My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Humax HDR 1100s and 4k Tv

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tpost

I am seriously considering buying a 4k tv to replace my old plasma which is now 11 yrs old.
    As the 1100s in quite old as well is it likely that it will negate the true value of a 4KTV?
    I know the Humax will be replaced by another make of box sometime sooner or later!
    Thanks for your thoughts

| Tue 31 Dec 2019 19:17:48 #1 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

Anything will negate the true value of a 4k TV unless you feed it with a 4k source. And Sat stuff ain't 4k.

| Tue 31 Dec 2019 19:21:28 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have three Humax Full-HD - Recorders. I had the same misgivings.

I bought a 2019 55" LGC9 OLED C9 to replace a high end Panasonic full-HD-TV.

Trev is wrong.

All of my Humax boxes (and surprisingly my oldest box a Foxsat-HDR), look great providing you use a HD source. (Which found the same).

The Foxsat in particular looks amazing compared to to the soft pictures it normally delivers.

If you don't have a seperate AV receiver even the audio from the TV is very good and includes native support for 3D Dolby Atmos content.

This TV comes with Netflix, Amazon Prime and You Tube and the latter offer 4K content for free.

Iplayer has 4K content for free using the HLG ( Hybrid Log Gamma) HDr content designed for streaming that looks amazing ( One Planet 7 Worlds in 4K).

Add a 4K Firestick to the TV and if you have Full-HD content available on a PC add the Free Plex Media server to both it will play back content at the native frame rate eliminating the jerky playback from Netflix. This also works with the built in Amazon prime content.

Even native Full-HD content retains the black level details missing from some content first broadcast in Full-HD.

Even better Blu-ray-HD content looks amazing - like a whole new library.

Add a high end Panasonic UHD DMP-UB900 with a AV receiver even your CD collection is transformed and your existing Blu-ray disks, because this player can recode 48Khz CD sources to HD 197Khz.

| Wed 1 Jan 2020 0:01:29 #3 |
  4. Trev

Trev

special member

What exactly was so wrong that you felt that you had to make the bald statement "Trev is wrong"?
    Nothing that you subsequently said negated my statement.

I have three 4kTVs. They all look amazing when fed with a 4k source as I said above. They also don't look too shabby on 1080 or even SD TV providing that you don't get too close with the latter.

OP was asking about a HD1100S in conjunction with his 4kTV. The 1100 max res is 1080i which will not show off his TV to its best, as I said above.

I suspect that the Foxsat pic looks better because the LG has better video processing than your previous sets.

| Wed 1 Jan 2020 0:29:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have to say my LG which is 4K but LCD does do an amazing job with HD 4K or as you say Trev SD provided you sit back somewhat. Best TV I've bought in years and the price was quite low in last years January sales - (2019).

| Wed 1 Jan 2020 0:53:35 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 15 hours ago  » 
    What exactly was so wrong that you felt that you had to make the bald statement "Trev is wrong"?
    Nothing that you subsequently said negated my statement.
    I have three 4kTVs. They all look amazing when fed with a 4k source as I said above. They also don't look too shabby on 1080 or even SD TV providing that you don't get too close with the latter.
    OP was asking about a HD1100S in conjunction with his 4kTV. The 1100 max res is 1080i which will not show off his TV to its best, as I said above.
    I suspect that the Foxsat pic looks better because the LG has better video processing than your previous sets.

Not the answer, with the same 1080p TV recordings streamed to a G2 from the Foxsat-HDR box looked great. Recordings viewed directly looked not so good.

But now recordings streamed direct to G2 box still look great - AV receiver deinterlaces and scales to 2160P 50. Content viewed directly with TV de-interlacing and scaling to 2160P also looks great.

HD monochrome also looks great. No colour cast - same content viewed on Kitchen Full-HD has a slight colur cast. So not only are blacks superb on a oled grey scale images are pure grey.

| Wed 1 Jan 2020 16:26:37 #6 |
  7. foxleybob

foxleybob

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    I have to say my LG which is 4K but LCD does do an amazing job with HD 4K or as you say Trev SD provided you sit back somewhat. Best TV I've bought in years and the price was quite low in last years January sales - (2019).

Yes.
    My New 55" LG OLED looks quite decent with my (also new-ish) Humax 1100s.
    If only the humax would speed up when selecting a prog

| Thu 2 Jan 2020 15:30:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tpost

Many thanks guys for your comments. Most helpful.
    In summary it appears that this 4K OLED purchase would be an excellent upgrade both for sound and picture.
    Also longer term it would help to future proof the set when 4k transmissions become fully available.
    I do understand that when not fed with a 4k signal much of the benefit of a 4k set would be lost but as many of the top priced set are 4k anyway then its just part of the deal.
    Thanks to all for your replies

| Fri 3 Jan 2020 15:17:16 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 
    In summary it appears that this 4K OLED purchase would be an excellent upgrade both for sound and picture.
    Also longer term it would help to future proof the set when 4k transmissions become fully available.
    I do understand that when not fed with a 4k signal much of the benefit of a 4k set would be lost but as many of the top priced set are 4k anyway then its just part of the deal.

Your 4K TV has the equivalent pixel wise of 4 full-HD TV's stacked two wide and two deep.

To get a full 16:9 picture from a Full-HD source with 1920 x 1080 pixels then the TV has to quadruple the individual pixel data in a process known as scaling.

Basically by comparing the adjacent pixels and guessing what a full 4K source would have had in the the full 2160p source.

So it's true that to see the full quality you need a 4K source and for the ultimate quality a source with HDR (high dynamic range). HDR comes in various flavours. BBC iplayer uses HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) for streamed UHD-HDR quality.

OLEDS though have an advantage over back lit cheaper 4K Tv's in that there is no bleed from the backlight producing true blacks. Note the comments re-image re-tention though. If you intend to leave a static image on the screen for a while simply turn off the TV until you wish to continue watching. Do not turn off the power at the mains. In sby the TV has routines to avoid image retention.

The 2019 LG oleds have HLG capability, and iplayer in 4K HDR looks stunning.

For the max experience you need a high end high power Home cinema AV setup with 3D Dolby Atmos speakers paired to a 4K Bluray player like my Panasonic one.

Add a 4K-HDR blu-ray disk the picture and audio is amazing.

However with suitable settings I can say the pictures from my Full-HD Humax sources have never looked better.

Even just using the TV for audio is impressive considering the very thin screen. The TV is thicker at the back at the botton to accomodate the speakers including the upfiring speakers required to reproduce Dolby Atmos audio.

| Fri 3 Jan 2020 19:47:55 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 59 mins ago  » 

Tpost - 4 hours ago  » 

Even just using the TV for audio is impressive considering the very thin screen. The TV is thicker at the back at the botton to accomodate the speakers including the upfiring speakers required to reproduce Dolby Atmos audio.

I find the audio from the LGs internal speakers a bit thin when compared to my Sonos Playbar. Having said that, if all you’ve experienced are the internal speakers then they are passable.

| Fri 3 Jan 2020 20:51:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.