My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax 5000t loses words

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dana

Hi just registered for help with recently purchased Humax 5000t sound problems. Initially had occasional freezing of picture and sound, latterly picture OK but sound still skipping but now not just a split second but a couple of words at a time. Been in touch with customer support at Humax and am jumping through hoops re-tuning manually as they say it's because I am on edge of area of possibly 3 transmitters. However, signal strength when it happens is usually 88 to 92%. I never had problems of this type before with YouView box nor basic set top box (Bush). Can anyone shed light on what might be happening and is it fixable or a faulty box? There is already a signal booster on the aerial.

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 16:39:21 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dana - 43 mins ago  » 
    Initially had occasional freezing of picture and sound, latterly picture OK but sound still skipping but now not just a split second but a couple of words at a time. Can anyone shed light on what might be happening and is it fixable or a faulty box? There is already a signal booster on the aerial.

The first thing to do would be to try temporarily removing or bypassing the signal booster. Signal strength can be too high and saturate tuners. I would say a signal strenth no higher than 80% is ideal. If it isn't possible to carry out a test then inserting a variable attenuator into the aerial feed to the Humax might help. The other possibility that comes to mind is an incompatibility between the Humax and TV. There is a fairly well known issue with the Humax HDR-FOX T2 and certain models of LG TVs that causes sound blips so there just might be an issue with the FVP but I don't remember anybody reporting it here. Certainly the FVP is fine with my LG TV but the HDR_FOX T2 wasn't. What make and model is your TV?

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 17:33:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dana

I've been reading up on the Humax and was wondering if that could be something to do with it. Will give it a go. But why wouldn't the customer service people suggest that? instead of making me do manual re-rune to get info on channel strengths. I've repeatedly told them the signal strength is high 80% to low 90% when words get skipped. Thanks for prompt reply. The TV is an elderly Phillips (French, probably over 10 yrs old) works fine with a UK tuner/box except the volume is stuck at 60

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 17:52:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dana

It didn't work - the end of the cable from the booster is not compatible with the socket in the back of the PVR.

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 17:57:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dana - 55 mins ago  » 
    It didn't work - the end of the cable from the booster is not compatible with the socket in the back of the PVR.

I should be possible to get an adapter but can you tell us what sort of plug is on the end of the cable see https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/guide-to-tv-aerial-sat-connectors-adapters-plugs

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 18:54:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dana - 1 hour ago  » 
    Will give it a go. But why wouldn't the customer service people suggest that? instead of making me do manual re-rune to get info on channel strengths. I've repeatedly told them the signal strength is high 80% to low 90% when words get skipped.

They may not share the view that too strong a signal strength can cause problems but experience on this and other forums is that it can (but there is no certainty that it is the cause of your problems which is why I suggested an experiment).

The TV is an elderly Phillips (French, probably over 10 yrs old) works fine with a UK tuner/box except the volume is stuck at 60

An uncommon (in the UK) TV makes it unlikely that anybody here will know if it could be incompatible.

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 18:59:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dana

Looks like a screw on F connector or F plug but the outer ring is exactly the same size as the outer ring on the back of the box so it won't push in. The middle wire is solid - does that make it a male connector? It actually fell apart as I fiddled with it so I tried a bit of DIY with one off an old cable that does fit the box but it didn't let any signal through - too loose I think (off a thicker cable). Is the PVR compatible with LG TV? I've got one of those and could try use it a as test. If I switch TVs will I need to do any re-tune or resets?

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 23:33:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dana - 14 mins ago  » 
    Looks like a screw on F connector or F plug but the outer ring is exactly the same size as the outer ring on the back of the box so it won't push in. The middle wire is solid - does that make it a male connector?

If the diameter is the same as the input socket on the Humax then I would guess it is a female IEC plug ( think I would call it Belling socket). A short length of aerial cable with male IEC plugs would enable you to do what you want. However I suggest you look at your second option first.

Is the PVR compatible with LG TV? I've got one of those and could try use it a as test. If I switch TVs will I need to do any re-tune or resets?

If the Humax is setup correctly then you shouldn't need to do anything other than connect the TV. I don't recollect any reports of problems with the combination of an FVP and a recent LG TV. I suggest you try this test first and report back,

| Mon 8 Jun 2020 23:59:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dana

The Phillips TV is a 26PFL3606H/12 no longer manufatured. The LG TV is LG32LH3000 currently connected and working. Will watch it tonight to see if loses sound at any point. Also looking into checking out my aerial - the cable could do with replacing and maybe the signal booster will become redundant.

| Tue 9 Jun 2020 12:12:04 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dana

Just found out that that the booster is on the aerial and the box in the room is the power supply. So can't bypass the booster. The aerial is pointing at Sutton Coldfield transmitter. Probably will need to keep a booster because of where I live. The LG is working ok, may have had a couple of blips last night but not obvious so will check again tonight.

| Wed 10 Jun 2020 10:50:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.