My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1100S install

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adelaide

Hi.
    I hope someone can help with this....we are probably being really dim but can not get a signal on our new Freesat receiver. If it makes any difference we are in France & were previously watching French Orange TV via satellite (installed when we bought house).
    We have changed the dish to a larger 80cm Optex dish with universal single LNB. Other locals suggested the larger dish would be required to pick up UK Freesat channels. The single cable is in LF1 but we can not get any signal at all. Not even a weak one.
    We have taken the box to a neighbours who already has his satellite set to Freesat and it worked fine on his dish setup, which kinda rules out the box itself. We have checked and then replaced the cable and connectors and have used a wired satellite finder (as opposed to an app on phone). The satellite finder tells us we have a strong signal but the box still says no signal.
    We've been doing this for days and pretty much run out of ideas....could it be compatibility between the box and the LNB that's an issue?
    There doesn't seem to be any changeable setup on the receiver so I'm stumped now.....
    Please help before we come to blows over it....

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 13:57:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Have you aligned your dish to the Freesat satellite. If not you are pointing at the wrong sat.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 14:52:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Hi,
    I'm not sure which satellite French orange tv is on at present. When you say your 'sat finder' is showing a strong signal, are you sure the dish is looking at 'Astra Freesat'. There are lots of sat's up there and the reason maybe that your dish is pointing to the wrong one! You seem to have eliminated the Humax box by trying it on another dish.
    Good luck.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 14:54:09 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

An freesat install only looks for a single frequency, that of the freesat transponder at 11428 H 27500 2/3.

A satellite finder can find a signal from any satellite for example 19.2E (where a lot of european broadcast come from and French TNT SAT) and 28.2E are just 9 degrees out - that is the amount of direction the minute hand moves in 90 seconds.

The LNB should be a universal type - a quad would be more suitable as for your unit to work optimally you need at least two feeds. A quad is a good choice.
    The disk size depends on where you are - please post a post code.
    I am using a 100cm at 32460 but friends are now buying 110-120's.
    Hopefully you are north of me (nw even better)

Advice: check the correct elevation and direction for your location using dishfinder.com then set the elevation of the dish using the scale normally marked on the mounting and not the arm angle as it is almost certainly an offset dish.

Next try a manual tune (in non freesat (STB) mode for the freesat transponder - you can ask for a signle frequency if you use the up and down keys from memory).

Yes it can drive you mad and it is a lot more difficult to find without a proper meter, now that the freesat transponder is on a UK beam.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 15:06:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adelaide

Thanks for that. Useful stuff.
    We are at 87500. If we need a bigger dish so be it but others round here are only using 80cm so we should get something???
    We've done the dish finder thing.
    So trying the STB manual tune, if I leave it at all frequencies I get 291 channels, including BBC1 etc. If I set the frequency suggested I get nothing.... Does that make sense? Does it suggest what we need to do next to get Freesat?
    (Progress though....at least we have something! )

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 15:36:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Adelaide - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for that. Useful stuff.
    We are at 87500. If we need a bigger dish so be it but others round here are only using 80cm so we should get something???
    We've done the dish finder thing.
    So trying the STB manual tune, if I leave it at all frequencies I get 291 channels, including BBC1 etc. If I set the frequency suggested I get nothing.... Does that make sense? Does it suggest what we need to do next to get Freesat?
    (Progress though....at least we have something! )

Set it up on your friends working dish (the freesat home transponder is required to set up the postcode). Once set up it should work with the channels your existing dish is capable of receiving.

You must have some reception issues as the current fta count from 28.2E is over 400 channels. You may find problems with the HD channels, the fec they use makes them harder to get.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 15:49:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adelaide

Oh dear :-(. I'd rather not bother them with it again if possible.
    Surely I must be able to get Freesat without? Is it just a case of fine tuning the dish for a better signal?

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 16:07:33 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Adelaide - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Oh dear :-(. I'd rather not bother them with it again if possible.
    Surely I must be able to get Freesat without? Is it just a case of fine tuning the dish for a better signal?

It might be possible to fine tune the dish alignment while using manual tune to optimise reception of the freesat home transponder. Without a usable signal you won't be able to get past the postcode verification stage in setup.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 16:13:07 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You might well get away with an 80cm at your location but you will need good alignment.

If you can go back to the friends and as Graham suggests - do the install there you will at least be able to then find the correct position by trial and error.

Start with something like Sky news (easy to get) and then try and get BBC1 SD.

Your LNB should have a slight twist clockwise when viewed looking at the dish from the front. (About 3 mins on a watch).

Off out now for the evening - large tent to erect - Fete this weekend.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 16:53:17 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adelaide

Yayyyy! Got Freesat!
    Many, many thanks for everyone's help.....I'd never have got there without it.
    Brilliant

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 17:31:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.