My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1100S. On Demand and Showcase not working

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Robert21 - 4 days ago  » 
    On Sunday I connected and set up a Roku streaming box on my wireless network. All the on demand players and Netflix worked perfectly. Later in the evening I was surprised to see that Showcase was working on my 1100S. I then checked the on demand players and found that they were all working as well - this was the first time since I bought the 1100S a month ago. The 1100S is connected via WiFi.
    After selecting any of the on demand players the screen goes blank for 8 to 10 seconds but then the player loads and works as it should. I had previously waited well in excess of 10 seconds without the player loading. As long as 5 minutes in some tests.
    Is it possible that the Roku box has sorted out the previous problem of connecting to the Internet or just a coincidence?
    24 hours later Showcase and On Demand are still working both through the on demand players on the Home screen and via the yesterday and earlier pages on theTV Guide.
    Thanks to all for you advise.

Speculation: I wonder if connecting the Roku might have caused the "Smart Wireless " feature on the HH to change the wireless settings.

| Sat 14 Nov 2015 13:34:06 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

CSLong

I had a similar but different experience to Harley.
    I have a BT Hub 4. Bought my 1100S about a week ago. Connected to the hub by Ethernet but On Demand would not work. The 1100S had an IP address and when I log onto the Hub it recognises the Humax, Tried a factory reset but still did not work.
    Removed the Ethernet cable and a carried out a factory reset and then connected by Wi-Fi. On Demand worked!
    Like Harley I then reconnected the Ethernet cable, which the 1100S recognised and seemed to automatically start using. However unlike him, On Demand stopped again. Removed the cable and reconnected with Wi-Fi and On Demand is back.

| Sun 17 Apr 2016 7:40:03 #22 |
  3. berrybrow

berrybrow

I received my brand new HDR-1100S (1TB) yesterday and it’s a good device. It’s connected to my high speed (65 Mbps download) Internet service via Ethernet cabling and an excellent Vigor 2920N router. The 7-day previous playback service runs fine on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five using this connection and their respective Internet player apps. Shortly after first install the HDR-1100S downloaded a software update via the Internet and it now has software version UKSFAA 3.00.31 dated 30 MAR 2016. Great.

But… it does suffer from availability failings so far as Showcase and On Demand are concerned just like many other users. They have reported on at least two other forums these issues for two years or more and it appears that various software upgrades have attempted to fix them. Like others, I have spoken to customer service and been told to turn off the box, reset my router etc.. I have, for the sake of completeness, gone through this pantomime so that the DHCP service in the router allocated a fresh LAN IP address to the box but as expected it’s a waste of time. I have also tried WiFi connecting via a high speed MiFi (cell network to WiFi) and to my inhouse WiFi system. Both WiFi connections worked in so far as downloading previous day’s programmes but they caused no change to Showcase or On Demand availability – but why should they? All of which leads me to believe that this is a Humax server software/network issue or the result of yet another change to the programme providers’ on demand software interface structure.

One final thing. The videos in the Help&Info section won’t play because they are in a “not supported format” according to the on screen error message. Obviously someone forgot to include the correct codecs in the software package.

The TV picture on screen at 1080p is fantastic though.

| Fri 27 May 2016 8:27:45 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 7 months ago  » 
    This may be a red herring, but there seem to be quite a few reports of problems with the Home Hub 5 router. There's some suggestions for tweaking at http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1403054/bt-home-hub-5-settings-guide-how-to-get-more-speed-and-make-it-less-annoying, maybe worth having a look.

I have the HH5 and TBH it works even better than my Apple Airport Extreme. I use Devolo Homeplugs though as (a) my 1000s does not have wireless and (b) I find routing everything through Homeplugs and a Network switch to be less problematic than WiFi.

| Fri 27 May 2016 10:10:06 #24 |
  5. berrybrow

berrybrow

Well I would love to be able to announce SOLVED but I can't do that even though the problem is FIXED.

I have done what I always tell people not to do when trying to fix things. I have done two actions before checking the individual results. Number 1 - I copied my post to Humax's uksupport team in the hope they would fix their end and Number 2 - I loaded the Freetime app on my android tablet and paired it with the box. On running through the app I found that the On Demand links were there and that I could initiate their action using the tablet as a remote control. Only after that did I go back to the box directly and check the entries under settings. On Demand and Showtime are now fully populated and I can action them from the remote. I'm happy with that but I wish I knew which action(s) did the trick.

| Fri 27 May 2016 14:06:17 #25 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My guess is neither. The server belongs to freesat and loads may be lower this time of day.

With the app paired your unit will boot every 20 mins to check freesats server. The app runs fine unpaired but just as a remote control.

| Fri 27 May 2016 14:23:00 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

berrybrow - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Well I would love to be able to announce SOLVED but I can't do that even though the problem is FIXED.
    I have done what I always tell people not to do when trying to fix things. I have done two actions before checking the individual results. Number 1 - I copied my post to Humax's uksupport team in the hope they would fix their end and Number 2 - I loaded the Freetime app on my android tablet and paired it with the box. On running through the app I found that the On Demand links were there and that I could initiate their action using the tablet as a remote control. Only after that did I go back to the box directly and check the entries under settings. On Demand and Showtime are now fully populated and I can action them from the remote. I'm happy with that but I wish I knew which action(s) did the trick.

My guess is neither , probably just time and the freesat servers getting round to your box.

| Fri 27 May 2016 14:23:25 #27 |
  8. berrybrow

berrybrow

Hi Graham,

You could be right. I had a reply from the uksupport team which as well as mentioning the reset pantomime also advised leaving it on BBC HD for an hour or so to enable downloading. That's not something I remember hearing the man on the phone saying yesterday but it could well be the hidden gem. I'm not sure, but I could well have done that.

Thanks,
    Stuart

| Fri 27 May 2016 19:45:54 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.