My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Internet failing to re-connect

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

RichardS-UK - 25 minutes ago  » 

Advocas - 1 hour ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 19 hours ago  » 
    You can certainly set a fixed IP address on the LAN network as that's how my FVP-4000T is configured.
    It seems strange that you can't go into wifi manual set up and turn off DHCP and set a manual address. However, you should be able to do it from the wifi router. There's usually an option for each device on the DHCP allocation table to "Retain this IP address for this device" type of thing.
    Richard

I tried a setting a fixed IP address in the router but it made no difference, the network was still disconnected this morning.
    I had another look at setting a fixed IP for the Wireless, I went into LAN config and it showed my DHCP assigned address, I changed the setting from DHCP to manual and set the IP to a free IP address that isn't in my DHCP scope, then selected apply and it just showed connecting for about an hour until I cancelled it. I'm wondering if I could set this with a cable connected then disconnect and see if it would use the static address for wireless.
    Is there a way to restart the FVP-4000T from either the remote or the buttons on the box rather than having to pull the power?

I assume that when you went into LAN config that you didn't actually have a LAN cable plugged in? Obviously that is why it won't connect.
    I just tried to set a fixed wifi IP address on my FVP-4000T and you are right, the wifi is DHCP only which is rather poor coding by Humax. I guess it's to make wifi "idiot proof" whereas with LAN they seem to assume a higher level of technical knowledge so they give LAN users more configuration options. In my view Humax are making another mistake here as they could just as easily have kept DHCP as the default but still given an "Advanced" wifi option.
    A fixed address set using the LAN options is not retained if you then switch to wifi which is not surprising as starting the wifi connection generates a fresh call to the DHCP server.
    There appears to be no power off option apart from pulling the mains.
    There are some major issues with the current FVP-4000T firmware. Not only does your wifi connection not appear to re-connect when you turn the Humax on but neither will the SMB server nor the FTP server turn on and both have to be re-started manually every time the Humax is re-started.
    Richard

Because I saw the Wifi IP address under LAN I presumed LAN was for both Wifi and Ethernet and not just for Ethernet as I would expect Wifi to be referred to as a LAN.

How do I restart the Samba server is it just a power cycle or is there a way to do it from the settings? (I gave up on Samba back in December when I found the SD recordings were still encrypted after copying but I will give it another go with Windows 10)

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 17:26:55 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Advocas - 31 minutes ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 25 minutes ago  » 

Advocas - 1 hour ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 19 hours ago  » 
    You can certainly set a fixed IP address on the LAN network as that's how my FVP-4000T is configured.
    It seems strange that you can't go into wifi manual set up and turn off DHCP and set a manual address. However, you should be able to do it from the wifi router. There's usually an option for each device on the DHCP allocation table to "Retain this IP address for this device" type of thing.
    Richard

I tried a setting a fixed IP address in the router but it made no difference, the network was still disconnected this morning.
    I had another look at setting a fixed IP for the Wireless, I went into LAN config and it showed my DHCP assigned address, I changed the setting from DHCP to manual and set the IP to a free IP address that isn't in my DHCP scope, then selected apply and it just showed connecting for about an hour until I cancelled it. I'm wondering if I could set this with a cable connected then disconnect and see if it would use the static address for wireless.
    Is there a way to restart the FVP-4000T from either the remote or the buttons on the box rather than having to pull the power?

I assume that when you went into LAN config that you didn't actually have a LAN cable plugged in? Obviously that is why it won't connect.
    I just tried to set a fixed wifi IP address on my FVP-4000T and you are right, the wifi is DHCP only which is rather poor coding by Humax. I guess it's to make wifi "idiot proof" whereas with LAN they seem to assume a higher level of technical knowledge so they give LAN users more configuration options. In my view Humax are making another mistake here as they could just as easily have kept DHCP as the default but still given an "Advanced" wifi option.
    A fixed address set using the LAN options is not retained if you then switch to wifi which is not surprising as starting the wifi connection generates a fresh call to the DHCP server.
    There appears to be no power off option apart from pulling the mains.
    There are some major issues with the current FVP-4000T firmware. Not only does your wifi connection not appear to re-connect when you turn the Humax on but neither will the SMB server nor the FTP server turn on and both have to be re-started manually every time the Humax is re-started.
    Richard

Because I saw the Wifi IP address under LAN I presumed LAN was for both Wifi and Ethernet and not just for Ethernet as I would expect Wifi to be referred to as a LAN.
    How do I restart the Samba server is it just a power cycle or is there a way to do it from the settings? (I gave up on Samba back in December when I found the SD recordings were still encrypted after copying but I will give it another go with Windows 10)

Just go into Setting and select No to Samba server and then Yes and it will re-start. The "My Contents" folder should then be network discovered in Win 10 "Computer" and you can open the "Recordings" folder.

You can play the SD recordings directly from the folder but it seems to copy them locally anyway first as part of the decryption process. WMP might need you to change the file suffix to .mpg depending upon which codecs you have installed. VLC will play them without a hitch.

Richard

| Tue 26 Jan 2016 18:03:27 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Last night after it had been running for a while I checked if the internet was connected by pressing the "On Demand" button, as usual it wasn't connected, then a few seconds later a message appeared "Connected to Internet" without me doing anything so there is a process for it to reconnect to the Internet without a reboot but it only works occasionally.

I was thinking of perhaps connecting the power via a timer and cycling the power every morning, is cycling the power every day likely to cause any issues like OS corruption?

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 12:36:40 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JulianAston

Hi, Just want to say I bought this PVR a couple of weeks ago and I am having exactly the same problem. A power cycle usually fixes but not always for me, In configure WLAN settings quite often it cannot see the WIFI without several tries and then it does with two signal bars usually, but from there you cannot connect without putting the password in again. As for trying to connect in the network status part this has only worked once for me when I had three bars of signal. I am wondering if the WIFI in the PVR is just a bit cheap and nasty. Would a WIFI booster put near the box work? My box is only about 6m and two walls from the router but struggles where everything else in the house has no problem.

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 13:25:05 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

JulianAston - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, Just want to say I bought this PVR a couple of weeks ago and I am having exactly the same problem. A power cycle usually fixes but not always for me, In configure WLAN settings quite often it cannot see the WIFI without several tries and then it does with two signal bars usually, but from there you cannot connect without putting the password in again. As for trying to connect in the network status part this has only worked once for me when I had three bars of signal. I am wondering if the WIFI in the PVR is just a bit cheap and nasty. Would a WIFI booster put near the box work? My box is only about 6m and two walls from the router but struggles where everything else in the house has no problem.

There have been other posts with a completely non-functioning wifi module so I think you are right and the wifi circuit is a weak point. If you cannot get a stable connection I would contact your retailer and request a replacement FVP-4000T.

I connect mine over Cat6 cable and it is rock solid but when I have tried wifi that also seemed to work fine so some are OK, some are dodgy.

Richard

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 13:53:48 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

JulianAston - 1 hour ago  » 

I don't think this is the same issue as I'm seeing as I have full bars on the signal strength and it always connects first time, my router is about 8m away with no walls in the way.

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 14:45:36 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

When the network is not working, "Network Connection status" shows "Local Area Network" and "Internet" as "Disconnected" then all other settings are blank except "Gateway Address" which shows the correct address. I think a static address would solve the issue but it seems that a static address on Wifi is not possible.

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 9:10:20 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JulianAston

Well please let me know if you find a solution. I may take mine back as suggested by Richards-UK but, of course, I already have lots of stuff recorded. This PVR is pushed by Humax as a wireless box I feel they should be doing something to solve this rather than leaving it to their Customers.

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 12:23:26 #18 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I do not a FVP 4000T but I have a couple of thoughts.

Firstly I would expect the MAC address of the ethernet socket and the WiFi to be different, which is the case with most hardware.

On the HDR-1xx0S mobels a manaual IP option only appears you turn off the routers DHCP server. That is the case with a LAN connection but it may not be true of WiFi.

It is well worth while downloading a free phone WiFi app which will show signals at the localtion you want. (Such as the Netgear Analtics app). It will also show signals from ajoining properties and your devices like chromecast.
    Avoiding WiFi channel contention might help.

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 13:04:17 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

REPASSAC - 7 hours ago  » 

On the HDR-1xx0S mobels a manaual IP option only appears you turn off the routers DHCP server. That is the case with a LAN connection but it may not be true of WiFi.

I'm amazed that Humax would configure any IP device in that way.

My BT router is configured as a DHCP server and must have around 20 IP devices connected to it, probably split 50:50 between wifi and Ethernet LAN. A half dozen of those 20 devices have fixed IP addresses set outside the DHCP range of the router. All the fixed addresses are set on the devices themselves.

I could not live with a client which insisted on DHCP being turned off on the router if a wanted to set a fixed address on that one device as that would mean me having to set a fixed address on the other 14 devices which I am happy to leave as DHCP clients.

Humax do seem to have some very left-field approaches to network coding.

Richard

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 20:45:07 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.