My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Internet failing to re-connect

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Every day when I try to access On demand on my FVP-4000T it fails to connect with the error message “Connect to Internet” it’s using a wireless connection, a power cycle fixes the problem.

I think the issue is caused by wireless router turning the wireless off over night as part of power saving, all my other devices reconnect to the wireless in the morning it’s just the Humax that fails to connect again. I do not want to change this setting on the router.

I called Humax support and they said it was an issue with my wireless router and were not very helpful, I also asked them about setting a static IP address they said it’s not possible.

Can anyone help with this issue?

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 15:11:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Why not go into the UI on your router and disable power saving on wifi - I suspect it will only be saving you pennies per year in any event. Pretty odd thing to do anyhow, I would prefer my devices suspending wifi when not being used rather than the router e.g. my phone does this.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 15:54:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Why not go into the UI on your router and disable power saving on wifi - I suspect it will only be saving you pennies per year in any event. Pretty odd thing to do anyhow, I would prefer my devices suspending wifi when not being used rather than the router e.g. my phone does this.

We don't want to do this as we currently have a teenage guest staying with us who would stay up all night playing online games, when he asked to disable it my wife asked me not to disable it as she was worried about him keeping us awake half the night. All my other devices can cope with this and reconnect in the morning so why can't the Humax.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:08:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Advocas - 10 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 3 minutes ago  » 

We don't want to do this as we currently have a teenage guest staying with us who would stay up all night playing online games, when he asked to disable it my wife asked me not to disable it as she was worried about him keeping us awake half the night. All my other devices can cope with this and reconnect in the morning so why can't the Humax.

A pair of homeplug adaptors may solve the problem.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:20:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Advocas - 1 hour ago  » ...I also asked them about setting a static IP address they said it’s not possible...

Have you tried setting a fixed addr in the router based on the MAC addr of your FVP. I don't use wireless on my HDR1000 (hard-wired ethernet) so not at all sure that will fix your problem, but worth a try.

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:21:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Pollensa1946 - 3 minutes ago  » 

Advocas - 1 hour ago  » ...I also asked them about setting a static IP address they said it’s not possible...

Have you tried setting a fixed addr in the router based on the MAC addr of your FVP. I don't use wireless on my HDR1000 (hard-wired ethernet) so not at all sure that will fix your problem, but worth a try.

I can try this where would I find the MAC address of the FVP?

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:29:45 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Advocas - 1 minute ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 3 minutes ago  » 

I can try this where would I find the MAC address of the FVP?

Sometimes on a label on the box. However if you turn the box on while viewing the router setup you should see it appear. It should also be shown in System Info - Network Settings

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 16:32:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

You can certainly set a fixed IP address on the LAN network as that's how my FVP-4000T is configured.

It seems strange that you can't go into wifi manual set up and turn off DHCP and set a manual address. However, you should be able to do it from the wifi router. There's usually an option for each device on the DHCP allocation table to "Retain this IP address for this device" type of thing.

Richard

| Mon 25 Jan 2016 18:05:37 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

RichardS-UK - 19 hours ago  » 
    You can certainly set a fixed IP address on the LAN network as that's how my FVP-4000T is configured.
    It seems strange that you can't go into wifi manual set up and turn off DHCP and set a manual address. However, you should be able to do it from the wifi router. There's usually an option for each device on the DHCP allocation table to "Retain this IP address for this device" type of thing.
    Richard

I tried a setting a fixed IP address in the router but it made no difference, the network was still disconnected this morning.

I had another look at setting a fixed IP for the Wireless, I went into LAN config and it showed my DHCP assigned address, I changed the setting from DHCP to manual and set the IP to a free IP address that isn't in my DHCP scope, then selected apply and it just showed connecting for about an hour until I cancelled it. I'm wondering if I could set this with a cable connected then disconnect and see if it would use the static address for wireless.

Is there a way to restart the FVP-4000T from either the remote or the buttons on the box rather than having to pull the power?

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 13:33:02 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Advocas - 1 hour ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 19 hours ago  » 
    Richard

I tried a setting a fixed IP address in the router but it made no difference, the network was still disconnected this morning.
    I had another look at setting a fixed IP for the Wireless, I went into LAN config and it showed my DHCP assigned address, I changed the setting from DHCP to manual and set the IP to a free IP address that isn't in my DHCP scope, then selected apply and it just showed connecting for about an hour until I cancelled it. I'm wondering if I could set this with a cable connected then disconnect and see if it would use the static address for wireless.
    Is there a way to restart the FVP-4000T from either the remote or the buttons on the box rather than having to pull the power?

I assume that when you went into LAN config that you didn't actually have a LAN cable plugged in? Obviously that is why it won't connect.

I just tried to set a fixed wifi IP address on my FVP-4000T and you are right, the wifi is DHCP only which is rather poor coding by Humax. I guess it's to make wifi "idiot proof" whereas with LAN they seem to assume a higher level of technical knowledge so they give LAN users more configuration options. In my view Humax are making another mistake here as they could just as easily have kept DHCP as the default but still given an "Advanced" wifi option.

A fixed address set using the LAN options is not retained if you then switch to wifi which is not surprising as starting the wifi connection generates a fresh call to the DHCP server.

There appears to be no power off option apart from pulling the mains.

There are some major issues with the current FVP-4000T firmware. Not only does your wifi connection not appear to re-connect when you turn the Humax on but neither will the SMB server nor the FTP server turn on and both have to be re-started manually every time the Humax is re-started.

Richard

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 15:44:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.