My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

how to play mkv files with subs from usb drive

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

hi all
    i want to play mkv files with subtitles from a usb flash drive plugged into my new 1100s freesat box. the mkv files play fine but i cant get the subs to show. i have checked them in the mkv files and also as separate files but no luck. i have tried 3 different flash drives, again with no luck. anyone able to shed some light on this problem please?
    if i use mpg files the subs show, so dont understand the problem.

many tia

| Fri 9 Jun 2017 21:22:59 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I don't think the video container is relevant (.mkv and .mpg are containers which contain video and audio in various compression formats and subtitles in other formats). I guess your .MKV (Matroska Video) contain subtitles in a format the 1100S does not support.

This thread may help.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-guide-to-extract-dvb-subtitles-from-ts-hd-file-and-convert-to-srt-in-minutes.6625/#post-110882

This will explain just what video containers support in the way of content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

Download the free MediaInfo programme. It's treeview tab will tell you virtually everything contained in most any AV file.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

| Fri 9 Jun 2017 21:54:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

hi and tnx for reply.

i am of the same opinion as far as the video file is concerned but i have tried srt subs and ssa subs with the same result, nothing shows. i have tried having the video and sub files separate (but he sub file isn't even visible) and have added the sub file to the video file using mkvtoolnix. no joy. any suggestion as to what sub file type will play on the 1100s?
    if i re-encode the video to mpg, add subs to the file and plug the usb into the tv (it doesn't recognise mkv files), everything works. getting the video file small enough but good enough to watch is an issue, hence wanting to use mkv video files and plug the usb direct into the freesat box. i need the subs as i am hard of hearing.

| Fri 9 Jun 2017 22:38:11 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There shouldn't be any need to re-code the video just to change the container from .mkv to .mpg (mpeg programme stream). If you post the MediaInfo tree view output of a example file we would have a much better idea as to what you are dealing with.

I will grab a SD and HD file (.ts container) from my Foxsat and post the subtitle details.

| Sat 10 Jun 2017 10:06:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

out of curiosity, what program would you suggest using to just 'change the container from mkv to mpg'?

did you also want the subtitle info? if so, let me know. as i said previously, i have tried srt and ssa files, merged into the video mkv file and as separates. neither work in these ways but both work if re-encoding the mkv file to mpg

Attachments

1. Unacknowledged.mkv.MediaInfo.txt (6.4 KB, 3 downloads) 6 years old
    | Sat 10 Jun 2017 12:51:01 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try TSmuxerGUI output as .ts.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

Incidentally the Freetime units play back 24p with some motion artefacts as they will only output 50Hz. I play files like that using the usb port on my blu-ray player. Blu-ray is natively 24p so you get a much smoother playback.

| Sat 10 Jun 2017 13:08:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

didn't achieve what i wanted using TSmuxer, so am going to see what else i can find that will perhaps do the job. if i am successful, i'll post back. thought maybe handbrake may work, so will try that

| Sat 10 Jun 2017 16:07:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimbo49

just an update, grahamlthompson, unfortunately handbrake didn't work either. i should have tried mp4 as well but didn't so will give one of them a try. seems a bit weird that mpg files with subs work but mkv files with subs dont. i wonder what the problem actually is considering mkv files without subs play fine. neither srt or ssa will play and cant figure out what would be so wrong with them

| Sun 11 Jun 2017 17:09:13 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jimbo49 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    just an update, grahamlthompson, unfortunately handbrake didn't work either. i should have tried mp4 as well but didn't so will give one of them a try. seems a bit weird that mpg files with subs work but mkv files with subs dont. i wonder what the problem actually is considering mkv files without subs play fine. neither srt or ssa will play and cant figure out what would be so wrong with them

Strange that .mpg work and .ts don't. They are nearly identical containers. .ts transport stream is designed for broadcast streaming and programme stream for optical disk use (DVD). In fact very often you can change the .ts to .mpg and kit that doesn't play .ts plays back just fine.

| Sun 11 Jun 2017 17:22:28 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jimbo49 - 1 day ago  » 
    didn't achieve what i wanted using TSmuxer, so am going to see what else i can find that will perhaps do the job.

In what way did it not achieve what you wanted?

| Sun 11 Jun 2017 18:34:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.