My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Iplayer and Youtube cause machine to power off

(64 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

hubb - 17 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 2 hours ago  » 
    You do seem to have had many problems with the box. Is it still under warranty? If so, might it not be better to cut your losses, sacrifice the recordings, and get it replaced?

No it isn't under warranty.

It's only been about 14 months since purchase, hasn't it? (Going by your previous posts)

Did you not register for the second year of warranty?

| Tue 9 Feb 2016 14:15:12 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

I can't remember as I bought it from Currys.

| Tue 9 Feb 2016 17:52:42 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You would have been entitled to register for the 2nd year of warranty, regardless of who the retailer was. But you do have to actively register for it, so if you don't remember doing so, that suggests you didn't. Humax could tell you, if you ring them up and tell them the serial number and purchase date.

Of course, a replacement might not solve all the problems. I bought a HDR2000T a few years back - found it troublesome from the start, nothing major, just generally a bit flakey. I returned it, and I'm glad I did. Eventually, since I had a leftover Sky dish, I bought a HB1000S which I've been very pleased with.

| Tue 9 Feb 2016 19:29:04 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

It seems all things I buy (and I mean all things) end up with a problem in a million that hardly anyone has had. Camera lenses, MP3 player, PC, clothes.... it goes on

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 13:42:59 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

All the more reason to sign up for any free extended warranties that may be available at the time of purchase!

We're lucky to have excellent consumer rights in the UK. Whatever it is, check it out thoroughly when you get it, so you can return for full refund if you're not happy.

But of course some things don't show up within that time, or within the warranty period. Then the consumer rights are not so helpful, as the burden of proof shifts to the purchaser.

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 14:12:34 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

hubb - 3 hours ago  » 
    It seems all things I buy (and I mean all things) end up with a problem in a million that hardly anyone has had. Camera lenses, MP3 player, PC, clothes.... it goes on

Given what you say then I would be more inclined to buy from somewhere like John Lewis where you often get a two year warranty as standard plus great service or Richer Sounds again good service. The store where you purchased your product, I refer to it as 'the store of last resort' does not have a good track record with regards to CS - IMO.

| Wed 10 Feb 2016 16:58:01 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Humax have offered to replace the unit but I have no idea how to save all my recordings from the last 13 months. It would take an eternity to send 50% of the hard drive space over to a usb stick.

Also, i am still wondering why after a year it decides to start doing this. Couldn't this happen again with a new unit ?

| Wed 24 Feb 2016 22:24:07 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

hubb - 12 hours ago  » 
    Humax have offered to replace the unit but I have no idea how to save all my recordings from the last 13 months. It would take an eternity to send 50% of the hard drive space over to a usb stick.
    Also, i am still wondering why after a year it decides to start doing this. Couldn't this happen again with a new unit ?

It's a mechanical/electronic device - of course it could go wrong again, just like any other product you are ever likely to purchase.

With regards to saving your recordings, you could use a USB thumb drive or an external usb HDD. I have recently done this myself (note SD only). I set the process going then went to bed, when I got up in the morning all my programmes were copied. You could do this over a couple of nights or leave it running all day. Obviously if you use a thumb drive it will have to be large enough to accommodate what you record.

I have put mine on a thumb drive which is currently plugged into our TV so I can access the recordings whenever I want.

| Thu 25 Feb 2016 11:02:53 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Faust - 2 days ago  » 

hubb - 12 hours ago  » 

It's a mechanical/electronic device - of course it could go wrong again, just like any other product you are ever likely to purchase.
    With regards to saving your recordings, you could use a USB thumb drive or an external usb HDD. I have recently done this myself (note SD only). I set the process going then went to bed, when I got up in the morning all my programmes were copied. You could do this over a couple of nights or leave it running all day. Obviously if you use a thumb drive it will have to be large enough to accommodate what you record.
    I have put mine on a thumb drive which is currently plugged into our TV so I can access the recordings whenever I want.

Thanks. I have now purchased a Samsung 1TB USB drive and they are going accross as I write When the TV portal flips the machine off it also affects the copying across to thew drive process and I have to set it all again. A real pain in the backside that is.

Would it be worth doing a factory reset and reformat the drive when everything is backed up just in case ?

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 13:24:44 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

hubb - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Would it be worth doing a factory reset and reformat the drive when everything is backed up just in case ?

I would start just by doing the factory reset; if that doesn't help then yes a reformat might help.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 13:37:12 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.