My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR1000S (almost) completely dead

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vorix

On Friday night my ~4 year old HDR1000S just seemed to die. The TV screen showed a wihite/grey pixelated image and then the display on the front of the box went. I unplugged for an hour or so and it then showed the <Freetime> logo once on the display but since then nothing.
    The only sign of life when there is power connected is that the SPDIF socket briefly flashes red and if the ethernet cable is connected then the connection lights on the socket are illuminated.

I've taken the lid off (pretty simple inside) and the HDD isn't making any noise - I tried swapping it for an old SATA disk I have but that made no difference. There is still nothing showing on the front panel display.

I tried connecting direct to another TV (it was connected via my AV amp originally) with the HDMI-CEC turned off but still nothing.

I can only think something has fried internally for some reason and am resigned to having to replace it unless anyone has experienced this before and can suggest anything? I've been through about 10 pages of posts on this forum and haven't spotted anything quite like this being reported.

Cheers

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 15:46:59 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Will the box boot with the hard disk disconnected ? Welcome to our forum ?

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 15:57:47 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If Graham's suggestion does not yield results I would suggest trying a replacement power supply.

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 16:22:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vorix

Hi Graham - thanks for the response. I just tried with HDD drive disconnected and it still appears mainly dead - just the network lights illuminated.

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 16:29:44 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Vorix - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham - thanks for the response. I just tried with HDD drive disconnected and it still appears mainly dead - just the network lights illuminated.

Re Repassacs suggestion, can you check the DC voltage on the power supply plug ? From memory it should be regulated 12V. Any signs of bulging electrolytic capacitors internally ?

Without the HDD the box should boot and complain about the missing storage

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 16:38:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vorix

Power supply shows a stable 12.17V according to my multimeter. No sign of bulging capacitors on the main board that I can see. There's no apparent video output via HDMI at all (have it connected to my PC monitor at the moment)

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 16:52:02 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Vorix - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Power supply shows a stable 12.17V according to my multimeter. No sign of bulging capacitors on the main board that I can see. There's no apparent video output via HDMI at all (have it connected to my PC monitor at the moment)

Not looking good. As you say it's not a fault I have seen reported before.

Anything happening on the analogue outputs ? Is it possible to check internally that the 12V input is maintained after a boot. The leds on the sockets coming on and then shutting down could be the power supply current limiting shutting it down or just a faulty supply (as Repassac suggests).

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 17:03:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vorix

I just checked the voltage across the pins for the HDD power supply on the motherboard - showing a few mV at best. I think this should be showing 5V or 12V.

The network socket LED's are continually on when power is supplied and an active network cable connected, it's everything else that is dead.

I can try and find some analogue cables (I think I binned my last SCART years ago) but i'm becoming less hopeful of resolution

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 17:10:12 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vorix

Nope - nothing on the analog video output. Looks like it's a goner.

Very frustrating as there was no apparent reason for it to fail and had been working for years in this configuration. Dare I suggest some built in obsolescence? Given that there are no other manufacturers of Freesat kit with an equivalent spec other than Humax, it looks like they'll be getting some more of my money, rather begrudgingly!

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 17:24:53 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Vorix - 57 minutes ago  » 
    Nope - nothing on the analog video output. Looks like it's a goner.
    Very frustrating as there was no apparent reason for it to fail and had been working for years in this configuration. Dare I suggest some built in obsolescence? Given that there are no other manufacturers of Freesat kit with an equivalent spec other than Humax, it looks like they'll be getting some more of my money, rather begrudgingly!

Shame - pretty sure it's 5V on the compact sata power connector. Myself and Reppasac have one of the early HDR1000S (both with WD 2TB drives self fitted when nearly new). Touch wood so far still working. I also have a 2008 Foxsat-hdr (1TB) also used every day.

Any sign of a 5V voltage regulator on the motherboard ?

Was the box in a well ventilated location ?

| Sun 17 Jan 2016 18:26:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.