My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax products and recording after Aura

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

We know the 5000t and Aura appears to have stalled, but, really, is there any need for a recorder now that streaming has become "mainstream" excuse the pun.
    From a manufacturer's point of view, I'd expect them to be looking at the market and thinking that there will be reduced demand. Hard drives are no longer the commodity, and may soon become difficult to find, and I'm not sure ssd is reliable enough for long term overwriting with frequent recordings and deletions.
    Personally, I still like to find programmes to record and watch at my leisure, instead of trying to find stuff of streaming services. But if I'm one of the few with that need there's no real demand, and manufacturers won't get a return on their investment. In addition, streaming services are all about tracking what you're watching, and the wife hates getting suggestions to watch more westerns. Lol
    I'm hoping the next Manhattan T4 coming soon will give me hope, but I don't see much coming from Humax. I'd like to be proved wrong on Humax. What do you think?

| Sun 30 Apr 2023 12:28:56 #1 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Streaming is very useful, I have a ROKU device which is excellent but I would not want to lose my recording device or not be able to buy a replacement in the future. Recordings are there for me to watch what I want when I want and not be told I have to 'log in' again because I've not been on a particular streaming channel for a while.

| Sun 30 Apr 2023 13:47:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

poshsimon - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm not sure ssd is reliable enough for long term overwriting with frequent recordings and deletions.

Large capacity, good quality SSDs are, according to my arithmetic, good enough for the average users requirements. They don't offer much advantage in a PVR but the prices of SSDs continue to drop.

Personally, I still like to find programmes to record and watch at my leisure, instead of trying to find stuff of streaming services.

Me too.

I'm hoping the next Manhattan T4 coming soon will give me hope, but I don't see much coming from Humax. I'd like to be proved wrong on Humax. What do you think?

I look forward to seeing how the Mahattan T4-R stacks up when it arrives. It seems to me that at a corporate level, PVR development is nowhere near the top of the priorities for Humax. I still think it is a shame that the Aura was not given a bit more development to fix some of the more obvious bugs which wouldn't have cost a fortune and would have improved the reputation of the Aura.

| Sun 30 Apr 2023 14:25:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

Biggles, I also use a streaming device other than the 5000t I own. My TV is 14 years old and still working fine, so I do need additional boxes and devices.

Large capacity, good quality SSDs are, according to my arithmetic, good enough for the average users requirements. They don't offer much advantage in a PVR but the prices of SSDs continue to drop.

In my practical experience, the expensive, but quality SSDs, are fine, but they are cost prohibitive, compared to the mature technology of a hard drive. Yes, they are coming down in price, but aren't yet there, IMHO.

Will we see an SSD-based recorder? Or is the day of the PVR coming to an end?

| Sun 30 Apr 2023 20:39:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

poshsimon - 1 hour ago  » 
    In my practical experience, the expensive, but quality SSDs, are fine, but they are cost prohibitive, compared to the mature technology of a hard drive. Yes, they are coming down in price, but aren't yet there, IMHO.

Currently you can buy a 2TB Samsung Evo 870 for £99.99 in Currys which strikes me as pretty reasonable compared to a rotating drive of the same capacity; a bit more expensive but I wouldn't say prohibitive.

| Sun 30 Apr 2023 22:12:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ParksidePeter

I think that the recent investment in the Aura app is indicative of development in the Aura line, an Aura Mk II. Otherwise, why spend on the app if the intention is to abandon the product.

| Tue 2 May 2023 18:04:52 #6 |
  7. davidrew

davidrew

special member

The Aura has a good underlying hardware specification that should support updated features.

The main upcoming Freeview changes, which were approved in 2021, are IP-Fallback (which is effectively Live-TV streaming) and Channel List Management (CLM), both of which I would expect will need a firmware and/or software update.

According to reports the new Manhattan T4 range is going to support CLM out of the box, and apparently, they are not abandoning the T3 range for future functionality updates either.

Humax should take note the competition is not standing still.

| Wed 3 May 2023 10:06:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

I've been digging around on this and I can't see many options.
    No box seems to be free of problems: Manhattan T3R appears to be flaky, with lots of complaints, and plenty of support issues. Sounds like Humax, too. I don't have confidence the T4R will be a game changer.

To me, if we want a DVR, we have either Humax or Manhattan. We then have to decide which one is the least buggy.

Sigh!

| Tue 16 May 2023 16:42:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

poshsimon - 27 mins ago  » 
    Manhattan T3R appears to be flaky, with lots of complaints, and plenty of support issues.

My understanding is that when when the T3R first came out it did have issues but Manhattan put a lot of effort into fixing most of them. Have you looked at the dates of the complaints?

I don't have confidence the T4R will be a game changer.

Fair enough, new boxes often have initial problems so give it a few months after launch and see what the opinions of the users are.

| Tue 16 May 2023 17:14:30 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

Yes, I've looked at the dates of these complaints of the T3R, and they are recent, but I always take them with a pinch of salt.

For me, I need a replacement for my 5000t which seems to have become unreliable.

| Tue 16 May 2023 20:24:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.