My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1100S Very jerky on screen menus

(24 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bitrate makes a massive difference to how smooth and detailed the video looks. Putting it as simply as possible the higher the bitrate the less video information is lost so the re-invented frames are much closer to the original data.

Anyone with a HD camcorder or DVD recorder will tell you that. At the same framerate the higher bitrate settings produces way better pictures than the lower ones at the expense of producing much larger files.

If you watch a blu ray with your fancy processing turned off it will look much superior to HD from broadcast TV even if you let the box de-interlace and double the frame rate to 50 fps. That's 24 fps compared to 50 fps.

You surely aren't saying broadcast HD looks better than blu ray ?

They both use the same compression codec, only difference is bitrate and frame rate.

You should try looking at the i frames of HD TV using a video editor zoomed into single frame resolution.

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 10:25:13 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This makes interesting reading

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 10:50:02 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Bitrate makes a massive difference to how smooth and detailed the video looks. Putting it as simply as possible the higher the bitrate the less video information is lost so the re-invented frames are much closer to the original data.
    Anyone with a HD camcorder or DVD recorder will tell you that. At the same framerate the higher bitrate settings produces way better pictures than the lower ones at the expense of producing much larger files.
    If you watch a blu ray with your fancy processing turned off it will look much superior to HD from broadcast TV even if you let the box de-interlace and double the frame rate to 50 fps. That's 24 fps compared to 50 fps.
    You surely aren't saying broadcast HD looks better than blu ray ?
    They both use the same compression codec, only difference is bitrate and frame rate.
    You should try looking at the i frames of HD TV using a video editor zoomed into single frame resolution.

Yes I'd rather watch video at high bitrates with crystal clear clarity but I also like smooth motion, you don't magically get perfect motion by increasing bitrates. I'm not saying that high bitrates won't help it just that they aren't the answer. Current frame rates aren't enough to fool my brain I don't want to watch blurry jumping panning shots and with my TV "fancy processing" I don't have to.

Obviously you don't think that there is anything wrong with the current frames rates so this conversation is all rather pointless. You perceive perfectly smooth motion with standard TV and film I do not. You think that big/small box menu transition looks smooth, I think it could be smoother.

Yes I know that many people find the 90 year old 24 a magical frame rate and it provides them with perfect and realistic motion and I'm very happy for them. But the fact is Blu-ray Discs with their high bitrates don't look smooth to everyone.

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 12:13:59 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    This makes interesting reading
    https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/

You found a Dec 2013 article on the soap opera effect an interesting read, I thought everyone had heard of that by now !
    If you get that effect with your TV you have two choices, get a better TV or carry on as you are with video processing turned off.

A few years ago I was watching a BBC wildlife program in HD (of course), an eagle was flying over a broken up ice field, the picture quality was breathtakingly perfect, as the camera followed the eagle every piece of ice below it was clear and had perfect edges as it went past. As a test I decided to watch it again with the fancy TV video processing turned OFF and the only think that wasn't blurred was the eagle in the centre of the screen it honestly hurt my eyes. This is with Panasonic plasma, all I'm saying is what looks okay to you may be quite painful for other people to watch. Certainly never seen any soap opera effect from my TV.

| Tue 18 Jul 2017 12:16:04 #24 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.