My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax 5000 Disappointed.

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

I purchased the Humax 5000 box to replace my recording facility when I cancelled my Virgin TV package that had a Tivo (very reliable) TV box.

I am quite disappointed with the Humax box as its just so unreliable. I have regular programs that its set to record but the reality is sometimes it does & sometimes it dont, I'm finding myself now switching it on to check if its recording a program I set thats just started that I dont have time to watch at the time. I went to watch a recorded program a couple of nights ago only to find it got the first 4 minutes only ??? whatever was that about. I have the box set to record WHOLE SERIES on some programs but it still dont get them all.

Last night I went to check if it was recording a set program (it was not recording ) so tried to do it manually but my station menu had disappeared so had no program to record as no station, it was an HD channel so dont think it should have been affected by this new TV station search that I think is about.

I know I probably should not ask this question here but are there any other TV recording boxes that are more reliable without getting into a contract as pretty fed up with this Humax 5000, silly thing is I only purchased it because my sister had one & she told me how reliable it was ???. I have checked for any software updates & its currently on the latest so at a loss with it.

I had a new digital aerial fitted a couple of years ago & the signal is 100% so no issues with aerial.

| Thu 27 Apr 2023 9:23:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Blue.boy - 22 mins ago  » 
    I had a new digital aerial fitted a couple of years ago & the signal is 100% so no issues with aerial.

Are you saying the signal strength is 100% (as reported by the Humax) or the signal quality?

| Thu 27 Apr 2023 9:47:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

If I remember strength 80% & quality 100%. Tv works absolutely fine so I dont think aerial is a problem.

| Thu 27 Apr 2023 13:57:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

Reported by Humax.

| Thu 27 Apr 2023 14:01:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Blue.boy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Reported by Humax.

Thanks, 80% signal strength is fine; if it had been 100% then that might have been a problem. In my experience the FVP-5000T is reasonably reliable at making recordings. I suggest you try a manual tune using the instructions at https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

| Thu 27 Apr 2023 15:29:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

I also have a 5000T it is now about 5 years old and performs very well, has had the occasional hiccup but nothing major. Never fails to record.
    Where did you buy your 5000T, was it new, you can always take it back and get a replacement if it is under 30 days old.
    The 5000T is a very old model, Humax. have been making it for almost 9 years. I think, and has not received any updates since 2021.
    Humax introduced the Android based Aura back in 2020 but have since abandoned any further improvements and bug fixing on this model. I have one and it works well if you ignore its little bugaboos.
    There are other PVRs on the market, Panasonic and Manhattan (new model out in July 2022).

When you set up the %000T did you use the auto tune search facility, tis can cause the box to tune in to two different transmitters resulting in duplicate channels which can sometimes cause problems with recording.
    Duplicate channels. can be found in the 800 range of your TV guide , have a look.
    If you find you have duplicate channels you will benefit from a manual channel search, tuning in to only one transmitter.
    If you need instructions on determining which transmitter you should tune to and doing a manual search
    for the multiplexes for that transmitter let me know.

| Fri 28 Apr 2023 1:00:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

Thanks VitiminD for your input, I purchased it in June last year I think. I spoke to Humax before buying & was advised thats what I would need to replace the Tivo box. I did have some issues from the start & I was advised about doing the manual tune which I did. I had some duplicated channels & doing the manual tune sorted that out. I am only about 10 miles from Sandy heath transmitter so made sure I was receiving all my channels from there.

As I said in my first post its always been a bit hit & miss, the Tivo box from Virgin never missed & its a shame I cant get hold of something similar as it was so reliable.

I do get pretty annoyed with stuff thats unreliable, when I do get chance to sit down with the Mrs & have a telly night only to find half the stuff is missing or the recordings are broken in some way (but sometimes they still work).

| Fri 28 Apr 2023 11:14:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Blue.boy - 1 hour ago  » 
    As I said in my first post its always been a bit hit & miss, the Tivo box from Virgin never missed & its a shame I cant get hold of something similar

Next time you get a recording that fails please could you post the details here (time and date, channel, HD or SD, programme name) so that we can see if there is anything that might indicate the cause of the problem.

| Fri 28 Apr 2023 13:04:48 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blue.boy

Hi Martin I can do that no problem.

| Fri 28 Apr 2023 13:25:17 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Blue.boy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Martin I can do that no problem.

Thank you.

| Fri 28 Apr 2023 15:02:10 #10 |