My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1010 not playing videos

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

conners

I have a Netgear Stora NAS with videos and music on.

When I go into 'Media share' on my Humax 1010s it lists the video files but when I press ok, or play, on the remote nothing happens.

The videos are a mixture of avi, mp4 and mkv format.

Is there something I'm not diing right, or can the 1010 not play videos over the network?

Thanks

| Wed 28 Sep 2016 21:11:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The media player on the 1000/1010/1100 is pretty simple. AVI, MKV etc are merely wrappers for video codecs, many of which the Humax cannot handle. This is a common problem with the box. I gave up and bought a separate media player, others can hopefully give you advice on conversion of formats.

| Wed 28 Sep 2016 21:37:19 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It can play videos that the video and audio is compressed with codecs that the box supports. (containers and compression codecs are quite complex).

The video .avi .mp4 and .mkv are container formats, they can contain many different audio and video codecs (especially .avi that can have virtually anything within the container).

You can find what the container actually has in it by using the free programme MediaInfo. Treeview view has a full analysis of what is actually in the file (you can export this to a text file and post the info here).

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Without this information no way to even guess why they do not work or suggest a way to convert to a format that will.

Basically you need to understand the difference between a container and the codec used to compress the video and audio. For instance .mp4 can contain video compressed with the mpeg4 video codec but also many others.

See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

to get an idea as to what container can have in it.

The video/audio processing chip built in to the box naturally has built in capability designed to support the broadcasting standard compression codecs it will find on Freesat channels (eg for Video Mpeg2 (used by SD channels, H264/AVC used by HD channels).

Unlike a PC that you can't simply download a new codec (eg H265/HEVC used largely for 4K video compression), you are limited to the built in support.

As you may now realise the file extension, doesn't really help because it does not tell you how the video and audio within it is processed to reduce it's size and make it possible to broadcast it.

Video and audio is compressed for broadcast by using a lossy technique that basically has a full frame, followed by subframes that only have the differences from the full frame. When the signal is decoded the decoder in the box rebuilds the source video as far as possible from the original full frame and the difference data from the full frame. The whole data structure is known as a Group Of Pictures (GOP).

Hope this helps to some degree to help in how digital works.

Welcome to our forum.

| Wed 28 Sep 2016 21:56:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

If you download a programme like Handbrake then you can convert most video formats to MP4 which the Humax will play.

| Wed 28 Sep 2016 22:29:18 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.