My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1010 weak signal message - spooky gremlin

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hockers4

I currently have a loftbox sharing out sat & digital aerial signals to televisions around the house. The main set is wired up with a single sat cable to the HDR1010 unit and shows good signal strength on tuner 1. I am able to watch and record two programs which is great.
    However, on occasions when watching a programme I may pull up the tv guide or other function and the picture is lost with the message about a "weak signal". Nothing on the remote seems to restore the picture and the signal strength still shows good, yet if I remove the sat cable and put it in the other input at the rear, picture is restored. Then it does it again and I have to reverse it again...really spooky. Any techies out there know what is going on please?

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 0:50:42 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It sounds like you are trying to feed a single LNB feed to more than one tuner. While this is possible with TV feeds it will not work well with satellite feeds. LNB's are active devices which need to be switched to one of four possible bands by electrical signals/voltage changes.

If only one tuner is using a band all will work fine, If more than one tuner uses the same band also not a problem. If two tuners try to use a different hand (Vertical/Horizontal Low/High) one would be unable to.

How many feeds do you have from the dish and how is the loftbox connected? To distribute satellite you need a multi-switch which will have four feeds from the dish and a Quattro LNB. If might be what you actually have, if so check all the connections.

| Tue 27 Jan 2015 6:28:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hockers4

Thanks for the information.
    The problem seems to occur on odd occasions when I switch to another channel (would changing channel trip the second tuner?)
    I have an 8 way TV link loftbox with two feeds from the sat dish going into terminals marked TV Ant & DAB Ant.
    Two feeds then exit from terminals marked Sat Ant & Livingroom.
    The roof aerial goes into terminal UHF2.
    3 of the 8 feeds are fed to other televisions and seem to be receiving the roof aerial.
    The Sat Ant goes into the Humax PVR in one of the two inputs.
    I have checked the connections and all appears OK, but the problem still exists. I don't know if my (Sky) dish has 4 feeds nor do I know anything about a Quattro LNB...

| Sun 8 Feb 2015 20:52:35 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I am having some difficulty understanding what sort of unit you have in your loft.

It is possible to distribute a satellite signal together with a aerial signal around the house on a unit called a multiswitch. Such a unit would have four connectors for each of the LNB connections and a variable number of outputs for distribution (4,8,16, etc). Such a unit allows full independent connections all of which can function simultaneously. These systems mostly, but not always, require a special type of LNB.

I have also seen other types of amplifier systems which allow a TV plus one or two satellite connections to be distributed around the house. Such a system will allow each of the two LNB connections to be used by one unit at a time. From your description it sounds like this is the type of unit you have.

A HDR-1000S can operate with two cable or just one which places limitations on functionality. With one LNB feed the LNB can be switched to one of four bands at a time. this means that the two tuners can only fully function if they required the same band.
    In practice this is less on a limitation that you would expect.

The HDR-1000S will have determined the number of cables at install time (or factory reset) and would have been set then to operation knowing if any limitations exist.

Depending which band the current programme is using, asking for the guide should normally use stored guide data. In your case it appears to want to switch band to the freesat transponder to refresh it's data. I would not have expected it to do that unless it thinks it has two feeds.

Did you by any chance set it up with two cables connected?
    When viewing a programme and using channel up/down can you select any channel or not?

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 6:14:39 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.