My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1100S Very jerky on screen menus

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Watched your video and that looks to be perfectly normal behaviour. Personally I wouldn't call it a smooth transition but I've never thought that there was a problem either.

| Sat 15 Jul 2017 0:36:25 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave-M

When you see something like iplayer on the 1100S which is very jerky, it just looks terrible. But then again, if you haven't seen it on any other devices, you wouldn't know this. My TV has the iplayer app installed and that is smooth, I have a Shield TV and that is smooth. It just seems to be Humax boxes that have this issue. I have an old Android box, maybe 3 years old that we used to use to get wifi on the TV upstairs and that is smooth too.

Even the Mrs asked why it's "all stuttery". If this is normal behaviour, then it would seem that the hardware can't keep up?

Going to return it.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 11:13:14 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Perhaps the video you posted does not do justice to your complaint. I have just watched it again and cannot see any problem. As to iPlayer, I have it on multiple devices and the 1000S is the equal of any of the others, very smooth and trouble free (connected by Ethernet). I have looked at many other satellite and Freeview receivers and the 1000/1100S series is better than most.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 11:26:50 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Techradar review of HB1000s "The HD interface is quick to navigate and the animated menu transitions are fast if a tad jerky."
    Joinfreesat HRD1000s "slightly jerky animation of the <free time> (startup) logo."

That start up animation has now been changed, but I'm sure many users thought it looked perfectly smooth. It's all just an illusion anyway, the illusion works better for some people than others, to me the animation frame rate looks to be the bare minimum on these boxes.
    Even TV broadcasts and bluray movies need a little help to appear smooth, standard Movie 24fps isn't smooth and can be quite useless in panning shots. But luckily TV's have motion smoothing software, with IFC on my Panasonic I get a nice smooth motion and it vastly reduces motion blur between frames.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 13:36:48 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Techradar review of HB1000s "The HD interface is quick to navigate and the animated menu transitions are fast if a tad jerky."
    Joinfreesat HRD1000s "slightly jerky animation of the <free time> (startup) logo."
    That start up animation has now been changed, but I'm sure many users thought it looked perfectly smooth. It's all just an illusion anyway, the illusion works better for some people than others, to me the animation frame rate looks to be the bare minimum on these boxes.
    Even TV broadcasts and bluray movies need a little help to appear smooth, standard Movie 24fps isn't smooth and can be quite useless in panning shots. But luckily TV's have motion smoothing software, with IFC on my Panasonic I get a nice smooth motion and it vastly reduces motion blur between frames.

The reason that blu ray movies aren't smooth is because the box does not support 24Hz content. The effect is the same as playing a blu ray on a TV without 24Hz support (it's upscaled to 60Hz using drop frame processing). If you have a blu ray player with usb playback you will get smooth playback without any messing about in the TV. My HDR-1000S plays back 1080p 50Hz content perfectly. There is no problem with iplayer 50Hz content.

I have all video processing options off on my Panasonic TV.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 14:03:47 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

The reason that blu ray movies aren't smooth is because the box does not support 24Hz content. The effect is the same as playing a blu ray on a TV without 24Hz support (it's upscaled to 60Hz using drop frame processing). If you have a blu ray player with usb playback you will get smooth playback without any messing about in the TV. My HDR-1000S plays back 1080p 50Hz content perfectly. There is no problem with iplayer 50Hz content.

You're over complicating things again, these boxes don't have bluray drives to play actual Blurays do they ? Obviously I was referring to actual Blu-ray Discs yes the ones played on bluray players hopefully connected to TV's that fully supports bluray content. You on the other hand are just referring to encodes rips x264/x265 etc etc played via the media player.

My comment was more general about TV/ movie frame rates and the illusion of smooth motion. As I said it is only an illusion, some brains are fooled easier than others !

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 15:11:31 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 1 minute ago  » 

You're over complicating things again, these boxes don't have bluray drives to play actual Blurays do they ? Obviously I was referring to actual Blu-ray Discs yes the ones played on bluray players hopefully connected to TV's that fully supports bluray content. You on the other hand are just referring to encodes rips x264/x265 etc etc played via the media player.
    My comment was more general about TV/ movie frame rates and the illusion of smooth motion. As I said it is only an illusion, some brains are fooled easier than others !

Not over complicating things at all.

You was the one that brought up blu-ray which is virtually always 1080p24. Try some HD trailers. Much of the streamed content you get is also 1080p24 (Plenty on YouTube), if the device doesn't support 24p you get exactly the issue you describe. Blu Ray does not support 1080p at a higher frame rate than 24 frames/second. To get 50/60 frames you have to go down to 1280 x 720 (720p50 720p60). My DSLR also produces 1080p24 video which looks jerky on the HDR-1000S but plays fine via my blu-ray usb port.

http://www.hd-trailers.net/

As to comparing playback of blu-ray to a broadcast or streamed source, that's just daft. Blu ray's typically use around 28mbps compared to an average broadcast bitrate of around 8 - 10Mbps.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 15:18:50 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Reffub - 1 minute ago  » 

Not over complicating things at all.
    You was the one that brought up blu-ray which is virtually always 1080p24. Try some HD trailers. Much of the streamed content you get is also 1080p24 (Plenty on YouTube), if the device doesn't support 24p you get exactly the issue you describe. Blu Ray does not support 1080p at a higher frame rate than 24 frames/second. To get 50/60 frames you have to go down to 1280 x 720 (720p50 720p60). My DSLR also produces 1080p24 video which looks jerky on the HDR-1000S but plays fine via my blu-ray usb port.
    http://www.hd-trailers.net/
    As to comparing playback of blu-ray to a broadcast or streamed source, that's just daft. Blu ray's typically use around 28mbps compared to an average broadcast bitrate of around 8 - 10Mbps.

^Well it looks like you are over complicating it and now you're going on about bitrates for some reason, when the subject is jerky menus animations/transitions.

BTW with my TV I can watch Blurays in 1080p with a higher frame rate than 24 as Intelligent Frame Creation automatically switches to "24p Smooth Film". It is so much better than basic 24fps but I suppose not everyone will appreciate the difference it makes !

So just to make it clear I have no playback issues with TV or Blurays whatsoever and I have never played Blurays on my 1000S (as it isn't a bluray player) and I have never played bluray rips encodes etc via its media player, in fact I've hardly ever used the 1000s media player. Yes in my opinion the menu animations could be smoother but I've never thought it was a problem or annoying.
    Please understand that not every person has the good fortune to be so easily fooled into seeing perfectly smooth motion from a few still images as your good self. This is why I think Ultra HD Blu-ray (that's a physical optical disc format) which supports 4K resolution and HDR at 60 frames per second is a good idea. The rather old standard TV/movie frame rates are totally inadequate for this day and age which is why they have and will be increasing them in the future.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 16:50:16 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All video is a series of still images. It's not possible to transmit every full image using digital modulation. It was possible using one UHF carrier using analogue modulation (one channel per carrier).

Digital HD broadcasting requires a non intraframe compression system (DV PAL digital camcorders had a intraframe compression codec). Intraframe has a non lossy compression system with full pixel data for each and every frame of the recording. As a result bitrate is high and file sizes are large. (about 4GB for every 20 minutes).

Digital broadcasting requires a lossy compression system where ultimate quality depends on bitrate allocated to each channel and the efficiency of the codec used to achieve the lossy compression,

SD channels use the same compression video codec developed for DVD (mpeg2).

HD ones use the later more efficient H264/AVC

UHD ones use the newer more efficient H265 codec.

Advances in the modulation system used (DVB-T/T2 DVB-S/S2 and in some cases (as on satellite) using a less robust fec (error correction
    system) thanks to higher UK spotbeam field strengths to increase the available bandwidth.

A fact some Panasonic and Sony Freesat TV owners will attest to, having lost ITV 1 HD reception.

Unfortunately history does not support your point of view, most broadcasters (especially Sky) use the enhanced bitrate arising from version 2 modulation (and possible less robust forward error correct ion) to simply cram more channels into the now somewhat expanded bandwidth.

It's certain the UK will before long switch off all DVB-T Freeview mux to replace them with DVB-T2 mux. Don't expect more channels the bandwidth will be sold as was the upper half of the UHF banwidth to the highest bidder.

Sorry to burst your bubble, bitrates for broadcast TV will decline from the superb initial BBC HD test at 19Mbps from 28.2E as viewed on Pioneer Kuro HD TV. They had the impact you get now on a 4K TV viewed from a UHD blu ray (with the possible exception of the non resolution gains) you get from the HDR enchanced colour depth. I reckon a high bitrate HDR HD transmission system would be much superior for most viewers unable to sit close to a 4K TV and use much less valuable bandwidth.

Resolution is a tiny part of the video quality. 720p50 can look much better than bitrate restricted 1080i quality simply because the motion artefacts are much less.

| Mon 17 Jul 2017 23:39:21 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

All video is a series of still images.

Well at least we're in agreement on that.

Unfortunately the rest of your post completely missed the point or was posted for some other purpose ! Not wishing to burst bubbles either but the illusion of smooth motion can't be achieved by increasing bitrate (no idea why you're going on about bitrates constantly) the problem is and always has been frame rates or the amount of different still images per second if you prefer, whether that's box animations, TV broadcasts or standard film.

So getting back on track there are reasons why we ended up with the current standard tv/movie frame rates and those reasons have absolutely nothing to do with what looks the best.

It all started a long long time ago.........

The truth is Film studios only decided to use 24fps because it was economical with film (cheaper) and at that time they could get their 'new' audio to sync with it, that was about 90 years ago at the start of the talkies !
    And the reason TV broadcast are at current frame rates are because at that time they needed it to sync with the AC line frequency of the country. They don't need to anymore...
    I don't like watching TV with just the basic film or TV frame rates. There is a reason why TV manufacturers give us video processing options like IFC and 24p smooth etc and that's because 24fps and basic TV isn't that smooth and TV pictures look so much sharper and clearer when extra frames are created and added. (Unless you have a crap tv then obviously leave any video processing off)

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 10:14:46 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.