My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Humax hdr 1100s freezing. Please help

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tamsyn

Hiya
    I have a humax hdr 1100s for less than six months and I have had issues with the thing which are exactly the same as the vintage humax I replaced.

The issue
    At random points, the humax freezes. the remote is unable to stop playback, change channel or or do anything. In short the whole system freezes. Further, the tv also freezes and I have no control over the remote for the tv or the remote for the humax.
    The only way to get control is to yank the power cable out of the box and wait up to two hours.

Why is this happening and what can I do to prevent it?

Further information that you are likely to ask:
    The humax is switched on at around 8am and is used for an hour, usually replaying something on the pvr, with fast forwarding over commercials. It is switched off via remote around 9am.
    It is turned on again 11-2pm then off
    It is turned on again for up to two hours 6-8pm
    It is turned on again for up to two hours 10.30 -12.30 all with much fast forwarding over the commercials.
    It is switched off overnight via remote but is on standby.

When it freezes, I can do nothing with the remote. Nothing responds. Further, the tv remote does not work to return the tv to tv status.
    I take out the batteries from the humax remote, then pull out the power cable at the back of the machine. I then press HOME and '0' on the remote. After this I can get control of the seperate tv remote.
    After two hours, I plug it back into the power and the humax works perfectly.

This issue happens around once a week.

The remote for humax and the tv are seperate and not paired.
    It is currently with a sony bravia tv but this happened when we had the panasonic tv.
    I have changed the batteries on the remote.
    Hdmi cec is turned off
    Tv is on correct source for humax when in operation.
    I follow the same process each time i turn on to view - tv on using tv remote, watch tv for a few mins, press on button on humax remote, wait for it to boot up and auto change the channel, then watch humax.
    Humax is on standby overnight.

I would like to know how I can stop this happening as it is very annoying and if I have to yank out the cable, anything I had scheduled to record now will not record.

thanks

| Wed 30 Jan 2019 16:35:43 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Can you post details of signal strength and quality (the latter is more important) on main watched channels on both tuners.

I have had problems with corrupt epg data causing a crash is very bad weather.

"When it freezes, I can do nothing with the remote"
    Are you sure? Some of the keys are processed (I believe) by interrupts) try Volume and Standby.

"When it freezes, I can do nothing with the remote. Nothing responds. Further, the tv remote does not work to return the tv to tv status"

Very unusual, do the other TV buttons work?
    Is the unit connected to the internet?

| Wed 30 Jan 2019 17:21:41 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Possible cause is a rogue source of infra red. Is your TV led backlit or CCFL ? Does the TV brightness control still work ?

| Wed 30 Jan 2019 17:28:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

navi

Mine has started to do this now also. Currently it was set to record at 9PM and was in standby. The disk is spinning but the box will not turn on and there is no recoding symbol. I'll have to plug it out to recover.

It also happens when the box is on. The screen becomes pixelated then the box freezes while random colours flash on the screen before it goes blank. Again power must be removed to recover.

Signal on both inputs is fine. I'm unsure if it has to do with the latest software update, however it never happened before the update.

I also had issues with the box crashing after deleting multiple episodes of series and this freezing issue seemed to begin after these crashes.

The box is now totally unreliable and unusable.

| Mon 11 Feb 2019 22:17:58 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Many have seen the occasional (and non repeatable) bug re deleting series. It seem to relate to the number of episodes.

The not waking for a recording could be a HDMI-CEC related problem, suggest you try disabling it on your TV.

The freezing while on problem. The pixilation could well indicate a sudden drop in signal quality to around 30-35%. A previous post eventually tracked it down to birds sitting on the LNB arm, near the LNB causing garbage EPG data. Grease solved the problem. Check the cable F-connectors for a tight fit and good well made connections so a good circuit is made.

If all else fails try a reset to default.

| Tue 12 Feb 2019 14:14:32 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

navi

REPASSAC - 9 hours ago  » 
    Many have seen the occasional (and non repeatable) bug re deleting series. It seem to relate to the number of episodes.
    The not waking for a recording could be a HDMI-CEC related problem, suggest you try disabling it on your TV.
    The freezing while on problem. The pixilation could well indicate a sudden drop in signal quality to around 30-35%. A previous post eventually tracked it down to birds sitting on the LNB arm, near the LNB causing garbage EPG data. Grease solved the problem. Check the cable F-connectors for a tight fit and good well made connections so a good circuit is made.
    If all else fails try a reset to default.

Thanks for the advice however none of applies in my case. The box had been working fine for the previous six years, even though it would not have been used daily. I fear that the issue is something more serious. Factory reset has not rectified it so I guess my last options are disk format then maybe disk replacement if I can find a spare.

| Tue 12 Feb 2019 23:44:51 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It could well be a disk problem, the timeslip buffer is assumed to be, as in other models, in a fixed position on the disk.

This corruption can be logical (fixable with a reformat) or physical (not fixable unless you use linux tools to make the sector(s) as bad). My guess, due to the pixilation, would be physical.

As a test you could power down the unit for 5 mins and disconnect the hard disk SATA and power connectors (either end).
    If the unit stops freezing then replace the disk.

| Wed 13 Feb 2019 7:40:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

navi

I took out the disk to test it. I tried to boot the Humax with no disk, no response. Looked at the SMART details on the disk, all fine no sectors reallocated or pending. Only 7000 hours on it. Ran Seagate's SeaTools anway. Did several tests, all passed. Put disk back into Humax, again box is completely dead. No red LED, nothing.

I tested power supply with meter and got 12v DC as expected. I'd like to try another PSU but for reasons known only to themselves Humax have chosen a DC tip that hardly any other 12v supply uses. I have multiple 12v supplies here and none fit. I am loathe to buy another PSU on the off chance it fixes the issue. Completely peed off.

| Thu 14 Feb 2019 22:55:27 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Very strange it did not power on without the disk, which it is designed to do.

However 6 years is not a bad life for a PVR or indeed any computer, which is just what a PVR is.

The question is what to do now with the G3 model only scheduled for later this year.

| Fri 15 Feb 2019 7:59:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

navi

I don't think I'm going to buy another Humax being honest. It'll be an Enigma2, nothing or wait for the promised G3. Thanks again for the advice!

| Sat 16 Feb 2019 0:57:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.