My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Heat problem?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Has anyone noticed problems with the 5000T resulting from the heat? I am not talking about propagation, but the box playing up.

I switched the box on about 1130 and watched a few lunchtime programmes, then turned off the TV, but not the box.

About 1700 I went to watch a recording and found that the box was misbehaving. The volume controls were not responding properly and selecting the recording from the list resulted in a long "please wait" period.

I ended up switching the box off at the wall and rebooting. That sorted the problem, but I lost a recording which had been in progress.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 11:36:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I have always made sure mine is sat on some foam pads. This not only increases air circulation underneath but dampens any vibration of the hdd.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 12:38:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks.

I have mine lifted up at the front about half an inch, originally to make visibility of the lights better, but by chance also improving air circulation.

Anyway, I have just finished watching the BBC news, so I have turned it off until this evening as it is still fairly hot here.

By the way, I have not noticed any vibration.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 13:48:39 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Mine is also lifted up to make the visibility of the light better and to improve the air circulation. Mine does vibrate a lot a couple of minuted after switching on. As something heats up the vibration goes down. Probably the ill-fitting plastic case.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 17:59:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

No repeat of the problem tonight. It ran all evening without a problem. However it failed to record Pointless, but I think that was because the CRID was changed.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 22:45:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikeatupwey

Of course the 4000/5000t's have no fan and are known for running hot. Maybe the issue was exacerbated by the exceptionally hot weather of late. Is the unit in the sun during the day? I think others here have given good advice ensuring there is a reasonable air gap around the PVR.
    Having said all that the response times of my 4000t are dreadful even in midwinter.

| Sat 27 Jun 2020 7:52:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

mikeatupwey - 1 hour ago  » 
    Of course the 4000/5000t's have no fan and are known for running hot. Maybe the issue was exacerbated by the exceptionally hot weather of late. Is the unit in the sun during the day? I think others here have given good advice ensuring there is a reasonable air gap around the PVR.
    Having said all that the response times of my 4000t are dreadful even in midwinter.

Yes, it was the hot weather I was thinking about.

No, the box is not in the sun, in fact during the last few days we have had the front curtains drawn for our benefit and the box is near to that window. I think the room temperature probably peaked at around 27C on the day of the problem (it was 32-33 outside!).

As I indicated above, the ventilation seems adequate.

| Sat 27 Jun 2020 9:54:25 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.