My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T noise problem

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jprice

I bought a Humax HDR 2000T last week, as an upgrade from my old Humax PVR, however, this new machine is noisey. It's not the fan, it sounds like it's a hard drive spinning (similar to what you get when your computer is loading a program). This noise is every few seconds & occurs whether the machine is recording a program or not. Any advice as to how to get rid of it or do I need to return the device? (I've tried placing the HDR on a soft placemat to absorb the sound but this hasn't helped). Thanks.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 14:26:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Jprice - 1 hour ago  » 
    I bought a Humax HDR 2000T last week, as an upgrade from my old Humax PVR, however, this new machine is noisey. It's not the fan, it sounds like it's a hard drive spinning (similar to what you get when your computer is loading a program). This noise is every few seconds & occurs whether the machine is recording a program or not. Any advice as to how to get rid of it or do I need to return the device? (I've tried placing the HDR on a soft placemat to absorb the sound but this hasn't helped). Thanks.

You don't is the short answer. A number of people, myself included have complained from the start regarding the noise this machine makes. It's basically the platters moving back and forth across the drive. If I leave mine on without the TV and sit there quietly reading a book it can drive me to distraction. I suspect build quality has been sacrificed in favour of cost.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 16:16:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jprice

Thanks for your reply Faust. That's disappointing. The whole reason we stuck with Humax as a brand was due to the fact we'd had our old machine for 8 years & had never had any issues with it.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 16:21:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The odd thing is we also have the HDR 1000s Freesat version and that is a much quieter machine. Having said that it was also more expensive.

I haven't had any problems with the 2000T, it works impeccably, it's just a somewhat noisy.

| Fri 30 Oct 2015 16:36:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Just bought one and feel I have made a big mistake.

Ive owned an 800OT for ages so felt Humax would be a good buy again.

The picture and features are great but I cant get over the hard drive rasping and twittering every 6 seconds which seems very poor design or cost cutting.

I was thinking of sound damping but may have to return it as the noise feels too inferior to have in my home

| Sun 4 Sep 2016 12:32:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Well I have the Humax 2000T and its very quiet, I have to put my ear right on it to hear the hard drive, mine do make a noise when I first put it on, then goes quiet.
    Maybe you have just got unlucky to have one with a noisy hard drive in. I would try and get a replacement if it new.

| Sun 4 Sep 2016 12:42:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Thanks. I will have to take it with a slight pinch of salt because different people accept different parameters.

Well I hear this and it makes me feel worse. Why are Humax putting different hard drive qualities in these units?

Theres no way any hard drive in a pvr should be making noise that can be heard from well away

It doesnt seem right to have a pot luck situation if they are using up old stock. I get the sense that they have a inferior hard drive specification batch which they are still using for financial reasons

It all seems so casual to say send it back. It may go back to the shop but before that I will be contacting Humax

| Sun 4 Sep 2016 13:03:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

bill63 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well I have the Humax 2000T and its very quiet, I have to put my ear right on it to hear the hard drive, mine do make a noise when I first put it on, then goes quiet.
    Maybe you have just got unlucky to have one with a noisy hard drive in. I would try and get a replacement if it new.

When you say it's quiet Bill, have you got your TV on at the time? Have you sat in the room with the 2000T switched on and have no other extraneous noise going on? If you do this and your hearing is good then I think you may find a very different situation, depending of course on the boxes location and geography of room.

Ours is sat on a glass stand under the TV in an open lounge and believe me if the room is quiet then I can certainly hear the platters going back and forth across the drive (no recording in progress). Takes me back to my old PC days. I can't hear it when the TV is on or there is other noise in the lounge. By contrast our HDR 1000s is much quieter. Definitely been some penny pinching with the 2000T

| Sun 4 Sep 2016 14:29:47 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 13 minutes ago  » 
    When you say it's quiet Bill, have you got your TV on at the time? Have you sat in the room with the 2000T switched on and have no other extraneous noise going on? If you do this and your hearing is good then I think you may find a very different situation, depending of course on the boxes location and geography of room.

I can't speak for Bill but apart form the sitting down bit I have been in a silent room on separate occasions with 2 different HDR-2000Ts. The HDRs were both buffering a TV channel and with my ear on top of their cases could not hear anything or rather it was so quiet I was wondering if anything I could hear was just my imagination.

Even when recording 2 HD channels and watching a third in time slip mode it was very quiet in a quiet room. 'It' because I only tried making it as noisy as possible with the second unit.
    If there is a next time I'll add the DLNA server to the mix.

| Sun 4 Sep 2016 14:53:03 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi all

So are we saying there are different grades of hard drive noise or is it down to individual perception? The clattery noise isnt low if I can hear it from 3 metres away. I wouldnt class it as a low noise and indeed think its amplified by the thin casework

I am technically minded and have a long history with a Humax 8000t. Yes I know thats standard definition but the low drone detected was in many ways better than a rasping twittering drive head going backwards and forwards too often.

I get the overall view that the 2000t is a cost cutting budget product but I expected more from Humax. Ive asked them if they have entered the age of throwaway products.

It may be acceptable if I just get used to being stuck with it. I would prefer to change the hard drive myself

However I do a lot of winding down when the TV has to be on quietly. I dont always want to listen through headphones but the annoying thing is that on a quiet scene, especially if Im recording something else I can hear it over the on ear headphones...yes even with lightish on ear headphones on!

I may have to go for a model higher up the range and I have asked Humax which models dont make this noise

| Sun 4 Sep 2016 15:04:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.