My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Intermitent sound problem

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jps71

Hi guys.

I have a intermitent sound problem that has developed with my hdr1000s.
    The easiest way to describe it is that voices etc take on a metallic scratchy sound.
    The problem occurs both on live tv and recording playback.
    I have changed the hdmi cable & cheked all other cables.
    The problem may not occur for days then will happen 10+ times in an evening.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be & how to resolve it.

Cheers Jim

| Fri 19 Sep 2014 20:38:40 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

tinny 'dalek' sound

Is this thread any help, turned out to be the TV needed a firmware update.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/audio-echo-dalek-sound

| Sat 20 Sep 2014 9:16:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jps71

Reffub - 2 hours ago  » 
    tinny 'dalek' sound
    Is this thread any help, turned out to be the TV needed a firmware update.
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/audio-echo-dalek-sound

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it sounds like it might be the same problem.
    I will see if there is an update for my tv.
    If there isn't though I have no idea as to how to resolve it.
    Fingers crossed

| Sat 20 Sep 2014 12:09:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jps71

Well there is no update available for my tv

Does any one know if it is possible to connect a sound bar to the hdr1000s for the sound & leave it connected to the tv by hdmi for the picture.
    Would this work ?

| Sat 20 Sep 2014 14:04:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

jps71 - 50 minutes ago  » 
    Does any one know if it is possible to connect a sound bar to the hdr1000s for the sound & leave it connected to the tv by hdmi for the picture.
    Would this work ?

Is the audio from the TV currently going into a soundbar?

If so, and if it's an analogue connection, maybe you can correct input sensitivity on the soundbar. My soundbar (Denon DHT-T100) has a switch for this. The manual says:

Input Sensitivity (Analog Input Only)
    The normal setting for this is “0 dB.” In rare cases a television’s analog audio output may be too strong. Should you hear distorted, harsh, or “buzzy” sound from DHT-T100 via its analog stereo input, adjust the rear panel Input Level switch if you continue to hear distortion.

I don't use the analogue input so have not had occasion to experiment with this sensitivity switch.

| Sat 20 Sep 2014 15:03:19 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

jps71 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Would this work ?

If the problem is with the TV then a soundbar should work, you could get a cheap one with an Optical input and but then you'd need to adjust the volume using the 1000s remote. Digital output will need to be set to Stereo (not multichannel) so you can adjust the volume on HD channels.

| Sat 20 Sep 2014 15:31:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

A decent sound bar can do wonders for TV sound; however the options are almost limitless and any advice would need more information from your end, i.e. stuff like make and model of TV, does it have ARC etc. etc. What sort of sound bar are you looking at, budget etc. etc.

All of this is a pretty pointless as the tinny sound problem hasn't been resolved.

You need to work out whether the dalek is coming from the Humax or the TV and again how you best do this depends on your setup. Can you plug headphones into the TV and is the sound the same, Does the TV's own tuner suffer the same dalek sound? Do other devices plugged in suffer the same problem? Have you changed hdmi inputs, have you tried a scart connection

The first thing I'd be checking is factory resetting, no format, the HDR and TV if possible
    If that doesn't help you need to work out whether it's the Humax or TV.

If it's the TV then a sound bar will make sense and again depending on the model, setup and your budget, the easiest solution would be to take a digital sound out from the TV and put that into a sound bar and just forget about the TV speakers.

If it's the Humax and a reset hasn't helped, try the digital sound out from the Humax if possible and this doesn't have the dalek sound then this may help choosing the right sound bar; otherwise test the analogue sound output from the Humax to see if that also has the dalek sound, if it does then it's looking like a fault on the Humax, which would surprise me

As you can see there are a few variables here that only you can answer.
    Depending on your setup and budget, yes you can plug the Humax into a suitable soundbar using the digital sound output and have hdmi going to the TV, you can have the Humax plugged via hdmi into a soundbar and hdmi cascaded to the TV, you can have the Humax plugged into the TV via hdmi and a digital sound out from the TV go into a soundbar, ARC gives you more options, you can have analogue going where ever you want... etc. etc.

I would factory reset the HDR, no format, and TV if possible, if that doesn't work, find out exactly where the problem is, once you know that and armed with your setup and budget the best solution can be found.

| Sat 20 Sep 2014 15:33:27 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jps71

Thanks for all the useful info guys.
    I will see if I can see which is making the noise the tv or humax.

| Mon 22 Sep 2014 5:32:36 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.