Humax HDR 1100s and 4k Tv

(29 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 59 mins ago  » 

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 
    Many thanks guys for your comments. Most helpful.

Which LG TV ?
    In summary it appears that this 4K OLED purchase would be an excellent upgrade both for sound and picture.
    Also longer term it would help to future proof the set when 4k transmissions become fully available.
    I do understand that when not fed with a 4k signal much of the benefit of a 4k set would be lost but as many of the top priced set are 4k anyway then its just part of the deal.
    Thanks to all for your replies

Even just using the TV for audio is impressive considering the very thin screen. The TV is thicker at the back at the botton to accomodate the speakers including the upfiring speakers required to reproduce Dolby Atmos audio.

I find the audio from the LGs internal speakers a bit thin when compared to my Sonos Playbar. Having said that, if all you’ve experienced are the internal speakers then they are passable.

| Fri 3 Jan 2020 21:24:51 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 secs ago  » 

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 
    Which LG TV ?
    In summary it appears that this 4K OLED purchase would be an excellent upgrade both for sound and picture.
    Also longer term it would help to future proof the set when 4k transmissions become fully available.
    I do understand that when not fed with a 4k signal much of the benefit of a 4k set would be lost but as many of the top priced set are 4k anyway then its just part of the deal.

Even just using the TV for audio is impressive considering the very thin screen. The TV is thicker at the back at the botton to accomodate the speakers including the upfiring speakers required to reproduce Dolby Atmos audio.

I find the audio from the LGs internal speakers a bit thin when compared to my Sonos Playbar. Having said that, if all you’ve experienced are the internal speakers then they are passable.

Which LG TV ?

| Fri 3 Jan 2020 21:25:24 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 hours ago  » 

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 
    Which LG TV ?

Which LG TV ?

49SK810 Super UHD LCD. The internal components are the same as the OLEDS they differ only in the display panels.

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 13:44:08 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 33 mins ago  » 

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 
    Which LG TV ?

Which LG TV ?

49SK810 Super UHD LCD. The internal components are the same as the OLEDS they differ only in the display panels.

So how are you able to comment on the audio quality of the TV audio ? My comments were based on a 2019 C9 LG OLED that comes with built in atmos speakers.

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 14:19:14 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 33 mins ago  » 

Faust - 32 mins ago  » 

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 
    Which LG TV ?

Which LG TV ?

So how are you able to comment on the audio quality of the TV audio ? My comments were based on a 2019 C9 LG OLED that comes with built in atmos speakers.

Because Graham I have auditioned one in Richer Sounds audio rooms. The assistant said to me without any prompting from me that the speakers whilst not bad would be no match for a Sonos Playbar - he wasn't wrong.

The assistant did connect both a Playbar and the Sonos Beam to let me judge for myself.

This is what Expert Reviews had to say about the audio on the C9 - Despite the TV's thin chassis, the C9's sound quality is better than many televisions we've tested thanks to some clever tuning. It kicks out some surprisingly decent bass. If you’re thinking of skimping on a soundbar though, don’t – the images produced by a TV of this calibre deserve to be accompanied by equally refined audio.

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 16:07:36 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tpost

Hi Graham and Faust. Your discussion is most helpful
    I am probably going for the Panasonic TX-55GZ2000B (2019) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV,
    This has Dolby Atmos and a speaker output of 140W
    This is one of the major plus points for my decision and should supply excellent quality and much more volume than normally required (hopefully) so therefore no need to purchase a soundbar.
    Lets hope i'm right!

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 17:05:54 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I’m not aware of any flat panel TV that wouldn’t benefit from the addition of an external sound source. That of course is just my opinion of course.

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 17:53:23 #17 |
  8. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

Must admit, my new LG 55"Oled B9 sounds very good straight from the box (Dolby Atmos etc), but my Denon soundbar & sub certainly adds to a movie.

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 18:02:09 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tpost

I can understand how a soundbar and sub would help particularly as movie sound reproduction is usually pretty poor.
    Fortunately I can feed through my amp and speakers to boost if needed.
    Anyone heard more about the Humax replacement satellite boxes in the near future?

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 18:18:43 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Tpost - 2 hours ago  » ...Anyone heard more about the Humax replacement satellite boxes in the near future?

Contract changed from Humax to Arris in 2018. Nothing public as yet.

https://www.arris.com/products/

| Sat 4 Jan 2020 20:42:39 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.