My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

IN/OUT of stand-by advice desired

(24 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Please forgive if this appears silly.

We have an oldish TV with both redundant analogue and digital. We used to turn both TV and PVR to stand-by when not required.
    Our usual sequence for waking both up was: tv button> power> pvr button> power, but if the timer clock was showing: pvr button> power> tv button> power. We then selected “source” followed by “HDMI 1”, and finally pressed the pvr button to make media page etc functional. Convoluted but it seemed the only way for, who knows why. Was that all the result of having an analogue/digital TV?
    We have the same TV, and would like your views of the sequence to use to wake up both either when no recording is due soon /in course, or when one is. With no obvious sign (to us) that the 1100S (aged eyes) is awake it’s a problem.
    Comment and advice of any (polite ‘)) nature is welcome.

| Sat 26 Nov 2016 19:23:34 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

cerclebois - 34 minutes ago  » 
    Please forgive if this appears silly.
    We have an oldish TV with both redundant analogue and digital. We used to turn both TV and PVR to stand-by when not required.
    Our usual sequence for waking both up was: tv button> power> pvr button> power, but if the timer clock was showing: pvr button> power> tv button> power. We then selected “source” followed by “HDMI 1”, and finally pressed the pvr button to make media page etc functional. Convoluted but it seemed the only way for, who knows why. Was that all the result of having an analogue/digital TV?
    We have the same TV, and would like your views of the sequence to use to wake up both either when no recording is due soon /in course, or when one is. With no obvious sign (to us) that the 1100S (aged eyes) is awake it’s a problem.
    Comment and advice of any (polite ‘)) nature is welcome.

I would always power the TV on first so it is ready to receive the handshake from the PVR. Don't worry if it says no signal in the meantime, it will react to a signal.

| Sat 26 Nov 2016 20:00:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

so many possibilities depending upon how your equipment actually works.
    I'd be inclined to switch TV on first everytime. The TV should remember what source it was using before going into standby when you switch it back on.
    If this doesn't happen it's possible there may be a setting in the TV menu for a 'switch on' or default channel/source. Some older TV's would only let the default switch on channel be switched to the internal tuner channel numbers which obviously doesn't help here.
    If you have multiple devices, i.e. a DVD player, VCR etc. a universal remote control can be useful. I use a logitech harmony remote which can be programmed to switch things on/off or a sequence of commands. It's fairly complicated first time round to program, but well worth it. I'd imagine for a single TV and PVR it is very much overkill though.

Perhaps if you posted the exact model of your TV then someone who has the same can offer better advice

| Sat 26 Nov 2016 20:02:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Panasonic 32LXD85 from about 2008.

| Sat 26 Nov 2016 20:34:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I'm finding my way well now, and choosing operational preferences. A minor niggle is the sequence before the menu shows. Why do we need see two screens with the Freesat logo?

More pertinent is the matter of start ups. I get the impression that the acceptance angle remote to box is even narrower than with the Foxsat PVR, and have needed to stand very close to activate the box. Also, having succeeded that far, the handshake is capricious, so much so that I resort to removal and reinsertion of the HDMI cable in TV's HDMI 1 socket.

Could it be the PVR, elderly TV, ME?

Ps. HDMI lead is that suppled, though I note the predecessor for Foxsat was plated.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 12:06:19 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 52 minutes ago  » 
    I'm finding my way well now, and choosing operational preferences. A minor niggle is the sequence before the menu shows. Why do we need see two screens with the Freesat logo?
    More pertinent is the matter of start ups. I get the impression that the acceptance angle remote to box is even narrower than with the Foxsat PVR, and have needed to stand very close to activate the box. Also, having succeeded that far, the handshake is capricious, so much so that I resort to removal and reinsertion of the HDMI cable in TV's HDMI 1 socket.
    Could it be the PVR, elderly TV, ME?
    Ps. HDMI lead is that suppled, though I note the predecessor for Foxsat was plated.

Freesat annoyingly insists on booting to the home screen, pressing exit gets rid.

Treat yourself to a Harmony universal remote, my HDR1000S responds to my harmony with the remote pointing the other way to the box.

Try forcing a new HDMI handshake by selecting another input on the TV and back to the box. If you have CEC control enabled on your TV turn it off, or fit a cec removal adaptor to the HDMI cable.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 13:00:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

What is CEC control, please? I don't recall mention of it in the TV manual, assuming it would not be otherwise named in Pansonic literature. I'll re-read though!

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 13:33:29 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 14 minutes ago  » 
    What is CEC control, please? I don't recall mention of it in the TV manual, assuming it would not be otherwise named in Pansonic literature. I'll re-read though!

Most likely called Viera Link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

If no CEC avoid using HDMI1 in on the TV for the box.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 13:49:23 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

As Graham stated it will be 'Viera Link' and you should be able to toggle it in the TV's menu. i.e. if it was off try switching it on and vice-versa. Contrary to Graham's advice, I'd have viera-link switched off and use hdmi-1, however a lot of this is trial and error. I wouldn't worry about the quality of the hdmi lead unless you think it's been damaged in some way. If you had a previous FoxSat it really should have been as simply as swapping it over and setting up.

You definitely don't want to be constantly pluging/unpluging the hdmi lead. The hdmi socket isn't designed for this and the socket will fail over time.

My partner has a similar panasonic from a similar age. The use of which isn't logical. With her panasonic, the TV has to be tuned into the aerial signal before it will auto switch over to hdmi.
    i.e. the TV is switched on, it very briefly shows terrestial TV from its internal tuner and then auto switches over to hdmi. If the TV is not tuned or the aerial lead unplugged it will not switch over to hdmi automatically, it simply remains on a blank screen. I tried every permutation, it simply would not auto switch to hdmi without it first successfully checking its own internal tuner, which in our case was achieved by simply connecting the aerial fly lead back into the TV and retuning.
    If you only have a Satellite connection then this isn't possible and no easy way to test. The TV is on the latest software/firmware which hasn't changed for years. It'd be worthwhile checking the panasonic support to see if they have a newer software/firmware version for your model.

Unfortunately in the absence of another user with a 32LXD85 and a 1100S who may have been able to shed more light, you're left with a bit of trial and error.

I also came across this:
    https://turbofuture.com/home-theater-audio/Hotel-Mode-Panasonic-Televisions
    basically you should be able to force the TV to start up exactly how you want, but double check everything before making any changes.

let us know how you get on

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 14:33:07 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

On some Panasonic TV's HDMI1 has a auto select on HDMI1 based on port activity. The HDRxxxxS boxes power up the HDMI port for a short period when they wake from sby to make a recording. If you happen to be using the TV tuner at the time you lose your programme for a short period as the box switches to HDMI1 in, which is very annoying

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 14:44:35 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.