13:22:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Even though you had received a good sat signal the various on-demand players are delivered via broadband. In the case of BBC Player (not certain about the others) you can only receive it via a UK IP address. To establish that in Italy will require you to rent a UK IP address from a VPN provider. My son in Germany had exactly the same problem and solved it by buying a Samsung smart TV with all the players on-board and establishing a UK address via VPN.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 16:30:26 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Even though you had received a good sat signal the various on-demand players are delivered via broadband. In the case of BBC Player (not certain about the others) you can only receive it via a UK IP address. To establish that in Italy will require you to rent a UK IP address from a VPN provider. My son in Germany had exactly the same problem and solved it by buying a Samsung smart TV with all the players on-board and establishing a UK address via VPN.

Those of us in rural areas in Europe with very poor broadband connections can always have a broadband satellite connection from Tooway which comes with a UK IP address.

Also having compared VPNs (Various) and smart DNS solution - the Smart DNS win on pricing, speed (no need to encrypt/decrypt), and ease of setup (just change DNS on router or STB). Most offer a free trail.
    Just check they support the services you want.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 18:00:33 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 hours ago  » 

Though at some unknown point in the nearish future, a UK IP address is going to stop being enough to get iPlayer. May still be necessary, but no longer sufficient.

| Wed 15 Jul 2015 18:38:49 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.