My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR1100s and DLNA client seeing content issues

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SonofRojBlake

Software version UKSFAA 3.00.96
    Update date 13 Aug 2018.
    Connected to EE Smarthub by ethernet cable. On Demand services (Youtube, iPlayer, UKTVPlay etc.) are all fully stable and reliable, so connection to router is good.
    Also connected to Smarthub by ethernet cable: Windows 10 PC with a couple of shared folders containing video files - movies, TV shows etc. Sharing to home network using both Media Player AND Serviio.
    Also connected to Smarthub by ethernet cable: Playstation 4, with Media Player client taking content from home network.

Playstation 4 can see both WMP *and* Serviio servers and access and play content reliably.

HDR1100s can sometimes see and access videos. Sometimes it can see WMP server but not Serviio (when both are running), or the other way round. Sometimes it can see one or both servers but when selected it says "No Items" - i.e. it can see there's a server there but it can't see that there's anything on it.

There are some formats it can't play - I'm fine with that, there are ways round it and formats it can reliably play IF it can see the damn file.

If I didn't have the PS4 on the network proving that the sharing works fine from the PC end I'd be tearing out my hair. As it is I can eliminate the PC and any connectivity issues and point the finger firmly at the DLNA client on the Humax as the problem. Its physical connection is 100% fine and the sharing is fine.

Can anyone suggest a solution that doesn't involve giving up on the Humax as a DLNA client and using something else? Intermittently it does work, but the flakiness is driving me up the wall.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 0:06:15 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I wonder if this is a sharing problem - Did you enable the legacy SMB client and SMB Direct in windows.

Also check in WMP that streaming is turned on and the HDR-1100S is correctly authorised. Both of these wound only possibly make a difference for WMP.

Last thought does restarting the PC Browser service make any difference. You may need to recommence looking for the server.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 9:26:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    I wonder if this is a sharing problem - Did you enable the legacy SMB client and SMB Direct in windows.

I am puzzled why you think enabling SMB would have any impact on using DLNA to play media; could you explain please?

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 11:30:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SonofRojBlake

Did you enable the legacy SMB client and SMB Direct in windows.

I don't remember doing, but in Control Panel-Turn Windows Features On and Off SMB Direct boxes all have ticks in them.

Streaming is turned on in WMP and all devices on all networks are fully authorised.

does restarting the PC Browser service make any difference

How do I do that? I've gone into ControlPanel-AdministrativeTools-Services, but I can't see a service called "PC Browser" among the hundreds. I *can* see one called "UPnP Device Host" which is manually activated rather than automatic - is that it?

(Can't see how it can be a sharing problem at the PC end - as I say, the PS4 sees and uses the shares just fine even while the Humax box can't see any content)

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 12:27:55 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think it is indirectly triggered. Launch task manager and you should see it there.
    upnphost should also be running if DLNA is to work.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 13:05:01 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

I am puzzled why you think enabling SMB would have any impact on using DLNA to play media; could you explain please?

It should not if the protocol has been correctly implemented.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 13:06:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SonofRojBlake

In Task Manager there's no service called "PC Browser". I've attached a pic of what the P bit of the services list looks like...

(Note: I just factory reset the box. All channels came back, and when I went into Humax-Media Share it showed just the main default server... then the Serviio one a few seconds later... then the UMS one a few seconds after that. Then the default one disappeared. Then the Serviio one disappeared. The UMS one showed no content, as did the other two. Could this be something the EE Smarthub is doing, as it's the most recently changed piece of kit in the network?)

Attachments

1. Task_manager.jpg (93.5 KB, 4 downloads) 3 years old
    | Tue 19 Jan 2021 14:28:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SonofRojBlake

I've found a service called "Computer Browser", but it was running. I've set it to run automatically (it was listed as being manual). Will see if that changes anything.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 14:53:13 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

SonofRojBlake - 47 mins ago  » 
    I've found a service called "Computer Browser", but it was running. I've set it to run automatically (it was listed as being manual). Will see if that changes anything.

The Browser service has the description Computer Browser and is started by netsvcs.
    I would think that it needs other services to be started before it. The idea was to restart it so it would rescan the network rather than doing it periodically thus not relying on announcements by other services. If you have a server in your network it may be the master browser and that's the service that should be rest\arted.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 15:45:47 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SonofRojBlake - 1 hour ago  » 
    Could this be something the EE Smarthub is doing, as it's the most recently changed piece of kit in the network?

I think that is the most likely explanation. Have a look in the Smarthub settings for anything related to UPnP.

| Tue 19 Jan 2021 16:24:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.