My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Is Humax causing my sound bar to switch 'On'?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

My 3 year old HDR-1100S is connected to my 6 year old, non-smart, Panasonic TX-39A400B TV via HDMI cable. The TV CEC is turned ‘On’ as is the TV’s ‘Power off link’ setting. I have tried two different sound bars connected via HDMI cable from the TV’s HDMI ARC port to sound bar. In both cases the sound output was good and the bar would switch on/off when the TV was switched on (from standby) and off (into standby). So far, so good but, in both cases I find that the sound bar is, sometimes, ‘On’ the next morning. Something is sending audio to the sound bar during night time hours that causes it to switch ‘On’. I have checked that there are no recordings set to record or are in progress when I switch off at night so I do not think it is Humax-recording related. Maybe Humax performs overnight maintenance that is inadvertently sending audio out? The TV is a ‘dumb’ TV so I do not think that it is communicating in any way while in standby mode.

Q1 - Does anyone know what can be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

| Sun 16 Aug 2020 12:19:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Further information: - It never happens during daytime hours. If I watch breakfast TV then switch off then the soundbar switches off and remains off until I watch TV in the evening. This can be a longer period than overnight so it seems to be an overnight thing.

| Sun 16 Aug 2020 15:07:03 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

I think that the recorder switches itself on in the early hours to do it's housekeeping. It is possibly CEC switching on your soundbar when the box switches on.

| Sun 16 Aug 2020 23:08:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Thanks for your input but I think I may have found the culprit. I think it is my TV, not the Humax: -
    Although my TV is a 'dumb' digital terrestrial TV with no internet connection I have found a TV setting that allows the TV to carry out random checks "Over-The-Air" for "Updating the TV Software" when in standby mode. Having manually checked that there are no software updates available (it is a 6 year old TV after all) I turned this setting to "Off".

The TV should no longer carry out these checks and hopefully my soundbar will stay off until I switch the TV on next time. I'll update this post in 2 weeks (if I remember) in case it might help anyone else with the same problem.

| Mon 17 Aug 2020 9:50:02 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

It would certainly be good to know the eventual outcome.

| Mon 17 Aug 2020 9:59:49 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

furkin

I don't suppose for one minute, SCART leads are used !?
    Pin 8 or 16 (I think) is a 'switching' pin, that we have to snip off to stop this sort of thing,,,,, it must have moved on since then, 'eh ?

| Fri 21 Aug 2020 17:04:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

The box does not have Scart and, as I said in my original post, I am using HDMI leads.

I am further along in my testing to identify what is causing the problem. Still to be confirmed but I suspect: -

The Humax overnight housekeeping is the trigger but the TV HDMI-CEC controller is faulty. Even with the TV switched fully off (not in standby) I am finding the TV has been switched into standby mode overnight and the sound bar turned on.

I have connected the TV to sound bar via Optical cable instead. I have also turned the TV HDMI-CEC off and I still found the TV on standby next morning. Due to being connected via optical the sound bar is no longer affected. Tonight, as a test, I am going to unplug the Humax-TV HDMI cable at the TV end to stop Humax affecting my TV.

I'll report back in case it helps others.

| Fri 21 Aug 2020 18:03:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Final report: - The Humax is not the culprit. It is the TV. Even though it is a dumb TV with no internet connection it is 'doing something' between 04:00 and 06:30 hours that causes it to switch from fully off into standby mode. This causes the bar to switch on if connected via HDMI cable.

I accept the TV being in standby mode since that is normal but I do not want the sound bar being on unless I am watching TV and switching to optical connection has fixed this although it now means that I have to switch the bar on and off manually.

Problem solved.

| Sat 22 Aug 2020 9:02:32 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.