My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Is Aura a beta test for hardware and software?

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

poshsimon

I've been considering Aura, but before I jump in, having read the forum I see lots of issues for the device. I really don't want to end up with issues and challenges to get the unit working properly.

Are users now beta testers?

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 14:47:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

If I was in the same position again, that is looking to purchase a freeview STB. Then I definitely would save my money & purchase something else.

The main issue for me is the picture breaking up, especially when I have set a recording.

For now my main goto dvr is the Humax YouView box that I paid a tenner for on Marketplace & it never let's me down.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 15:20:10 #2 |
  3. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

poshsimon - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've been considering Aura, but before I jump in, having read the forum I see lots of issues for the device. I really don't want to end up with issues and challenges to get the unit working properly.
    Are users now beta testers?

I would say that the Aura is a good device, that is still being refined software wise, and Humax are really listening, but the core functions record, play and catch up do work well.

You’ll be hard pressed to find an alternative PVR with three tuners and 2TB hard drive. There are simpler devices with fewer tuners that do less. You’ll have to decide what suits you best.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 17:33:49 #3 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Asus1964 - 2 hours ago  » 
    If I was in the same position again, that is looking to purchase a freeview STB. Then I definitely would save my money & purchase something else.
    The main issue for me is the picture breaking up, especially when I have set a recording.
    For now my main goto dvr is the Humax YouView box that I paid a tenner for on Marketplace & it never let's me down.

You may have posted elsewhere about pixilation problems, but what are they and when do they occur? Have you checked signal strength and quality? What are they in percentage terms on one of the HD channels?

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 17:41:55 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JTMx

Asus1964 - 6 hours ago  » 

I had some break up issues too, I paid an aerial/tv repair bloke and he came around and sorted it out (replaced some connectors/cables, put a new amp in the loft). My box hasn't had any break ups since. When I do the signal test the tuners get between 75% & 93% signal strength and 100% quality. Before he came I was at around 45%-60% signal strength and 100% quality.

One important thing to note though is initially the fixes made my box worse and it was breaking up far more. However, once I did a factory reset on the box and retuned it (retuning it before factory resetting it didn't help), everything was fine.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 21:57:22 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

Personally I think the Aura is a great little unit, however the Customer Support is not so good when you ask for help and they tell you to unplug your unit at nights to fix the issue that is clearly Humax related.

| Tue 10 Aug 2021 7:56:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

Paul Bton - 20 hours ago  » 

You may have posted elsewhere about pixilation problems, but what are they and when do they occur? Have you checked signal strength and quality? What are they in percentage terms on one of the HD channels?

A lot of the channels that I watch are not broadcast in HD on freeview, eg Yesterday.
    Just checked on Yesterday & the signal is 98% & quality 100%,using the Winterhill transmitter.
    We have 5 freeview tvs & a youview box & never experienced any break up issues with these.
    I have also tried an attenuator on the Humax as suggested & this made no difference
    I believe what another user suggested in another thread that the issue is with the tuners in the Humax Aura.

| Tue 10 Aug 2021 13:54:45 #7 |
  8. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Asus1964 - 19 hours ago  » 

A lot of the channels that I watch are not broadcast in HD on freeview, eg Yesterday.
    Just checked on Yesterday & the signal is 98% & quality 100%,using the Winterhill transmitter.
    We have 5 freeview tvs & a youview box & never experienced any break up issues with these.
    I have also tried an attenuator on the Humax as suggested & this made no difference
    I believe what another user suggested in another thread that the issue is with the tuners in the Humax Aura.

You have done a lot there. Did you try setting the attenuator to around 85% signal strength in the HD channels (apparently Humax have said the tuners are more sensitive in the Aura). Alternatively if you noticed the signal fluctuating up and down in the SD channels (as I did) then you might have a defective Aura and you have grounds for getting it replaced or repaired under consumer law. I replaced mine as under 14 days since purchase. The second Aura had none of these issues in SD Channels. Does either of these scenarios fit your situation?

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 9:09:02 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Asus1964 - 23 hours ago  » 

I had an issue where it would break up on SD channels. But if I rebooted into an SD channel it was fine until I changed channel and either back to the SD channel or a different SD channel there would be break up. I replaced the unit. Can you check a reboot onto an SD channel but without changing channel and see what the picture quality is like.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 13:43:05 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A signal strength of 98% is high, I would try a variable attenuator reducing the signal while keeping 100% quality on the problem channels.

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 13:52:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.