My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T noise problem

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes but when there is a quiet scene, I can hear this thing chuntering away especially when I might be recording something else on an HD.

I tried drowning it with the television and you actually have to have the telly above relaxing volumes.

Its quite a sharp noise the hard drive makes and it throws it right through the thin unit casing.

Ok I have been in the last century with an 8000T but I didnt expect hard drive noise like this.

About half its current hard drive noise may be acceptable. I still think its far too loud for a product designed to sit on a tv shelf

At the moment its on a glass shelf. I will try it on various mats and one day I will probably soundproof the casing

| Mon 5 Sep 2016 22:39:32 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi Minstrel SE, yes glass cabinets do amplify sound. I did have a glass cabinet once, when I had my old VCR.
    That thing was very noisy you could hear that thing kick in all over the house.
    So I tried a wooden cabinet I was given and it did damped the sound a Quite a bit, plus it has doors.
    I have got rid of the glass cabinet now and use the wooden one.
    But even so my 2000T is very quiet not like yours but mine is about 2 years old, whether that's makes any difference or not.
    But saying that our old Top Up TV box hard drive was a bit on the noisy side.

| Tue 6 Sep 2016 10:43:05 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I will try things out Bill63 but Im very hesitant to blame a very solid wide, open glass rack.

The Humax unit is on fairly solid rubber feet but its too easy to blame feet or shelf material as if its and easy soloution Previous models needed proper hard drive mounting dampers and it was nothing to do with sorbothane pads and mouse mats that some people were claiming worked...they didnt to cure bearing hum/drone

This is a different issue with a clattery head which is noisier than other hard drives. Im learning to live with it but its about 50% too loud for a start.

My unit is also losing disc functions until rebooted so its really not looking good at all for a happy future

| Tue 6 Sep 2016 22:09:19 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have to comment that even if the volume of my TV is down low, say 10% you would not hear our 2000T at all. As said previously I can only hear it when there is no other noise in the lounge at all apart from the clock ticking. What I hear then are the platters as they move across the disk, then a mild bump which I assume is them reaching the middle, then the whole thing starts again. It is a very low key affair though.

| Tue 6 Sep 2016 22:44:56 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Minstrel SE - 51 minutes ago  » 
    My unit is also losing disc functions until rebooted so its really not looking good at all for a happy future

I would take it back and ask for a refund and then buy elsewhere. Its not just the noise but also the fact that the HDD is also not always playing being recognised at system start up.

There are people like me who would just take noisy units back and therefore there will be a greater percentage of refurbished units that are noisy compared to new. If I was getting fed up with it all I wouldn't even get a refurbished unit from humax direct(current cost for a 500Gb with a 1 year warranty is £109 + £7 P&P, then a self upgrade to a 2TB would cost an additional £69 and negate the warranty). Or perhaps I would and then after a few months update to the seagate pipeline 2TB as I've already had 2 and they are quiet enough - a bit of a wiz on start up and a clear click at power down which other owners have also remarked on.

What size is your 2000T's HDD? Noise complaints posted on-line about the 500GB are far rarer than the 1TB.

Thinking about whether the shop is selling refurbished as new, were instructions for obtaining a 2 year Humax guarantee included with it? If it was missing then it does not look like it was new. Unfortunately sometimes it can still be present with refurbished units, and so its presence is no guarantee that the unit is new.
    By the way the 2 year guarantee allows Humax to replace with a refurbished model instead of repairing so its normally better to go through the retailer first, at least in the first year. A couple of years ago the Humax on-line registration did not check at time of registration whether the unit is known to be not new and so it can't be used to check whether the the unit is known to Humax to be refurbished or previously registered.

| Tue 6 Sep 2016 23:00:32 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

hi
    Its the 500Gb unit and it came with a two year guarantee leaflet

Under a bike light I can see hints of feet marks on top and corner scratches on the top plate so it looks like a possible refurb

The front is mint and Im a stickler so maybe a new front has been put on or top covers are reused

I was wondering if they put the two year guarantee in because they have had so many returns and refubs

You see I get attached to new products and its mostly working fine with a noisy hard drive. I think there is enough there to complain about but if it did go back that would be it and I would try the Panasonic

| Wed 7 Sep 2016 17:55:50 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

I think if I were you, I Would take it back to the shop and maybe go for another make or even a replacement, because all makes I have found have some bugs in them like keeps freezing, don't record some programmes, noisy hard drive etc..
    I don't think there is one manufactures that I have tried makes the perfect PVR with out some bug or another.
    I think its just pot luck if you get a really good one these days as they are all mass produced.

| Wed 7 Sep 2016 21:06:27 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The Panasonic is good but the UI is antique and clunky, don't say I didn't warn you.

| Wed 7 Sep 2016 22:53:57 #28 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.