My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

how to play mkv files with subs from usb drive

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

no subs showed. however, i did get subs when using an mp4 file. the problem i had there was that changing from mkv files to mp4 files the video wasn't as smooth as i would like or as i thought it should be. i used Media Coder to do the swap. not sure what software would give better results, so again am open to suggestions for me to try. i did try Free MKV To MP$ Converter but that resulted in very blocky video with no way to change things and had to then add subs separately, so not much help there.

| Sun 11 Jun 2017 22:55:52 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

well, i did some more experimenting and seemed to have cracked things at last. i used Handbrake to redo the mkv file, changing it to mp4. i changed things in as much as using 'same as source' for the video framerate, rather than the setting chosen automatically, made sure audio was AAC and then had to remove the subs that were also selected as 'Foreign Audio Scan', add the subs i wanted but then had to ensure that 'Burn In' was selected. so far all seems to be good. the one thing i am a bit confused over still is why some files reencode as mp4 and some as m4v. any info as to why this is?

| Tue 13 Jun 2017 21:20:59 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

It might be easier if you bought a stand-alone media player as I did. £80 got me a player that plays everything I throw at it without the effort you have invested. The Humax so called media player capability is an idle boast.

| Tue 13 Jun 2017 21:45:24 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

but thats extra expense plus finding another socket, etc, etc. Now i've sorted this bit, it's done. Next question is does the usb drive have to be removed each time when turning off the freesat box? If not, how to access the drive to start playing the movie again? I cant find any option to restart it

| Fri 16 Jun 2017 18:57:08 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No need to remove it. Menu - Humax - Video. Choose the USB Drive.

| Fri 16 Jun 2017 19:09:14 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

tnx for that grahamlthompson. like every answer, easy when you know it, ha ha. how did i not see that? spot the brain cell, i guess.

anyway, appreciate the help received from you guys. much obliged. now i can use the usb feature to my hearts content!

| Fri 16 Jun 2017 20:00:48 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jimbo49 - 1 hour ago  » 
    tnx for that grahamlthompson. like every answer, easy when you know it, ha ha. how did i not see that? spot the brain cell, i guess.
    anyway, appreciate the help received from you guys. much obliged. now i can use the usb feature to my hearts content!

The original Freetime (Freesat 2nd generation) spec, allowed individual makers to add additional capabilities (In this case Media Playback) in a seperate menu option with the makers name) within the standard User Interface.

As so far no other manufacturer has risen to the challenge, only Humax exists as a menu option. Knowing this is kind of the key as to where to look for the capability. For us early adaptors it took a little while to find the option once the auto usb drive attached notification timed out .

Safely disconnecting a USB drive is another somewhat concealed option, to ensure write operations to a usb drive are completed.

Without the above info it's very easy to overlook the option.

| Fri 16 Jun 2017 21:55:57 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

oh so true. i had looked and missed it and had basically given up on an option being there, resorting to removal and replacing to get the drive to play. so much better now. many tnx!

| Fri 16 Jun 2017 23:34:34 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.