My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura. USB3 socket

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

eugene

Has anyone got a drive plugged into the USB3 or the USB2 socket? Every time I do it a message comes on the screen to say that the drive is corrupted. I have tried three different ones with the same result.

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 11:03:04 #1 |
  2. Mars

Mars

special member

eugene - 16 mins ago  » 
    Has anyone got a drive plugged into the USB3 or the USB2 socket? Every time I do it a message comes on the screen to say that the drive is corrupted. I have tried three different ones with the same result.

Are these NTFS drives? Android and the Aura use FAT32.

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 11:21:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

eugene

Thank you, Mars, My Windows 10 computer formats them as NTFS. I thought this was standard? I thought FAT32 was the old standard?

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 12:19:53 #3 |
  4. Mars

Mars

special member

eugene - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you, Mars, My Windows 10 computer formats them as NTFS. I thought this was standard? I thought FAT32 was the old standard?

That is true for Windows, but not for Android. There are apps that claim to allow Android devices to use NTFS, which you should be able to find by searching for 'NTFS' in Get More Apps (I have never tried any such app), or just use FAT32.

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 13:35:05 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Do we know if Aura supports both MBR and GPT partitioning schemes?

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 15:31:35 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 

eugene - 1 hour ago  » 

That is true for Windows, but not for Android. There are apps that claim to allow Android devices to use NTFS, which you should be able to find by searching for 'NTFS' in Get More Apps (I have never tried any such app), or just use FAT32.

NTFS is a microsoft licenced File System . It has a maximum filesize of 1 byte less than 4MB. The same issue affect X Box users

Windows can only format relatively small partitions.

Easiest way to format a large FAT 32 disk is

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/smartdisk-fat32-format-utility-tool.html

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 15:34:34 #6 |
  7. Mars

Mars

special member

grahamlthompson - 26 mins ago  » 

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 

eugene - 1 hour ago  » 

NTFS is a microsoft licenced File System . It has a maximum filesize of 1 byte less than 4MB. The same issue affect X Box users
    https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/smartdisk-fat32-format-utility-tool.html

If this was true then no one using Windows 10 would be able to use a file larger than 4MB! FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB, but the maximum file size for NTFS is larger than the size of any existing HDD.

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 16:04:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Mars - 43 mins ago  » 
    the maximum file size for NTFS is larger than the size of any existing HDD.

The maximum file size for NTFS depends on the cluster size; with 4KB clusters the maximum file size is 16TB; with 2048KB clusters it is 8 petabytes (8000 TB).

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 16:51:41 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

eugene

Thank you, Mars.

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 18:42:24 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mars - 6 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 26 mins ago  » 

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 

eugene - 1 hour ago  » 

If this was true then no one using Windows 10 would be able to use a file larger than 4GB! FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB, but the maximum file size for NTFS is larger than the size of any existing HDD.

I know but HD bitrates and the latest H264/AVC encoders and stat muxing mean that even the longest movies will be smaller than this. Average bitrates on say BBC1-HD are less than the best SD channels of a few years ago.

Even a HD transmission of Gone With The Wind will fit. AFAiK the longest movie so far produced.

USB 3.0 is way faster than anything required for UHD streaming with even Disney+ with atmos.

Anyone who thinks a SSD will help is deluded. It will reduce noise and power consumption a little but otherwise have no effect. A standard low speed sata drive has More than enough speed to deliver flawless recording for any multituner box (including 4K) .

The processor uses interrupts to process things like USB transfers to ensure that the main pvr capabilities like recording and playback are flawless while processing USB functions. Stealing clock cycles when the cpu allows.

As it happens the G2 boxes can use NTFS drives.

| Sat 21 Nov 2020 22:53:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.