My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

IP Control 1100S

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

adh

Thanks for the advice. Will see what I can come up with.

| Wed 23 Sep 2015 10:50:01 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

adh

OK I received my new Humax HDR-1000S and have had a play with Wireshark on my MAC. I haven't dug out my old PC to run the MS Message Analyzer.

I started the Freesat app on my iPhone and then filtered only that in Wireshark. Have attached what I think is the relevant capture. Not really sure if this is any use at present but it appears to send the http request over the WAN interface rather than using the LAN. The IP address of the Humax is 192.168.1.13.

Any pointers on what to try next?

Attachments

1. Untitled.jpg (100.6 KB, 6 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sat 3 Oct 2015 13:11:13 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would look at the messages entering on the LAN and not just WiFi. Also I would look first at what happens after the app startup when basic remote keys are pressed which is likely to be simpler. Then move on to startup.

239.255.255.250:1900 is a multicast address see https://wiki.wireshark.org/SSDP it is trying to establish if a freetime PVR is present in the network.

Have you paired the HDR-1000S to enable remote record or not (so just a RC).

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 14:07:43 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

adh

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the box is paired for remote record.

I had another look at traffic over the LAN as well as wifi. I've managed to identify that the Humax is controlled by the app working solely over the WAN and it sends no traffic on the LAN. I confirmed this by disconnecting the internet connection to the router but leaving the LAN active. The app immediately loses connection and you cannot control the Humax by selecting a channel via the app. It appears the control protocol is routed over the WAN via IP 239.255.255.250 on port 1900. If either the box or the app doesn't have an active internet connection then control fails. The app also won't open if there's no internet connection.

However one twist is that if the app is already open and you disconnect the internet then you can control the box by touching the TV icon at the top of the app and swiping up and down to change channel. This must be using the LAN but I haven't investigated this further as yet. It seems the box control is mostly via the WAN but certain commands do get sent over the LAN if an internet connection becomes unavailable.

I'm a complete novice at this, which I'm sure is obvious!, but I'll keep investigating.

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 15:10:15 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

adh

With the internet disconnected here's the capture when sending a change channel signal from the app.

Attachments

1. Untitled.jpg (92.4 KB, 6 downloads) 8 years old
    | Sat 3 Oct 2015 15:35:43 #15 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

One comment 239.255.255.250 is not a WAN address or one that is valid on the WAN it is handled by a protocol - Just like the broadcast address 255.255.255.255 (Which means send this to everything on THIS network).

Looks like you got a reply to the discovery protocol in your last post.

My setup is as follows network connected by router with gateway pointing to ISP's Modem/router (Not used as router).
    I 'skipped' remote record/ logon on app install (Don't want the unit firingup every 15-20 mins day and night - don't think the disk will last long etc). So mine is just an RC.
    If you want to disable remote record then you do it on the HDR-1000S settings.

I needed to be internet connected to pass install but now it lets me launch and control without internet connection. This is possibly due to the apps EPG being up to date.

If it is using SSDP all the time to talk to the Humax then it is a pain. I do know that it does cope with more than one unit - so perhaps that's why.

Hope this does not give you a headache but:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_address

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 16:53:48 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

adh

Thanks, some bedtime reading I guess

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 17:17:01 #17 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

adh - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks, some bedtime reading I guess