My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000S Power On From App

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

trevrobwhite

Hi all,
    I wanted to say hello, I'm loving my new HDR 1000S after Sky made one to many price hikes, I've even got an RF modulator so haven't lost the ability to watch TV in bed controlling the box from the freesat app which works very well after allowing a day or so for the box to settle in (before that I couldn't control the on demand).

Only one thing I'm missing is the ability to power on the box from standby using the app (you can do this on the sky app) is it possible with the freesat app as at the moment ur just says it can't find the box, but I wondered if some power management setting would fix that.

Thanks in advance. e.

| Sun 24 May 2015 0:44:46 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

No afraid not - In standby the HDR-1000S is really in standby using power of < 0.5 watts. The newer Sky units, while they do have a full standby option, this is not rarely used by customers due to the very long boot time in this mode. Sky's normal standby mode uses nearly as much power as when it is on.

| Sun 24 May 2015 6:18:02 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

p.s. If your phone/device has an IR blaster then you should be able to find an app to use that.

| Sun 24 May 2015 7:31:24 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not cheap but definitely possible.

http://www.keene.co.uk/keene-ir-anywhere-ir-over-ip-module-128-code.html

| Sun 24 May 2015 9:44:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

trevrobwhite

Ouch thanks guys, might stick to the manual approach then.

| Sun 24 May 2015 9:57:55 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

trevrobwhite - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Ouch thanks guys, might stick to the manual approach then.

There is a couple of ways of setting the box to wake itself up to let you in. The easiest way is set as many wake up (Reminder resevations) as you want.

Easiest way is to set a reminder reservation for each wake up as follows.

Recordings - Planned - Right twice to Set Recording.

Channel - any you want, normally best to wake up on a BBC 24/7 channel

Month - This one

Day - Tommorow

Start Time - Your access time window start

Duration - End of your access window.

Repeat - normally daily

Alternatively take your remote with you (or buy a 2nd one), or as Repassac already suggested use a mobile device with a infra red transmitter, and buy a much cheaper wireless infra red remote extender system.

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-PowerMid-XL-infrared-extender/dp/B000GIXH42&tag=blusas008-21

| Sun 24 May 2015 10:27:42 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

This might also do you. I have one coming in due course.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1635386542/anymote-home-your-phone-the-ultimate-universal-rem

| Sun 24 May 2015 11:01:45 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

trevrobwhite

Excellent thanks for the advice. Perhaps a future firmware will allow a remote wake up in power options.

| Sun 24 May 2015 18:50:29 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

trevrobwhite - 59 seconds ago  » 
    Excellent thanks for the advice. Perhaps a future firmware will allow a remote wake up in power options.

Sorry the EU power saving requirements make this virtually impossible. To do this the box requires a Wake On Lan activity monitor capability. Apart from the security requirements of someone else being able to access your kit, the 0.5W power requirement is not even enough to power the lnb on the dish and also at a guess the LAN access hardware.

This may explain some of the complexity that even a PC has to do to implement this capability.

http://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

| Sun 24 May 2015 19:00:40 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Graham - from what I remember the EEC regulations do not actually prohibit it. They say the unit must be able to (current models) meet < 0.5W power requirements and that this must be the default option.
    This requirement did not apply to units with decryption (Someone got the wool pulled over their eyes at the EEC?)

I can't imagine that WOL would get any sort of development effort. To make it work remotely requires a lot more knowhow than most users have. To make it work on the LAN would be much easier but there are a few other things I would like to see before this (DLNA server anyone?).

| Sun 24 May 2015 19:13:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.